Shoutbox

[resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED (/showthread.php?tid=62847)

[resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by AberNStein on 07-08-2006 at 10:06 PM

disclaimer: you'll be modifying msn. this violates your eula probably. do so at your own risk.

by popular demand:
How to make the infobar red.
1. get resource hacker (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/)
2. open msgres.dll
3. find (ctrl+f or in the view menu) "infobar" (sans quotes)
4. find next (f3 or in the view menu) until you get to the stylesheets (in the 4005 folder)
5. you want to find things that look like

code:
infobar
{
Background:rcclr(1415);
and change them to
code:
infobar
{
Background:argb(255,255,00,00);
there are a bunch of such things
some might have "rcclr(20025)" or something as the colour
as long as it's a Background:rcclr within an infobar {, you'll want to make it argb(255,255,00,00)
6. close reshacker, save over msgres.dll

and that's my tutorial. obviously argb(255,255,00,00) could be any colour you like. i think it looks best in yellow (a.k.a. argb(255,255,255,00))

next up: changing the text colour in the infobar.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by matty on 07-08-2006 at 10:07 PM

Ummm why is this in scripts?

RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by deAd on 07-08-2006 at 10:07 PM

Wrong forum; even though people wanted it you still shouldn't put it here ;)

RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by AberNStein on 07-08-2006 at 10:08 PM

fine then move it.

RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by matty on 07-08-2006 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AberNStein
fine then move it.
I have already reported it to be moved. As well you might want to add a disclaimer because modifying any part of Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger is against its EULA.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by AberNStein on 07-08-2006 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
fine then move it.
I have already reported it to be moved. As well you might want to add a disclaimer because modifying any part of Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger is against its EULA.
isn't installing msgplus a violation of the EULA?
RE: RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by segosa on 07-08-2006 at 10:37 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
fine then move it.
isn't installing msgplus a violation of the EULA?

No, MsgPlus doesn't modify the exe.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by AberNStein on 07-08-2006 at 10:44 PM

neither did I :)

RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by RaceProUK on 07-08-2006 at 10:53 PM

quote:
rcclr(1415)
is probably linking to item 1415 in the Stringtable, so changing that should work too, and you'd only have to change it once :D
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by matty on 07-08-2006 at 10:55 PM

quote:
neither did I :)
You are changing the original contents of the file. Thats illegal. Messenger Plus! patches the UFiles in memory not directly to the file itself. You on the otherhand are changing the actual file.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by AberNStein on 07-08-2006 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
rcclr(1415)
is probably linking to item 1415 in the Stringtable, so changing that should work too, and you'd only have to change it once :D
other things use the same colour. i checked.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by Mushroom_Man on 07-10-2006 at 08:39 PM

quote:
You are changing the original contents of the file. Thats illegal. Messenger Plus! patches the UFiles in memory not directly to the file itself. You on the otherhand are changing the actual file.

What a trivial difference.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by user27089 on 07-10-2006 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom_Man
quote:

Well, what Messenger Plus! does is hook itself to Windows Live Messenger, it doesn't actually change any of the files in Windows Live Messenger at all, it has it's on .exe file, it's own .dll files etc. All it does is search for the installed Windows Live Messenger, and attach itself every time Windows Live Messenger is started. Whereas, using software like reshack modifies the .exe file and the .dll files, which are propery of Microsoft, even when they are on your computer. When pressing "I accept" during installation, you accept that you will not modify any of these files. It's the equivelant of signing a contract, by doing what AberN Stein has suggested would be to break this contract, therefore breaking also breaking the law by editing copyrighted files.

Sorry if I've repeated anything previously in the thread, I just thought that Mushroom_Man hadn't understood, so I thought I could explain it in a simpler form.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by AberNStein on 07-10-2006 at 09:20 PM

quote:
I like to think so.
My method is effectively a really minor skin.
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by RaceProUK on 07-11-2006 at 08:50 AM

quote:
The difference is far from trivial. Memory patching is legal, as it doesn't even touch the files. Hell, the Windows loader uses memory patching when loading all the DLLs a process needs!
RE: [resource hack tutorial] MAKE THE INFOBAR RED by ShawnZ on 07-11-2006 at 08:58 AM

quote:
quote:
I like to think so.
My method is effectively a really minor skin.

a really minor skin --- that modifies messenger.

not that i care in any way about the eula, but get your facts straight.