Shoutbox

4 Port D-Link Router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: 4 Port D-Link Router (/showthread.php?tid=62642)

4 Port D-Link Router by matty on 07-06-2006 at 02:39 AM

Ok so I was just at my friends place trying to figure out the problem with their network but no go. There are 2 PCs connected through a DLink DI604 broadband router. PC1 connects fine with no issues speed is fine, PC2 connects to the Router at 100mbps but the connection from the Router to the Modem is only 10mbps causing it to be extremly slow. Is there anything I might be missing?

RE: 4 Port D-Link Router by Hank on 07-06-2006 at 02:41 AM

wasnt there some problems with some Dlink Modem/Routers reported about a week or 2 ago?

RE: 4 Port D-Link Router by matty on 07-06-2006 at 02:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
wasnt there some problems with some Dlink Modem/Routers reported about a week or 2 ago?
Not sure, they have had the Modem replaced and the phone company out checking the lines so its either the router or her computer.
RE: 4 Port D-Link Router by Hank on 07-06-2006 at 02:45 AM

im sure it was reported on neowin what modems/routers had the issues .. i'm trying to find it

RE: 4 Port D-Link Router by ShawnZ on 07-06-2006 at 03:06 AM

Their internet connection is more than 10mbps?

RE: 4 Port D-Link Router by Adeptus on 07-06-2006 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
the connection from the Router to the Modem is only 10mbps causing it to be extremly slow
I doubt that has anything to do with whatever problem your friend is having.  10 Mbps is often all the ethernet connection on cable and DSL modems is designed for.  It would cap a file download from the Internet at about 1 MB/sec -- is that what he is getting and you are calling "extremely slow"?  The speed used by the WAN port would not have any effect on things like copying files across the local network.

In the event your friend is fortunate enough to have an Internet connection rated faster than 10Mbps and this actually matters,  you probably have ethernet autosensing selecting the wrong speed.  Among the things I'd suggest for that are:

1) Check the D-Link website for newer firmware and update the router.  Any known issues with that would be corrected through new firmware.

2) Try another cable.  While unlikely, a bad cable could cause autosensing to fall back to 10 Mbps (and could also account for framing errors and further slowdown during operation).

3) Way back in the day, when 10/100 ethernet and autosensing devices were still new and crappy, the trick to getting them to do the right thing often was changing the order in which the devices were powered on -- try turning both off, then power them on modem first and router first, to see if that makes any difference.
RE: 4 Port D-Link Router by ibisdevil2 on 07-06-2006 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal

Yes their was but that was a security issue.
RE: 4 Port D-Link Router by Ezra on 07-06-2006 at 09:34 AM

Maybe the WAN port of the router is only 10 Mbps, this is the case somtimes, because commercial lines faster than 10Mbps are still not so common.