Shoutbox

Forcing A script not to record an event - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Forcing A script not to record an event (/showthread.php?tid=62994)

Forcing A script not to record an event by NiteMare on 07-10-2006 at 06:09 PM

do you know any way to get a script to not record an event in the chat log, such as a personal message change, with my countdown script , it really can throw off the rythem of the log. 60% of a log is all personal message changes

i've heard its not possable thats why i'm posting it here, to see if patchou can add that feature to teh scripting area

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by RaceProUK on 07-11-2006 at 09:27 AM

It's not the script that logs the change, so I think it isn't possible to do this.

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by foaly on 07-11-2006 at 09:30 AM

can't you just disable the log feature for a while?
like:
deactivate Chatlogs
change name
activate Chatlogs

if it happens fast enough no data will be lost...

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by noroom on 07-11-2006 at 09:33 AM

Or you could set your countdown script to update once per hour. That way you wouldn't flood your (and your contacts') event logs.

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by alexp2_ad on 07-11-2006 at 09:37 AM

You could set it up so in the event for psm change you disable logging (because all the code for that event is executed BEFORE the psm change), then set a very short timer that would re-enable logging, but you might risk losing a message very occasionally.

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by NiteMare on 07-11-2006 at 11:54 AM

i'd still rather have a concreat solution, then one of the work arounds suggestedhopefully patchou can put somehting in

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by RaceProUK on 07-11-2006 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
can't you just disable the log feature for a while?
like:
deactivate Chatlogs
change name
activate Chatlogs

if it happens fast enough no data will be lost...
The only 'fast enough' would be instantaneous. Disabling logging in any way, for no matter how short a time, means you risk messages being lost. I mean, they can easily arrive in the tiny gap while you update the PSM.
RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by L. Coyote on 07-11-2006 at 08:36 PM

There's a LogEvent function in the MsgPlus object for the scripting engine. *-)

IMO, Patchou should try (because maybe he can't prevent it) not to log the events generated by scripts, and let them use this function.

That way, the script could have the option to log or not whatever "loggable" events it generates.

Coders would be responsible of this feature.

Disable logging and things like that are really bad ideas. :s Especially if it's done by the script itself.

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by Keikonium on 07-11-2006 at 09:17 PM

I came here today to post a script request for disabling logging of PSM's because of this count down script lol. I am setting its update to every hour right now, but hopefully a "fix" can come across soon ^_^.

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by jmccarroll on 07-11-2006 at 09:20 PM

There is an option to not log things like that in your chat logs.  So instead of disabling logging completely, maybe just disable that and then turn it back on afterwards.  I don't think anyone would miss something in their logs that says someone changed their status or something like that.

So something like:
1. Toggle these keys from default to 0:
(HKCU\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<email>\Preferences\ChatLogAddEventsTxt)
(HKCU\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<email>\Preferences\ChatLogAddEventsXHtml)

2. Change PSM
3. Toggle keys back to default

RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by NiteMare on 07-11-2006 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
I came here today to post a script request for disabling logging of PSM's because of this count down script lol. I am setting its update to every hour right now, but hopefully a "fix" can come across soon ^_^.
yeah, i'm aware of this, since people like to set there counter to refreash every few seconds

there should be feature for like this:

MsgPlus.LogScriptEvents(false);
Do event
MsgPlus.LogScriptEvents(true);

where it only disables or enables loging of the script using the command

RE: RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by CookieRevised on 07-11-2006 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jmccarroll
So something like:
1. Toggle these keys from default to 0:
(HKCU\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<email>\Preferences\ChatLogAddEventsTxt)
(HKCU\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<email>\Preferences\ChatLogAddEventsXHtml)

2. Change PSM
3. Toggle keys back to default

That wont work for several reasons:

1) Plus! does not read the registry settings each and every time. They are only read in when you open the preferences panel and stored when you click to 'ok' or 'apply' button in the settings (or when you toggle certain items in the menus).

2) Those registry keys you listed only influence what is written in the individual chat log files themselfs (provided the keys are set by Plus!, not manually by you), not what is shown in the event window, which is an equally big/annoying problem.

3) Even manually setting "EventViewerShowPsm" (which is the key to view/hide PSM changes in the events log window) will not influence what you'll see because of point 1, nor will it influence what actually will be written to the log file.

Thus for individual chat logs, there is no way to disable this on the fly.

The only thing you CAN do is setting the following key to 0:
HKCU\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\<your email>\Contacts\<Hash from contact>\DispEvents.

This key will be read each time before an event will be shown in the event window. The drawback is: you need to know how to calculate the hash of the contact, which is currently not documented/known.

------------------

It would not be easy at all to implement a DontShowScriptTriggeredEvents function I think. Many stuff which is invoke by script commands goes 'globally' outside of the scripting engine and Plus! in its turn recieves the event again, at this point the command or whatever has already left the scripting environment so to speak; the event comes from messenger itself, so Plus! can't know (without dodgy hacks) what triggered the event.

Not to mention I would not like a script to disable things globally (for all scripts). Even for a split second...

------------------

I'm currently very annoyed btw by those countdown scripts as some people on my contactlist are using it to update their PSM every 5 seconds!!!! (before you suggest it, blocking them wont work). The only thing I can do is to exclude them from the event log. But this also means I wont see status changes or whatever else of them too.... So, Nitemare, I very very strongly suggest to put the minimum update to at least 15 seconds (which is almost the minimum update frequency for nick changes too).
RE: Forcing A script not to record an event by NiteMare on 07-13-2006 at 03:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm currently very annoyed btw by those countdown scripts as some people on my contactlist are using it to update their PSM every 5 seconds!!!! (before you suggest it, blocking them wont work). The only thing I can do is to exclude them from the event log. But this also means I wont see status changes or whatever else of them too.... So, Nitemare, I very very strongly suggest to put the minimum update to at least 15 seconds (which is almost the minimum update frequency for nick changes too).
if patchou can't put the feature in, i may have to limit it to once a minute

please see what you can do patchou