Shoutbox

External USB2 Hard Drive not recognized by Windows - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: External USB2 Hard Drive not recognized by Windows (/showthread.php?tid=62952)

External USB2 Hard Drive not recognized by Windows by alegator on 07-10-2006 at 04:35 AM

My Bytecc external USB2 enclosure with an internal IBM 60GB drive is no longer recognized by Windows.My computer recognizes the drive as a USB device, and that's it. If I connect/disconnect several times it will sometimes (1 out of 10 times) be randomly picked up by WinXP as another drive in MY COMPUTER, as it should. Does this mean the hard drive is close to its end?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Windows XP SP2.

RE: External USB2 Hard Drive not recognized by Windows by RaceProUK on 07-10-2006 at 10:41 AM

Check all the internal and external connections are secure and fully connected, then try again. If you're still having problems, then try a different machine. If you're still having problems, it's conceivable that the enclosure or the HDD itself are going out. You can check it's not the HDD by connecting it via the usual internal IDE connections.

RE: External USB2 Hard Drive not recognized by Windows by alegator on 07-10-2006 at 02:21 PM

Thanks Racepro, I solved the issue by setting the HDD pins in the enclosure to a different pin configuration. The drive needs to be set to MASTER, but in the config map it shows two possibe master pin configurations. I changed to the other master setting and it seems to work fine now.