Shoutbox

ALWAYS online - why? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: ALWAYS online - why? (/showthread.php?tid=63200)

ALWAYS online - why? by jmvideo on 07-13-2006 at 08:18 PM

Messenger ALWAYS shows me Online

Even when i have checked the appropriate boxes to show me away after a certain amount of minutes, my MSN IM always shows me online.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be happening?

Is something running that is making MSN think I'm at the computer?

It used to be okay but no longer. Skype show the auto-away staus just fine. Even with Skpe not running, MSN still doesn't 'auto-away.

I have got Messenger Plus. Is this likely to cause the problem and why? How do I get rid of it completely?

I've tried repairing MSN, reinstalling MSN, upgrading to Live Messenger, but no joy.

As an experiment I did create another 'test' user account in XP and used MSN 7.5 there. It worked fine. No auto-away problems at all.

There must be a setting that needs to be changed but what it is I just don't know!

Any ideas?

Regards

John

RE: ALWAYS online - why? by Thor on 07-13-2006 at 08:23 PM

Well, it gets activated if it's no activity on you computer, that means keyboard, mouse and maybe Webcam. If some of those are in use, it won't put you as away after a certain amount of time.

RE: ALWAYS online - why? by 4penguino on 07-13-2006 at 08:23 PM

maybe trying to downgrade for a bit like 6.0 or windows messenger and then try ur luck it happened 2 me and i did that it WORKED!!

RE: ALWAYS online - why? by Thor on 07-13-2006 at 08:30 PM

hmmm... Odd. :S But you should use 8.0 :P

RE: ALWAYS online - why? by jmvideo on 07-13-2006 at 08:59 PM

I did try the suggestion to install an earlier version (V6) but it didn't let me.  Had to upgrade.   It automatically downloaded 7.5 and problem still exists!

Any further thoughts?

RE: ALWAYS online - why? by lordy on 07-13-2006 at 09:46 PM

This happens to me as well, though it only started happening when I got a wireless mouse and keyboard. That could have something to do with it ;)

RE: ALWAYS online - why? by jmvideo on 07-14-2006 at 06:15 AM

Afraid not. I have a normal wired mouse and keyboard.

There's obviously something that's stopping MSN going to the auto-away state.

John