Shoutbox

Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out (/showthread.php?tid=62856)

Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by Seamaiden on 07-09-2006 at 12:02 AM

This is a new installation of Windows Live Messenger. I finally uninstalled MSN Messenger 7.5.0324 and Messenger Plus! 3.63.148 (rebooted, removed their leftover files, and rebooted again) and upgraded to Windows Live Messenger 8.0.0787.00 and Messenger Live Plus! 4.0.0.235 (and rebooted).

In Tools - Options - Personal, the Edit Profile button is grayed out. How do I ungray the button so I can create and edit a profile?

Do I have to go here to get a Windows Live ID in order to ungray that button?

Going there, it looks like it wants me to create a new hotmail address. Is there any way to update my existing hotmail address (and current .NET Passport) to Windows Live, because when I try to enter it in there it says it's not available. Why is it not available? Can't my hotmail, .NET Passport and Windows Live ID be the same hotmail address?

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by Seamaiden on 07-09-2006 at 12:21 AM

Here is what is says about creating a Windows Live ID. The thing I don't understand is "Check Availability". Either you can use your existing hotmail, .NET Passport as Windows Live ID, or you can't. Please explain why it says I have to type in a new email address. I really don't want to do that. I want one hotmail address for both .NET Passport and Windows Live. Do I have to create a new hotmail (NET Passport) that has fewer characters or something in order to use it as my Windows Live ID?

Here is my existing address that is my hotmail and .NET Passport.

code:
<removed for privacy> @ hotmail.com
Is says that address is unavailable as a Windows Live ID. Does anyone know why?

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by ddunk on 07-09-2006 at 12:26 AM

Try "Create your space" at http://spaces.msn.com/, see if you are able to login through there. This is the site where the "Edit Profile" button would send you.

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by RaceProUK on 07-09-2006 at 12:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Seamaiden
You already have one: you're using it for Messenger :P
RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by Seamaiden on 07-09-2006 at 08:08 AM

I can manually log in at MySpaces.com, but I never set up a profile page there with MSN Messenger. So if I manually create the page at MySpaces.com, then the Edit Profile button will be ungrayed? What about the Windows Live ID? Will it then let me use my existing hotmail address as my Windows Live ID?

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by RaceProUK on 07-09-2006 at 08:29 PM

quote:
MySpaces.com
You mean http://spaces.msn.com.
RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by Seamaiden on 07-09-2006 at 08:55 PM

Yes. Please tell me how to get the Windows Live ID to be my current hotmail address.

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by RaceProUK on 07-09-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
You already have one: you're using it for Messenger :P

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by CookieRevised on 07-09-2006 at 10:55 PM

[off topic rant]

RaceProUK, that's not what she is asking for at all... In fact, she has many many questions to be answered.

Can you please at least read the OP's posts and questions, instead of quickly posting in each and every thread you encounter with half-answers and non-helpfull stuff. This isn't a race.

[/off topic rant]

----------------------------------

quote:
In Tools - Options - Personal, the Edit Profile button is grayed out. How do I ungray the button so I can create and edit a profile?

Going there, it looks like it wants me to create a new hotmail address.
Indeed, that page is to create a new Windows Live ID, not to sign in with your current one or fix anything related to your problem. It's just a sign up page.

quote:
Is there any way to update my existing hotmail address (and current .NET Passport) to Windows Live, because when I try to enter it in there it says it's not available. Why is it not available?
Because that page is to only make a new Windows Live ID, when you enter an existing one it will notify you the ID you entered is already in use and thus not available anymore to be taken... as it is of course already be taken by yourself ;)

quote:
Can't my hotmail, .NET Passport and Windows Live ID be the same hotmail address?
Yes. In fact your existing hotmail address is already and automatically a .NET Passport/Windows Live ID...

"Windows Live ID" is the new name for ".NET Passport".

quote:
Here is what is says about creating a Windows Live ID. The thing I don't understand is "Check Availability". Either you can use your existing hotmail, .NET Passport as Windows Live ID, or you can't. Please explain why it says I have to type in a new email address. I really don't want to do that.
Because you're visiting a page which has got nothing todo with your problem (much). That page is actually to sign up for a Windows Live ID in case you don't already have one. Or to make another one.

quote:
I want one hotmail address for both .NET Passport and Windows Live. Do I have to create a new hotmail (NET Passport) that has fewer characters or something in order to use it as my Windows Live ID?
Nope (as it is already a Windows Live ID). You probably need to activate it somehow though.... Most likely by signin in into the .NET Passport network and maybe entering your details (note that this is a calculated guess, as I never experienced someone having problems with this).

Try to sign in on http://www.passport.com/ and check your settings (maybe just signing in is already enough) and registered information. Also try todo what Ddunk suggested.

If nothing helps, I'd suggest to mail the support team about it:
http://feedback.live.com/eform.aspx?productkey=wl...feedback_home_form

quote:
Here is my existing address that is my hotmail and .NET Passport.
code:
star************@hotmail.com

Tip: I strongly suggest to not put your address like that on public forums, etc. Not only will spam bots pick up on it, it could also be abused. ;)

--------------------

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by NagamasaAzai
For the Windows Live email, read this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=60569
that thread is about the news that you could obtain a @live.com email and the likes, not about the problem Seamaiden has.

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by Nagamasa on 07-10-2006 at 05:55 AM

For the Windows Live email, read this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=60569

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by Seamaiden on 07-10-2006 at 06:53 AM

You didn't have to remove my hotmail address from this thread, lol. It's publicly viewable on 100+ forums in my user profiles under MSN Messenger.

I can signed in with my .NET Passport at http://accountservices.msn.com. All my details are still in there. The Edit Profile button is still grayed out. I guess I can try manually creating a profile like someone else suggested, and if that doesn't work or it doesn't let me do that, I'll have to contact support.

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by naudyone on 01-20-2011 at 11:51 AM

What sort of an idiot is responding to queries here - I also have the problem where the Edit Profile is grayed out and the answers given do not even remotely address the question.
Could someone with some knowledge please respond, instead of the smart alec that responded to earlier posts

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by Spunky on 01-20-2011 at 01:20 PM

Wow, you've just revived a thread from almost 5 years ago (before I even registered here...)

The information is going to be a little out of date, don't you think?

Don't forget that people that offer to help you out here does this for free and are under no obligation and may not always be right.

I would suggest that, seeing as your problem is related to Windows Live Messenger, that you search for Windows Live Messenger support

I would however remind you that without giving people details (even basic ones such as your current operating system or Windows Live Messenger version), nobody will be able to help you

RE: Windows Live Messenger - Edit Profile - is grayed out by matty on 01-20-2011 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by naudyone
What sort of an idiot is responding to queries here

Just to add to what Spunky said, we aren't Microsoft. We don't know why they disable shit. We can make educated guesses that are often correct. If you want to know why go to the source instead of coming to our forum and calling us idiots...

Maybe if you did a bit of research you would see that Messenger Plus! isn't affiliated with Microsoft in any way, shape or form...