Shoutbox

[REQ] Auto update lang file - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [REQ] Auto update lang file (/showthread.php?tid=62763)

[REQ] Auto update lang file by Chancer on 07-07-2006 at 06:49 PM

some of you may have noticed i'm making a pt-br translation to MP!L.

but, sometimes it needs to be updated, so I was wondering if someone could create a script which could check a parameter (the 'version' in this case) and download the new file if the old isnt up-to-date

is it possible??

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by cooldude_i06 on 07-07-2006 at 07:45 PM

aren't translation files distributed with MP!L itself? Where would you be checking for updates?

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by absorbation on 07-07-2006 at 08:01 PM

Yes, they will be updated, but contact Patchou about your translation fixes. Otherwise they will not be noticed. An update will be here very very very soon btw I can tell you that ;).

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Chancer on 07-07-2006 at 08:13 PM

but my translation wont be distributed with the setup...Patchou dont want to add regional languages (pt-BR is one of them), so users need to download byt themselves...

it'd be nice if a script could, at least, warn them when a newer version is out

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by cooldude_i06 on 07-07-2006 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
but my translation wont be distributed with the setup...Patchou dont want to add regional languages (pt-BR is one of them), so users need to download byt themselves...

it'd be nice if a script could, at least, warn them when a newer version is out

Yeah, but where is the translation stored? Is there a translations database, or is it stored in the scripts database, or as an attachment in the forums, or on your own file server?
RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Chancer on 07-07-2006 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
Yeah, but where is the translation stored? Is there a translations database, or is it stored in the scripts database, or as an attachment in the forums, or on your own file server?

I can store in my own server....

is it possible?
would som1 do it?

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Dhaya on 07-07-2006 at 11:35 PM

I'm interested in doing a script like that. I'll begin tomorrow morning :p

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by cooldude_i06 on 07-07-2006 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dhaya
I'm interested in doing a script like that. I'll begin tomorrow morning :p

But wouldn't that be a waste for having a script that checks for updates for only one translation. If you decide to include the ability to check for multiple translations then you would need a centralized server to store all of them in.
RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Dhaya on 07-07-2006 at 11:43 PM

i'm thinking about something ^^

it might be interesting doing a script whose behavior is quite like the Extension panel in Firefox.

So it would work both for unofficial languages and scripts which haven't auto-update feature.

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Menthix on 07-08-2006 at 12:03 AM

In that case you might want to work together with [Release] Script Updates : View and install new scripts from www.msgpluslive.net.

It sounds like a cool idea to me. Maybe I could arrange some stuff, like hosting translations not included in setup somewhere on the msgpluslive.net server so it will be more reliable.

Something that automatically notifies you about scripts and translations updates could be awesome when it's done right.

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by cooldude_i06 on 07-08-2006 at 12:14 AM

Yeah that would be a good, but to accomplish this you would need to find out the version number of each script installed, and AFAIK there is no way to do that.

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Dhaya on 07-08-2006 at 12:33 AM

i have an idea that scripters who would have to put their script in the updater create and host a file somewhere with a specific format, so the updater analyze it and stores it in a database. then when the scripter updates his scripts, he just has to update the little file hosted, and the updater will know if there is a diff between the version, where to download the new file, eventually a changelog...

what do you think of that ?

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by cooldude_i06 on 07-08-2006 at 12:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dhaya
i have an idea that scripters who would have to put their script in the updater create and host a file somewhere with a specific format, so the updater analyze it and stores it in a database. then when the scripter updates his scripts, he just has to update the little file hosted, and the updater will know if there is a diff between the version, where to download the new file, eventually a changelog...

what do you think of that ?

It would be better if the registry was used. Since all of the scripts are already stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings\Scripts\. All you need is for each script to have a key with its own version number. This would be better if it were actually a feature of Plus! itself, just like the extension manager in firefox.

Another thing, the RSS feed for the Scripts Database currently does not have an element for version number. Here are my suggestions:

1. Give each item an element containing the script's id. Right now the only way to find your own script when parsing is by using the download link because that stays consistent. The name does not due to the version number on its end.

2. Seperate the name and version number into different elements. This way it will be easier for scripters to find out there version number. Currently I have to compare the name which contains the version number on the end.

3. Add a php filtering variable that shows only a particular element. Ex. rss.php?itemid=39 will only display the plugin with that id. This will help scripts in 2 ways: one the bandwidth used will be reduced because you wont have to download info about all the other scripts, and two, you won't have to parse the script so it will save processing time.
RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Menthix on 07-08-2006 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Here are my suggestions:
All 3 should be do-able, I'll get back to you about it somewhere tomorrow.

quote:
This would be better if it were actually a feature of Plus! itself, just like the extension manager in firefox.
Agreed, but if we do this right, then maybe we could get Patchou to include it as part of Plus! (or as script bundeled in setup) in the future.
RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by cooldude_i06 on 07-08-2006 at 01:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
This would be better if it were actually a feature of Plus! itself, just like the extension manager in firefox.
Agreed, but if we do this right, then maybe we could get Patchou to include it as part of Plus! (or as script bundeled in setup) in the future.

Yeah, that would be good too. The ScriptInfo.xml file actually contains an attribute for "Version", but I can't find any place where it is used. Perhaps if Plus! would make this attribute mandatory, and export it as a registry key along side the Enabled key, it would make it possible.

You could physically load the script info for each script and check the version, but that would be wasteful.
RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Chancer on 07-08-2006 at 02:11 AM

you're having good ideas, but what about my lang file??

RE: [REQ] Auto update lang file by Chancer on 09-07-2006 at 03:22 AM

UP!