Shoutbox

Locking people out from messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Locking people out from messenger (/showthread.php?tid=62159)

Locking people out from messenger by MGrove03 on 06-30-2006 at 06:12 PM

ok i have just experienced something weird my friend said he knew a hack for msn so i asked what it was and he told me all i needed to do was sign out of MSN and try and sign back in but when i tried to sign back in it wouldnt let me it said i was using the wrong username or something. After about a minute i was able to sign back in again and my friend then told me he can lock people out of msn !!  Anyone else know how to do this?

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Chris4 on 06-30-2006 at 10:59 PM

I can't see how he could make you not log in for 1 minute. :S

Try asking him?

RE: Locking people out from messenger by RaceProUK on 07-01-2006 at 12:08 AM

He can't stop you from signing into Messenger, simple as that.

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Reload2 on 07-01-2006 at 01:13 AM

The only way is that he knows your msn password so he could change it while you are signed out, and one minute after change it to the initial one.

RE: Locking people out from messenger by MGrove03 on 07-01-2006 at 08:17 PM

:D i found it its some kind of program where you type in the persons email and when they sign out and sign back in again somehow it locks them out

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Voldemort on 07-01-2006 at 09:08 PM

link? i am curious.... it doesnt seem reasonable to me...

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Thor on 07-01-2006 at 09:21 PM

I can't image how that can work...
Hmm

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Mentality on 07-01-2006 at 09:38 PM

maybe he just typed your password incorrectly a few times at the hotmail site - That locks you out if you type it in to many times - as its linked to messenger - then I assume that would work the same.

Just an idea :S

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Adeptus on 07-01-2006 at 09:48 PM

It sounds like a description of account lockout, although I don't know whether Messenger / Passport use it.

The way that works is that after a certain number of incorrect login attempts, the account is locked out for some time -- let's say one minute.  During the lockout period, even logon attempts with the correct password will fail.  That helps slow down brute force / dictionary password attacks, to where they become impractical.

If this scheme is used, your friend would simply have to try to log on with your Passport email address and any incorrect password enough times to trigger the lockout, to leave you unable to log back on for the lockout period, too.

I seem to remember running into some lockout issues with Passport many years ago, but don't remember the details anymore.

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Mentality on 07-01-2006 at 09:51 PM

Thats what I was saying. - This is most likly what his friend has done.

RE: Locking people out from messenger by Voldemort on 07-01-2006 at 09:53 PM

Oh, yes, what Adeptus says is true, my account was locked once, when I forgot my password....