Shoutbox

Games unavailable - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Games unavailable (/showthread.php?tid=62178)

Games unavailable by Michelle6337 on 06-30-2006 at 09:03 PM

When I try to play games (such as checkers or chess) with somebody on MSN, it always says that the games are unavailable.  Is there something that I can do to fix this?

Thank-you

RE: Games unavailable by Thor on 06-30-2006 at 09:07 PM

This is probably your firewall that's blocking, what anti-virus app do u have?

RE: Games unavailable by RaceProUK on 06-30-2006 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrolinken
What? WTF have firewalls and anti-virus got to do with this?

It'll be server issues most likely. The game itself should use the pre-existing conversation connection to exchange data.
RE: Games unavailable by markee on 07-01-2006 at 02:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrolinken
What? WTF have firewalls and anti-virus got to do with this?

It'll be server issues most likely. The game itself should use the pre-existing conversation connection to exchange data.

It quite possibly coul be a firewall issue or a hardware issue because I have had this problem and it sorted itself out when we opened some ports in our router and our adsl modem becau apparently it is a router too.  I forget the ports you need to open though sorry.

EDIT: I did a google search and messenger uses the ports 3891 to 6901. I hope this helps
RE: Games unavailable by Cam66 on 07-01-2006 at 02:29 AM

I have the same prob, when it first happend I restarted my computer, turned off my firewall and tried restarting messenger, I can't figuer it out:@

RE: Games unavailable by markee on 07-01-2006 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cam66
I have the same prob, when it first happend I restarted my computer, turned off my firewall and tried restarting messenger, I can't figuer it out:@

Have you got a router that you are running your internet through or some kind of modem?  You might need to open some of the ports to be able to do it like I mensioned.
RE: Games unavailable by Astynax on 07-04-2006 at 02:17 PM

if you are running Norton Personal firewall or NIS, then remove port 80 from the protected ports list on the Firewall options window

had the same problem,

can't remember where i found the fix.

odd though that Msn 6.0 games worked fine, with port 80 protected, but in 7.0+ they didn't

RE: Games unavailable by sufcste on 07-04-2006 at 04:15 PM

I have the same problem with different people, but it seems to happen at random. There doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it, because it's not obvious what is causing it. A firewall problem would be consistent, for example.

RE: Games unavailable by Cam66 on 07-04-2006 at 05:02 PM

thanks, i'll try opening those ports

RE: Games unavailable by RaceProUK on 07-04-2006 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yourmama_20
then remove port 80 from the protected ports list
Yeah, that's it, expose a well-known port to attack :mipdodgy:

MSN games do not use port 80: that's reserved for HTTP, the thing that lets you browse websites. My PC has port 80 nicely locked down, as does our router, and guess what? Games still work.
Maybe Messenger says the 'service is unavailable' because the service actually is unavailable!

A few more things:
quote:
odd though that Msn 6.0 games worked fine, with port 80 protected, but in 7.0+ they didn't
Coincidence.
quote:
Originally posted by markee
I did a google search and messenger uses the ports 3891 to 6901.
That is an incomplete range of ports. In fact, there's a post on the forum that lists all the ports Messenger uses, and what for.
quote:
Originally posted by sufcste
There doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it, because it's not obvious what is causing it
Precisely ;)
quote:
And wait for the attacks to happen.
And I'm not joking: an unprotected Windows machine exposed to the Internet will be compromised in, on average, 4 minutes.
RE: RE: Games unavailable by andrewdodd13 on 07-04-2006 at 08:30 PM

quote:
And I'm not joking: an unprotected Windows machine exposed to the Internet will be compromised in, on average, 4 minutes.

That's an old statistic. If you have all the latest security patches at the moment there are no known widespread security holes in Windows.

Not intending to attract unwanted attention, but I've only been using the Windows Firewall for the past year, and I've not been visibly compromised.
RE: Games unavailable by RaceProUK on 07-04-2006 at 08:36 PM

So? Opening port 80 is idiocy unless you're running a webserver. Remember, an attack doesn't have to find a website in order to infiltrate a computer. The best defence is to be invisible to the Internet.

RE: Games unavailable by andrewdodd13 on 07-04-2006 at 08:58 PM

Yes, but as long as there's nothing actually listening on that port you're not vulnerable to attack. (Unless there's a major bug in the underlying OS handling of ports, but there doesn't appear to be one in Windows).

If you already have a trojan, then yeah, that's going to open a port somewhere, but under normal circumstances you'll be safe.

Take a look here (with and without a firewall):
http://scan.sygate.com/quickscan.html

Even with just the Windows Firewall, the only open port I have is ICMP.

RE: Games unavailable by RaceProUK on 07-04-2006 at 11:16 PM

Even a closed, but present, port can expose a machine to attack. I myself use ShieldsUP! from grc.com, and given it's tested some 44 billion firewalls, I figure the info's pretty reliable. After all, whack a door hard enough for long enough, and it will eventually break.

I was going to quote the site, but I can't find the bit where that's mentioned. But anyway, only a truly stealthed system can be considered remotely close to immune from attack.

RE: RE: Games unavailable by Astynax on 07-05-2006 at 03:47 AM

quote:
quote:
then remove port 80 from the protected ports list
Yeah, that's it, expose a well-known port to attack :mipdodgy:

MSN games do not use port 80: that's reserved for HTTP, the thing that lets you browse websites. My PC has port 80 nicely locked down, as does our router, and guess what? Games still work.
Maybe Messenger says the 'service is unavailable' because the service actually is unavailable!

A few more things:
quote:
Coincidence.
quote:
Originally posted by markee
I did a google search and messenger uses the ports 3891 to 6901.
That is an incomplete range of ports. In fact, there's a post on the forum that lists all the ports Messenger uses, and what for.
quote:
Originally posted by sufcste
There doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it, because it's not obvious what is causing it
Precisely ;)
quote:
And wait for the attacks to happen.

norton personal firewall will still protect the port.

but yes Msn does require port 80 for some reason.. im not totally sure why, but removing that port from the list fixed the games up for me, and also many others using messenger 7.0/7.5

i'll run a search on where i found that info

heres where i found the fix, and yes it does work.

http://forum.mess.be/lofiversion/index.php/t14122.html

actually.. i found it here

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.m...n#e16ea50a7a28dcf1

but its pretty much the same thing except that this is a response from MSDN
RE: Games unavailable by RaceProUK on 07-05-2006 at 10:39 AM

quote:
but yes Msn does require port 80
No it doesn't! I've been using Messenger for years, and the only time is even thinks about using port 80 is when you sign in via an HTTP proxy.

Anyway, that solution isn't exposing the port. It's being removed from the 'HTTP' list, which means that, if anything, it's protecting it better!
RE: Games unavailable by Astynax on 07-05-2006 at 12:17 PM

well can you explain why doing this allows games to run, and pls.. before you respond.. do your research.

Port 80 is a commonly used port for the internet, and isn't just used on webservers.

RE: Games unavailable by RaceProUK on 07-05-2006 at 12:34 PM

Port 80 is for HTTP and HTTP alone. This is enforced at all levels of the Internet. Quite simply, if it isn't HTTP, it isn't port 80.

And I don't know why doing that in Norton works: maybe Norton's just buggy.

And if you doubt 80 is always HTTP:
Official IANA Port Number Assignment List
IANA = Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.

quote:
finger           79/tcp    Finger
finger           79/udp    Finger
#                          David Zimmerman <dpz@RUTGERS.EDU>
http             80/tcp    World Wide Web HTTP
http             80/udp    World Wide Web HTTP
www              80/tcp    World Wide Web HTTP
www              80/udp    World Wide Web HTTP
www-http         80/tcp    World Wide Web HTTP
www-http         80/udp    World Wide Web HTTP

#                          Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@W3.org>
hosts2-ns        81/tcp    HOSTS2 Name Server
hosts2-ns        81/udp    HOSTS2 Name Server

RE: Games unavailable by Astynax on 07-05-2006 at 12:44 PM

well its possible that Msn uses port 80 to retrieve the data via http.

the data is cached in temp net files afterwall.

...im to lazy to contact ms, to find the exact problem.

RE: Games unavailable by Dragunov on 07-05-2006 at 07:48 PM

other problems too, like they appear too big in screen, or they don't load, they better fix the bugs in their games too ^o)

RE: Games unavailable by RaceProUK on 07-06-2006 at 11:56 AM

quote:
well its possible that Msn uses port 80 to retrieve the data via http
An outgoing HTTP request won't use the local port 80, as it's a listening port. It'll use a port somewhere above 35000 most lokely. I could go into detail about how it all works, but it may bore people.
RE: Games unavailable by Astynax on 07-07-2006 at 06:46 AM

still.. doesn't explain why this works for NPF users...

RE: Games unavailable by Cam66 on 07-07-2006 at 05:02 PM

allright, I don't really understand anything u guys are talking about. I use norton personal firewall and right now 80 is closed and games do not work, should I open it or should I just leave it closed and not use games. I need help with this one pls:S:S