Shoutbox

hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ (/showthread.php?tid=63171)

hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ by singying304 on 07-13-2006 at 12:17 PM

thanks in advance
i am chinese, i would like to ask you
what is different between "what would you do" and "what will you do"

RE: hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ by GiantSpider on 07-13-2006 at 12:20 PM

"What would you do" is asking what would happen if you had the oportunity. Its a speculative question.

"What will you do" is asking about something that is going to happen. The "Will" implies that you will take the course of actions you state.

Basically the first is theoretical, the second isn't.

RE: hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ by Mike on 07-13-2006 at 12:23 PM

What would you do means, what would you do, if something would have happened. Example: What would you do if you were in my place?

What will you do means that something is going to happen, and you will do it. Example: What will you do tommorow?

Well, I can't really explain it, but its something along these lines ;)

RE: hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ by singying304 on 07-13-2006 at 12:27 PM

thanks all,also ,someone tell me if use will represent lower probability and if use would represent higher probability. is it right?

RE: hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ by GiantSpider on 07-13-2006 at 12:29 PM

I would say the other way round.

RE: RE: hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ by singying304 on 07-13-2006 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
I would say the other way round.

sorry, i don't understand your reply.
RE: hello,i wanna ask you some Q about eng grammar~ by GiantSpider on 07-13-2006 at 12:41 PM

In the context of your sentences, will represents higher probabilaty, and would represents lower probability.