Shoutbox

Formatting - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Formatting (/showthread.php?tid=62328)

Formatting by cjguare on 07-02-2006 at 02:40 PM

Hey, i need to format my Laptop. Could anyone tell me a way to do this. Im installing a older version of XP and it wont let me just install it. So i need to format it manually lol.

Cheers. CJ

RE: Formatting by Ezra on 07-02-2006 at 03:02 PM

I believe the cd of every xp installation comes with a simple auto format program, but if that one doesn't work I suggest either a Linux live CD or a windows98 boot flop

EDIT: and Please don't double post, there is an edit button!

RE: Formatting by cjguare on 07-02-2006 at 03:07 PM

Yeah ive tried booting from Cd but it wont, and ive tried it through comand prompt but not 100% sure what to type in CP.

Sorry for double post.

RE: Formatting by Ezra on 07-02-2006 at 03:17 PM

using command prompt while running the operating system you want to delete won't work ;)

Like I said, or boot with a linux live cd and use cfdisk or something or use a windows98 boot floppy and use format.

To get to know how to use it type /? as a command, then you will get the explanation.

ex: format /?

but if you want to format your c drive an easy way is just:

format C: /Q

That will format your C drive...

RE: Formatting by Reload2 on 07-03-2006 at 12:49 AM

If you have a XP CD, you can easily format (but you can't format if you inserted the cd and run it on Windows). When you are booting, select booting from CD (Usually F12 or something like that) and then it will ask for licence&agreements and after that, it will prompt you to format.

RE: Formatting by Hank on 07-03-2006 at 12:52 AM

Make sure your BIOS is set to Boot from CD first

RE: Formatting by Weyzza on 07-03-2006 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
Make sure your BIOS is set to Boot from CD first
Then...

Follow the instructions from this page.

I found that it was very helpful when I formatted my PC for the first time ;)
RE: Formatting by cjguare on 07-04-2006 at 12:01 AM

Cheers guys, will try it in the morning. One problem, i knew i could do it by booting from CD but it doesnt give me that option. Maybe its because im trying to do it with a laptop? i dont know lol

RE: Formatting by Voldemort on 07-04-2006 at 12:35 AM

No, thats not the problem. I have formatted laptops with no problem.

RE: Formatting by cjguare on 07-04-2006 at 01:40 AM

Oh right ok, ill give it a go tomorrow. But what i was wondering really is there any other way than boot from CD that i can format it?

RE: Formatting by markee on 07-04-2006 at 07:44 AM

You can only do it by the C, there's no other way.  I know with my toshiba laptop I have a recovery disc that I have to use if I want to format my computer (I'm quite sure there is a partition on my laptop where it installs it from).  You might have a simular thing, but you will need to use the CD, making sure the boot order is for the C drive before the HDD and that the CD is in the drive before restarting the computer.  Good luck and have fun with th hours of re-installing ahead of you (Y)