Shoutbox

WLM file sharing and call problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM file sharing and call problems (/showthread.php?tid=62475)

WLM file sharing and call problems by john_p12 on 07-04-2006 at 12:22 AM

hello, i've downloaded and installed WLM 8.0.0792.00 and everything seems to be normal, except:

first the file sharing does not work at all, it says that my computer does not allow file sharing.  i dont get why, i've checked all thats in the troubleshoot, i.e. admin status, browser security, messenger addons, etc.

my second problem is that whenever i "call" someone, the connection is made but the person on the other end does not hear me.  i do hear them and it works well on my side, but they dont. yes my mic is in working order, i've recorded many things before.

well, as i probably would not use these WLM functions frequently, i thought i should lay these out for those who would, or have encountered the same problems.

thanks good day.

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by DarkMe on 07-04-2006 at 01:18 AM

I have the same problem and I haven't found anything on Internet to fix it:S

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by john_p12 on 07-04-2006 at 04:39 PM

ya i know i've googled it like 100 different ways..
sucks to be us.
good day.

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by Renovatio on 07-05-2006 at 06:29 AM

Your problem is "harddisk file system".

You should use NTFS. if you use FAT32, you cant use filesharing.

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by Astynax on 07-05-2006 at 06:52 AM

incorrect

FAT32 formated drives will work fine for File sharing.

its Sharing Folders that requires NTFS

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by RaceProUK on 07-05-2006 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by john_p12
the file sharing does not work at all, it says that my computer does not allow file sharing
Is that the old sending files, or the new Sharing Folders? I ask as Sharing Folders requires NTFS.
quote:
Originally posted by john_p12
the connection is made but the person on the other end does not hear me
Is your contact's PC set up correctly? It does sound like it's an issue their end.
RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by john_p12 on 07-05-2006 at 03:37 PM

- yes it is the sharing folders. the old file transfer works. so ok i see its ntfs, alright thanks.

- and yes thats what i thought too but it seems my contact can hear other people, so i thought the problem was on my side.

sorry i just thought these problems could've been a common thing, i guess they're not, so i'll probably figure them out ..in later time.

thanks.

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by john_p12 on 07-05-2006 at 03:41 PM

oops forgot my question:

which is standard, NTFS or FAT32 ?

is everyone supposed to know this and change it, or is NTFS now standard and my compoter is just old ?

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by andrewdodd13 on 07-05-2006 at 06:35 PM

NTFS is the filesystem used by Windows NT (funnily enough) and FAT32 is used by Windows 95OSR2/3, 98 and ME.

Luckily, Windows 2000/XP can understand both, however NTFS is the only FS which uses Metadata for files, with extended attributes such as security and the like. (And other data which is obviously required for Sharing Folders).

To convert a drive from FAT32 to NTFS (which is a relatively safe process, assuming the power doesn't go off):

code:
convert c: /FS:NTFS
If this is your main drive, then you'll have to reboot for the conversion to take place.

Also note that a converted drive will not be as tidy (a full defrag should sort this, though) as a flat-formatted NTFS drive, so if possible it's better just to reinstall the system and choose NTFS during Windows XP installation.
RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by RaceProUK on 07-06-2006 at 11:51 AM

Beware that the conversion could take quite a long time to complete, depending on how big the drive is, and how full.

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by andrewdodd13 on 07-06-2006 at 10:53 PM

Furthermore to the requirement of NTFS for Sharing Folders, looking through my NT Service List at the moment reveals a new service called "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service". So, that means SF (sharing folders) uses the USN Journal (a log of any changes ever made to the file system) to track changes.

To most people, this isn't a problem. But, by default, for reasons I'm about to mention, the USN Journal feature of an NTFS partition is not turned on by default.
Why? Because it can get *very* big if you do a lot of file-intensive disk operations. Before I knew about how to delete it (which I randomly found out via another task) it was becoming upwards of 500mb on my disc, and becoming quite fragmented at the same time.

So, personally I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it, just for sharing folders.

RE: WLM file sharing and call problems by RaceProUK on 07-07-2006 at 10:13 AM

Are you sure it's that service used for Sharing Folders? I mean, is there a way to see what apps are using a particular service?