Shoutbox

Blue + Red Supergiants - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Blue + Red Supergiants (/showthread.php?tid=62919)

Blue + Red Supergiants by Jurassic_Ice on 07-09-2006 at 07:01 PM

They are extremely hot and bright, with surface temperatures of between 20,000 - 50,000°C.

wOW.!!1!!

Look at the size of that star!!! compared to our sun!! and compared to earth!! wow!!

talk about how big the universe is...

[Image: supergiant6pi.jpg]

oh and if you think that is big.....this is a Red Supergiant...also known as Aldebaran, compare that to our sun....it is quite bigger than the blue supergiant...so yea. basicaly the earth is smaller than the dot at the end of this sentence.

[Image: Aldebaran.jpg]

I just wanted to share  :D

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by NiteMare on 07-09-2006 at 07:05 PM

remember, our sun is still a very young sun, thats why its smaller, its only a few billion years old

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by vaccination on 07-09-2006 at 07:05 PM

There is a brilliant site that shows this alot better alltough i cna't remember the URL, will look.

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by Jurassic_Ice on 07-09-2006 at 07:55 PM

i find it quite interesting...

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by M73A on 07-09-2006 at 09:09 PM

the size of the universe is mind boggling, it jus drives my mind mad just trying to think of how big it ALL is and where the space comes from

RE: RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by Jurassic_Ice on 07-10-2006 at 02:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
nice find there! :)

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by Jurassic_Ice on 07-10-2006 at 04:53 AM

sorry for double posting but i want everyone to look at this:

this star is called Hypergiant:

wow.

[Image: 1806-20b.jpg]

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by DeathzLord on 07-10-2006 at 09:10 AM

what if earth comes near 1 of the gaints when our sun explodes (they told our sun already used more then 50% of its ehm gasoline)...

Damn then we are TOASTED!!

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by ShawnZ on 07-10-2006 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
all i can say is .... lol

..... i'd have to agree there.
RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by stoshrocket on 07-10-2006 at 11:17 AM

dude... our physics teacher is an enthusiast about this stuff... we had a lesson on the significance of Earth in the universe.. we're a small planet, revolving around one (small) sun out of billions in our galaxy in the outer area of the arm of the milky way which is one of billions of galaxies in our universe... Everyone turned emo for the rest of the day

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by vaccination on 07-10-2006 at 03:59 PM

I can imagine. :P my Science teacher is like that and all the science teachers in our school send emails to each other with loads of sites with information on this sought of stuff then they start doing a lesson about it. Gets you down very easily.

RE: RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by Vimto on 07-10-2006 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
the size of the universe is mind boggling, it jus drives my mind mad just trying to think of how big it ALL is and where the space comes from

The mind does boggle. I always annoy myself with thinking of how it was made. God theories etc. How long 'till the sun explodes?
RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by NiteMare on 07-10-2006 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DeathzLord
what if earth comes near 1 of the gaints when our sun explodes (they told our sun already used more then 50% of its ehm gasoline)...

Damn then we are TOASTED!!

First off, we would not survive the explosion of our sun, we, wouldn't even know it blew up untill 8 minutes after,

secondly, 50% of its hydrogen, that sill means it can run on the other 50% for several billion years still

third, there is no garentee that our sun will explode, it could simply turn in to a dwarf star
RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by -Bogan- on 07-11-2006 at 07:50 AM

Intense stuff right here btw if it did turn into a dwarf star wouldn't we die slowly due to there being know heat on earth.

RE: Blue + Red Supergiants by Thor on 07-11-2006 at 10:44 AM

Yeah, but try thinking about how the universe started... The "Big Bang"..  :D

That's driving me nuts!