Shoutbox

[release]MassMsg - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [release]MassMsg (/showthread.php?tid=62972)

[release]MassMsg by crank on 07-10-2006 at 01:09 PM

MassMsg is a script that allows you to send a message to all contacts you have an opened conversation window with. After sending you can choose to close all windows in once.
In the message you can use commands (for example a quicktext), it's multiline, and you can use the bbcode style color tags.

Acces from Contact List ;)

[Image: MassMsg.png]

Download

RE: [release]MassMsg by -dt- on 07-10-2006 at 01:13 PM

doesnt /all do this? :P

RE: [release]MassMsg by Paril on 07-10-2006 at 01:14 PM

Yeah, both do the same thing.. but with this it closes convos too, if you want to :P (Which helps me, as I "/all Have to go, Cya." alot :P)

RE: [release]MassMsg by RaceProUK on 07-10-2006 at 01:39 PM

Good effort, but I'm afraid the following QuickText will do the same thing:

code:
/all Message to all you suckers who don't have a life :P
/all /close
Set to 'One Message per line'.
RE: [release]MassMsg by crank on 07-10-2006 at 04:22 PM

Doesn't all message every contact online? or was i wrong about that?

RE: [release]MassMsg by Eljay on 07-10-2006 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by crank
Doesn't all message every contact online? or was i wrong about that?

you were wrong :P
RE: [release]MassMsg by crank on 07-10-2006 at 04:28 PM

Bah, in that case, there's not much use for it.
I could add some more features, tho everything i could add to it could just as easily be done with a quicktext...
(like changing status or logging of after the message, those kinds of things)

RE: [release]MassMsg by ~INVASION~ on 07-10-2006 at 04:33 PM

good work tho :P

RE: [release]MassMsg by Thor on 07-10-2006 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by crank
Bah, in that case, there's not much use for it.
I could add some more features, tho everything i could add to it could just as easily be done with a quicktext...
(like changing status or logging of after the message, those kinds of things)
Yes, but if it wasn't Quicktext in MP!L, then this script would be mre useful :)

And more features is a very good idea.
RE: [release]MassMsg by Jellings on 07-10-2006 at 06:13 PM

Although the quicktexts exist this is really nicely made.
I'm a lot more likely to use these options now that they're in a script and have tickboxes and such.

RE: [release]MassMsg by Yetike on 07-11-2006 at 09:19 AM

How about changing it to a script which would send a message to specific contats or groups or even all contacts - you could make a window with checkboxes, like this:

| o All - o None
|
| o Contact Group 1
| o Contact Group 2
| o Contact Group 3
|
| o Contact 1
| o Contact 2
| o Contact 3

("o" stands for checkboxes here)

It would be good because the group message function of MSN invites all group members into a group conversation which is pretty annoying IMHO.

RE: [release]MassMsg by crank on 07-11-2006 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Yetike
How about changing it to a script which would send a message to specific contats or groups or even all contacts - you could make a window with checkboxes, like this:
because with the scripting api i can't send messages to anyone without opening a chat window with each of them, and close them again, most likely it will just flood your pc and crash wlm.

RE: [release]MassMsg by Yetike on 07-11-2006 at 05:15 PM

I see... :(

RE: [release]MassMsg by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 09:57 AM

Great Script! Could you add a command like /massmsg [add message here] so we can just type that in fast.

RE: [release]MassMsg by giveitdeath on 07-14-2007 at 03:05 PM

Can you not add a feature to automatically open convos with everyone online instead of having to open them all yourself? If this is possible id be using this script alot.

RE: [release]MassMsg by markee on 07-16-2007 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by giveitdeath
Can you not add a feature to automatically open convos with everyone online instead of having to open them all yourself? If this is possible id be using this script alot.
This has been tried in the past but failed because of a message limit that the Messenger Protocol has.  Sorry.
RE: RE: [release]MassMsg by giveitdeath on 07-16-2007 at 04:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
This has been tried in the past but failed because of a message limit that the Messenger Protocol has.  Sorry.

Why not make it automated so it opens one convo at a time, sends the message, then closes the convo and repeats the process for every contact online. Would that work?
RE: [release]MassMsg by markee on 07-16-2007 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Why not make it automated so it opens one convo at a time, sends the message, then closes the convo and repeats the process for every contact online. Would that work?
No that wouldn't, the problem is a limit of how many total messages can be sent in a finite amount of time.  I am not sure of the actual limit, but I do know that your method will not work.  The only way to do it would be to send the message to a small group of people, wait a little, then move onto the next group, wait, so on and so forth.  However even with this method there lies the problem that you may be sending messages while the process is going or even making another one of these mass messages which would mean that you have to have a larger allowance for the groups which means it all takes longer.  There is also another problem whereby people can go offline before you send them the message or others come online and ruin the groupings and some people get sent the message twice (assuming you were to get the contacts again from the contact list each time to overcome the offline problem).

In short, it may be possible to do what you ask but it is a lot of effort and A LOT of thought has to go into it to account for all possibilities and personally I do not see much gain out of doing such a thing other than for advertising purposes which I disagree with anyway (say NO to SPAM).
RE: [release]MassMsg by aNILEator on 07-16-2007 at 04:34 PM

I was thinking about this as i use /all to advertise if i have a new video out, how do BOTS like spleak and smarterchild etc work because surely they'd just be locked up all the time, there must be some way around it

RE: [release]MassMsg by markee on 07-16-2007 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I was thinking about this as i use /all to advertise if i have a new video out, how do BOTS like spleak and smarterchild etc work because surely they'd just be locked up all the time, there must be some way around it
CookieRevised's reply to [Request] Multi msg script
In that whole thread, and supported by that post of Cookie's it shows that their are limits.  My guess with the bots is that they are using a different version of protocol which did not have any limitations or they have some other special methods to bypass this problem.... maybe the limit is in the WLM version that we download? I'm only speculating on these things, it would be nice for one of Cookie's big posts to explain the intricate workings of this stuff for future reference....