Shoutbox

How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? (/showthread.php?tid=63213)

How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by prashker on 07-13-2006 at 11:44 PM

I don't know how and it keeps on underlining improperly spelled words

So how do I turn it off :P?

RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by Jimcando on 07-13-2006 at 11:51 PM

Have you tried spelling words correctly?

EDIT: I've just tried and spell check doesn't even work for me :S

RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by prashker on 07-13-2006 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimcando

8-)
RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by ShawnZ on 07-14-2006 at 12:00 AM

he has a fair point. maybe you shouldn't be spelling incorrectly in the first place? that is why they took the time to implement it...

RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by Jimcando on 07-14-2006 at 12:01 AM

I've found this:

quote:
In about config you can set <something I can't remember...>spellcheckDefault to 0 to turn it off by default. Or you can set it to two for spellchecking by default on single-line controls as well (kind of annoying).

type in the address bar about:config and in the filter box, type 'layout.spellcheckDefault' (with out quotes) then set it to 0

I haven't tested it yet though but it should work :P
RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by andrey on 07-14-2006 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimcando
:rofl:

in about:config, or by directly editing the user.js, set layout.spellcheckDefault to 0 to disable spell checking by default.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Layout.spellcheckDefault1
RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by meefman on 07-28-2006 at 12:58 AM

Not all of us type exclusively in English =)

RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by -dt- on 07-28-2006 at 01:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by meefman
download a new dictionary for it then and set that to default
RE: RE: How do you turn off spell check in FireFox 2 Beta 1? by meefman on 07-28-2006 at 05:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by meefman
download a new dictionary for it then and set that to default

turning it off (as suggested in a previous post) is much much easier, IMO