Shoutbox

[Release] toast messages - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] toast messages (/showthread.php?tid=63271)

[Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-14-2006 at 07:25 PM

EDIT:
Toast Message v. 1.3
by AberNStein

what's new:
- menu says ON or OFF depending on the script's state
- strips format codes from toasts
other features:
- stores the state in registry
- separate registry key for each user
- if toast message is on at sign-in it will toast to let you know
- /toastmsg is case-insensitive
- toasts when you receive a message in a convo that's not in focus
- clicking the toast focuses the convo
- toggle on/off with the menu or /toastmsg

known issues
- the font in the toast is not a fixed width font. for example if your contact's name is all equals signs, then you'd have to truncate at 17 characters. so i've left it at 17. the message thankfully truncates itself.

Download:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=705982

check AberNSteins Post as it is where he updates the changelog. I'll try keep up with any changes and edit this post.

My (Jiggs) original request:
ok, so, there's a script being made to stop wlm from flashing the task bar when new messages are received, and I'm really looking forward to this, but on top of that, i have a suggestion.
How about a script that shows messages received in a toast, just like the 1st message when no convo window is open yet, each time a message is received. With a menu to turn it on and off easily.
So you could turn it on, and minimize wlm and see what messages you are receiving in a toast that's easily right clicked away, or left clicked to open the convo, without the task-bar popping in front of everything.
And then, when you want to stop the toasts, u just select off in the menu in the convo windows plus menu. Is this possible?
Is it a good idea? I'd like it.

Jiggs

RE: [request] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-14-2006 at 09:27 PM

i'm working on this right now. it's almost done. i just need to figure out how to focus the convo.

RE: [request] toast messages by cooldude_i06 on 07-14-2006 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AberNStein
i'm working on this right now. it's almost done. i just need to figure out how to focus the convo.

Interop.Call('User32','BringWindowToTop', objPlusWnd.Handle);
Interop.Call('User32','ShowWindow', objPlusWnd.Handle, 1);
RE: [request] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-14-2006 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
Interop.Call('User32','BringWindowToTop', objPlusWnd.Handle);
Interop.Call('User32','ShowWindow', objPlusWnd.Handle, 1);

you rock. i'll post the script in a few minutes.
edit: that's still not working.

code:
function OnEvent_Initialize(MessengerStart)
{
}

var toastmsg = '0';

function OnEvent_ChatWndSendMessage(ChatWnd,Message)
{
    if(Message == "!toastmsg")
    {
        if(toastmsg == '0')
        {
        toastmsg = '1'
MsgPlus.DisplayToast("Toast Message","Toast Message is ON");
        }
        else
        {
        toastmsg = '0'
MsgPlus.DisplayToast("Toast Message","Toast Message is OFF");
        }

return ""
    }
}

function OnEvent_ChatWndReceiveMessage(ChatWnd, Origin, Message, MessageKind)
{
if (toastmsg=='1')
{
if (Origin != Messenger.MyName)
{
if (Message.length + Origin.length < 90)
{
MsgPlus.DisplayToastContact("Toast Message",Origin + " says:",Message,"","focusIt",ChatWnd.Handle);
}
else
{
var newMsg = Message.substr(0,90 - Origin.length) + "...";
MsgPlus.DisplayToastContact("Toast Message",Origin + " says:",newMsg,"","focusIt",ChatWnd.Handle);
}
}
}
}

function focusIt(which)
{
Interop.Call('User32','BringWindowToTop', which);
Interop.Call('User32','ShowWindow', which, 1);
}

function OnEvent_Uninitialize(MessengerExit)
{
}

that's it so far. /toastmsg replaced with !toastmsg so i don't have to send over a scriptinfo.xml too.

p.s. at first i thought it was a crap idea for a script but now i realise i'd use it often.
RE: [request] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-14-2006 at 10:16 PM

wow. working on it cos of my request? or scary coincidence?

cool whatever the case. i look forward to it. does it stop the taskbar from flashing? or will we have to wait for the Live! Extender script for that still?

RE: RE: [request] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-14-2006 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jiggs
wow. working on it cos of my request? or scary coincidence?

cool whatever the case. i look forward to it. does it stop the taskbar from flashing? or will we have to wait for the Live! Extender script for that still?

i don't know how to stop the flashing, but i'll look into it :)
aha! solved it (the focusing, not the flashing).
well sorta.
there are way too many ways to focus a window. i used five.
code:
Interop.Call('User32','OpenIcon', which);
Interop.Call('User32','BringWindowToTop', which);
Interop.Call('User32','SetForegroundWindow', which);
Interop.Call('User32','ShowWindow', which, 1);
Interop.Call('User32','SwitchToThisWindow', which, FALSE);

i left out the ones that reposition the window.
RE: [release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-15-2006 at 12:03 AM

works great. but i have some suggestions :). wish i could do it myself.
1, it would be good if the toasts didn't pop up when the convo has focus.
2, a menu in the plus menu instead of just commands to turn on and off would be good
3, being able to turn it on for specific contacts only

that's what Ive thought of so far. mostly the popping up when the window already has focus is a little bothersome. but still, great, and thanks for making it so fast after my request. and don't waste any more time on it unless you also see a use for it :)

thanks again
Jiggs

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-15-2006 at 01:30 AM

quote:
1, it would be good if the toasts didn't pop up when the convo has focus.

that will take some doing, i'll try though
edit: done. in the new version. see bottom of post.
quote:
2, a menu in the plus menu instead of just commands to turn on and off would be good

easy. that's just a matter of changing the scriptinfo.xml. i'll do that then upload a new ver.
edit: done. in the new version. see bottom of post.
quote:
3, being able to turn it on for specific contacts only
doable, but i'm not quite sure how. i'll go cannibalize someone else's script for that.
edit: still in progress.
double edit: i can do it, but i don't think it's necessary. in fact, i'd never use per-contact toast messages. if lots of people want it i'll add it, but then the menu would have to go i think.

quote:
that's what Ive thought of so far. mostly the popping up when the window already has focus is a little bothersome. but still, great, and thanks for making it so fast after my request. and don't waste any more time on it unless you also see a use for it
i've started to use it myself, so i'm gonna continue to work on it.

new version is attached. it has a menu to toggle and doesn't toast when the convo has focus.
this forum doesn't bump the thread when the last post is edited, so i'm gonna bump it right now.
Version 1.0 is attached to the above post. It's been submitted to the script database but the email bounced.

Toast Message v. 1.0 by AberNStein

Short description (1 or 2 lines), this will be shown right under the title.
- Creates toasts of messages recieved in chat windows that aren't in focus.
A full description. Describe what the scripts does, it's features and how to use it.
- Toast Message 1.0 by AberNStein. Toast Message creates a toast of any message recieved in a chat window that isn't in focus. Great for multitasking! Only open up a convo when you need to reply! Type /toastmsg or the button on the menu to toggle on and off Toast Message. It won't toast if the conversation is on top. Clicking on a toast brings the conversation to the top! It even unminimizes it!
RE: [Release] toast messages by Mike on 07-15-2006 at 06:12 AM

quote:
Short description (1 or 2 lines), this will be shown right under the title.
- Creates toasts of messages recieved in chat windows that aren't in focus.

Seems like that this is like my script, Message Scroller.

The only difference is, that your script displays new messages in a toast, while my script, displays new messages in a new window. ;)
I was planning to add to display messages in a toast instead of a new window, since Matty suggested me, but I never got to it because of another problem...
RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-15-2006 at 03:24 PM

hmm yours is cool too, i guess.
i don't like the way the position of your message thing resets after you close it.
the translucency is nice though.
anyways it's pretty obvious from this thread that i didn't copy your script.

RE: [Release] toast messages by DennisMartijn on 07-16-2006 at 10:12 AM

i dont really understand the script. ive downloaded it, i know how to switch on/off, but what does it actually do?

it has to do something with a toast popup, like when someones getting online.

is it when you post a message to someone, that the send message will appear as a toast thingie?

i know, this is very noobish. but this is my first time im related to scripting anyway... and im not englishXD please answer my Question.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jellings on 07-16-2006 at 10:50 AM

I really like this script - it's really useful cause now when i get useless messeges i don't have to get that window in focus. And it also makes recieving messages feel more instant.

One suggestion - would it be possible to change the title of the toast message to something like "New Message" - or does the toast title automatically have the script's name? - EDIT: i found out how to do that myself. :D

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-16-2006 at 07:08 PM

Thanks alot AberNStein.
It's great. Gonna use it for a while now and if anything pops up that i think would add to it ill let you know. but sounds perfect :). all we need now is the ability to make the task bar stop flashing :).

Thanks again.
Jiggs

RE: [Release] toast messages by BlackStar on 07-16-2006 at 07:57 PM

Very nice done!
But I think I prefer Message Scroller since it will stay on the screen.

The Toast Message will not stay and if you are not sitting in front of the computer you will never see the text.

Perhaps some kind of toggler could fix that.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-16-2006 at 08:39 PM

Thats kind of its point though. For me anyway. When im sitting at my pc, and i dont want to have to open conversation windows that arent important to me, i can just continue working.

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-17-2006 at 03:44 AM

i'll fix the displaying of newline chars (read: i'll delete them in the toasts) then up a new version. btw it's now on the scripts site http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/browse/index.php?act=view&id=81

edit: something's not working. i've tried Message = Message.replace('\s',' '); and i've tried that with \n and \r too. how do i strip newline and carriage returns?

RE: [Release] toast messages by tinpiliycfa on 07-19-2006 at 05:05 PM

could you improve it, cause when people have  along nickname, I only see the beginning of the nick and  ...

so it's useless that way, can you make it appear more the name and more the text oar at least more teh text please ?

thanks

RE: [Release] toast messages by cloudhunter on 07-19-2006 at 05:37 PM

@AberNStein: The answer is in the forums to the newline carriage return thingy. Its in a topic from the last few days... I know that.

@tinpiliycfa: As far as I'm aware it is due to a limit in the size of a nickname.

Cloudy

RE: [Release] toast messages by tinpiliycfa on 07-19-2006 at 05:41 PM

so we can't do it ?

RE: [Release] toast messages by cloudhunter on 07-19-2006 at 05:51 PM

@tinpiliycfa: Sorry, I misunderstood the problem. But what I say still stands... There is a limit to how much information can be on a Toast... But perhaps the nick could be trunciated when it is longer than a certain amount, displaying more of the text... So yes it could be done ;) Just have to wait for the Author.

Cloudy

RE: [Release] toast messages by tinpiliycfa on 07-19-2006 at 07:49 PM

thanks, I hope it'll be done

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-19-2006 at 09:19 PM

the carriage return stripping is working.
how many characters would you like me to display before i truncate?
right now it truncates the nickname after 30 characters and the message after 90 minus the nickname's length.
i'll play around with the numbers to find the maximum.
the nickname's not gonna be more than one line. should it truncate and add "... says:" or just "..."?

RE: [Release] toast messages by tinpiliycfa on 07-19-2006 at 10:58 PM

i Don't know, maybe the  5 first letters of the name + says + messages

RE: [Release] toast messages by hlbobcat09 on 07-20-2006 at 06:08 AM

5 or six letters of the name + says: + message sounds pretty good

RE: [Release] toast messages by Vexor on 07-20-2006 at 11:33 AM

hey, be good if when the toast pops up, if you could click on it and it opens that chat up, cos I know when I have tabbed chats up, if someone says somethig I wanna read, i need to scroll through to find them again, but if you could click on the toast to bring that chat up, be cool.

RE: RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-20-2006 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vexor
hey, be good if when the toast pops up, if you could click on it and it opens that chat up, cos I know when I have tabbed chats up, if someone says somethig I wanna read, i need to scroll through to find them again, but if you could click on the toast to bring that chat up, be cool.

if you click on the toast it does bring the chat up. make sure you're using the most recent release.
p.s. i'll see if it works with tabs. i hadn't thought of that.
RE: [Release] toast messages by geryxyz on 07-21-2006 at 12:08 AM

hello everyone

I want to display smiles :) :-) etc. in the toast window. it is possible? and how can I do it with scripts?

RE: [Release] toast messages by cloudhunter on 07-21-2006 at 12:32 PM

Short answer: If it doesn't do it already, it isn't possible to do it using a script.

Cloudy

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-21-2006 at 09:54 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vexor

if you click on the toast it does bring the chat up. make sure you're using the most recent release.
p.s. i'll see if it works with tabs. i hadn't thought of that.

i've tested it and i can verify that clicking on a toast does indeed bring up the tab in question. i'm quite surprised actually.
i'm just trial and erroring to find the maximum number of characters i can get into a toast. i'll either have an update posted tonight, or when i get back (i'm going away for a week tomorrow).

grr. i should have realised this way earlier. the font in the toast is not a fixed width font. for example if your contact's name is all equals signs, then you'd have to truncate at 17 characters. so i've left it at 17. the message thankfully truncates itself.
newest version is attached. it's much better than the message scroller. lol. two different solutions to the same problem. use whichever you want.
RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-30-2006 at 04:18 PM

is there a way to make it remember whether i switched it ON or OFF? instead of having to turn it on every time i log off or restart or so?

i wish the task-bar could be stopped from flashing!!! :)

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-31-2006 at 03:01 AM

i could store it in a registry key.
won't be hard to code.
i'll add it soon (like tonight or tomorrow).
any other feature suggestions?

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-31-2006 at 12:24 PM

I was on holidays the last two weeks, so I've only really been able to use the new version for the past 2 days. And so far the only thing missing for me is that it remembers the settings. But I'll probably think of more over time.
The only vital one that would make this addon perfect is that the taskbar doesn't flash, because my auto hidden taskbar comes in front of what I'm doing anyway, so i HAVE to open and minimize the chat even if i don't feel the message is important enough.
But that will come with the "enhancer".
Great addon though, works exactly as it should.
Thanks again

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-31-2006 at 04:11 PM

a bit of googling found http://live.msgdiscovery.com/
it appears to be a patch of sorts. or maybe even a msgplus competitor. i'm not quite sure.
one of its features is disabling msn's taskbar flash though.
try it out maybe.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-31-2006 at 04:42 PM

cool, thanks. anybody know about this? is it any good? has it spyware or so? resource hog?

i dont like installing things i dont really know :)

RE: [Release] toast messages by absorbation on 07-31-2006 at 04:49 PM

quote:
cool, thanks. anybody know about this? is it any good? has it spyware or so? resource hog?

No spyware, but it is rushed. Tends to be buggy and is unprofessionally done. You will probably find yourself installing and not liking it then uninstalling again like most users.
RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 07-31-2006 at 05:00 PM

I've installed it and i agree with you. so far 2 features do stand out tho. sending an image from clipboard, making prt scr + the hotkey very useful. no need to paste into paint and save as jpeg, etc. and, the task bar being stopped from flashing. otherwise i don't see any use.
so ill probably delete it and wait till a plus! script stops the flashing. and SS4 will be good for screenshots.
Off-topic, i know :)

it has shown me how great toast messages works when the task bar is not brought to the front and flashed though. its so easy to read and chose to ignore or bring convo to front on received messages without disrupting anything.

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 08-01-2006 at 03:50 PM

just a minor update that fixes format code stripping

Toast Message v. 1.3
by AberNStein

what's new:
- strips format codes from toasts properly
other features:
- menu says ON or OFF depending on the script's state
- stores the state in registry
- seperate registry key for each user
- if toast message is on at sign-in it will toast to let you know
- /toastmsg is case-insensitive
- toasts when you recieve a message in a convo that's not in focus
- clicking the toast focuses the convo
- toggle on/off with the menu or /toastmsg

known issues
- the font in the toast is not a fixed width font. for example if your contact's name is all equals signs, then you'd have to truncate at 17 characters. so i've left it at 17. the message thankfully truncates itself.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-01-2006 at 10:47 PM

cool, thanks.
i'll test it now :).
and ive updated the first post. it ok like that? or want any other changes? :)

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 08-02-2006 at 03:37 AM

looks great. thanks.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-03-2006 at 05:11 PM

i have one little feature suggestion.
instead of having "Toggle ON/OFF" in the menu option, would it be possible to have Turn ON when its off and Turn OFF when its on, or similar?
this way its easier to see if its currently on or off.
also, is the timeout changeable for toasts? so you can chose how long the toast stays on screen? with the option for it to stay on forever until the user clicks the toast. if so, then clicking one of the toasts should close all others from that contact.

RE: RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 08-04-2006 at 04:30 AM

quote:
i have one little feature suggestion.
instead of having "Toggle ON/OFF" in the menu option, would it be possible to have Turn ON when its off and Turn OFF when its on, or similar?
this way its easier to see if its currently on or off.
also, is the timeout changeable for toasts? so you can chose how long the toast stays on screen? with the option for it to stay on forever until the user clicks the toast. if so, then clicking one of the toasts should close all others from that contact.

the toggle menu thing i can do for sure. i'll get on it tomorrow. i can't change how long a toast stays on the screen. i could maybe kill a toast if i knew its handle. i'll look into that, but i doubt i'd be able to get it to do what you want.
RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-04-2006 at 02:25 PM

ok, if its not doable, no problem. just sometimes i miss a toast and its gone before Ive read it. be cool if it stayed till i clicked it away or activated the chat.
but id probably get annoyed by that and prefer it to time out :).
thanks for implementing almost everything so far. its kinda perfect now i think. cant think of anything else. just need that other script to finish to stop task bar flashing. but if i think of more, ill let you know :)
great script, thanks again

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 08-04-2006 at 03:33 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63...d=705982#pid705982
the script has been updated. dynamic menu and format code stripping. please update the first post in the thread. thanks.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-04-2006 at 04:12 PM

great, thanks. I've updated the first post.

RE: [Release] toast messages by hubbie on 08-04-2006 at 06:41 PM

I have another request... ;)

Is it possible to open a new browserscreen in stead of using the current one i'm working with when i click on the toast?

Martin

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-04-2006 at 07:16 PM

browserscreen?

RE: [Release] toast messages by hubbie on 08-04-2006 at 07:20 PM

Sorry,

Ik was mistaking this script for another one :$ (RSSreader script)

Forget it please 8-|

Martin

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-08-2006 at 02:11 AM

is it possible to make it such that if i click one toast of one contact that all toast messages get closed by that contact?
so if he/she sends 3 messages, and 3 toasts pop up, i dont have to click one, and right click the other two. instead i click one, and all from that contact close?

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 08-08-2006 at 04:32 PM

i'll look into it, but it seems pretty unlikely.
i don't even know if i can get the handle of a toast.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-14-2006 at 08:30 PM

not gonna work, is it?

one thing ive noticed now with 'enhancer' when i disable flashing taskbar, if i leave my pc and receive a message, and come back, it can take a while before i notice the message. because the toast is gone, and the taskbar stayed hidden. its great while im at the pc, but a permanent toast would have been great. maybe just the last toast stays. each new one replacing the last.
but permanent (until i right or left click it) toasts aren't possible?
is there something instead maybe? a little always-ontopish thing somewhere til i open the convo. it would appear once the toast times out if no action was taken with the toast. and would leave when the convo is activated.
is this possible at all?

RE: [Release] toast messages by Dave on 08-15-2006 at 10:36 AM

a problem - version 1.0 worked fine for me, but now i've deleted it and downloaded v1.3, nothing happens.  It appears in the list of scripts in the preferences panel, but /toastmsg does not appear in the commands list and the script does not appear in the list when i click on the plus icon on the main WLM page.  Any ideas?

Does this script happen automatically when WLM starts up, or do i have to toggle it every time i open WLM?
RE: [Release] toast messages by rajvora on 08-17-2006 at 05:34 PM

it happens automatically

RE: [Release] toast messages by Dave on 08-17-2006 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rajvora
it happens automatically

then how come when i hit the toggle on the menu, then it gives me a toast saying it is on? if it was already on and i togled it, wouldnt it go off?

edit: is it the same in both versions, because i'm using the old one
RE: [Release] toast messages by rajvora on 08-17-2006 at 06:07 PM

when u go in the menu it doesnt tellu tht it is on .. it actually asks u uf u want it on.. when it actually is off.. i hope u understand what i mean

RE: [Release] toast messages by Dave on 08-17-2006 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rajvora
i hope u understand what i mean

not really, but i'll have a go ;)

when i go into the menu, it always says 'toggle on/off' whether the toasts happen or not.  Then when i click on that just after i've started WLM it gives me a toast saying its turned on, but it still says 'toggle on/off' on the menu
RE: [Release] toast messages by Jiggs on 08-17-2006 at 10:57 PM

use the new version. that solves that

RE: [Release] toast messages by Dave on 08-18-2006 at 09:05 AM

but when i tried the new version it didnt work at all (see my earlier post at the top of this page), but i spose i could have another go.

edit: same problem as before when i install the new version :(  now i can't find the previous version to download again.
edit: found it
:)

RE: [Release] toast messages by artfuldodga on 08-20-2006 at 11:36 PM

I've noticed that my Contacts Nickname is not displaying using the colors I set in their nickname when a Toast Message pops up

ex) [b][c=4]Nickname[/c][b]

It will actually display like that, which is kind of annoying I guess :) but scripts can only do so much I guess. Can this be improved?

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 08-30-2006 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by artfuldodga
I've noticed that my Contacts Nickname is not displaying using the colors I set in their nickname when a Toast Message pops up

ex) [b][c=4]Nickname[/c][b]

It will actually display like that, which is kind of annoying I guess :) but scripts can only do so much I guess. Can this be improved?
sorry i've been away for quite a while
umm toasts can't display formatting codes, but they should be stripped out by toast message

edit: aha! turns out i was stripping the format codes after truncating, which sometimes left broken codes, which weren't being stripped. it's fixed now.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63...d=705982#pid705982
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=705982
RE: [Release] toast messages by petervk on 10-04-2006 at 08:09 AM

Hello,

I've tried to install this script, but it doesn't work. Is there anything I've to do, after starting it?

Thanks,

Peter

RE: [Release] toast messages by Dave on 10-04-2006 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by petervk
Hello,

I've tried to install this script, but it doesn't work. Is there anything I've to do, after starting it?

Thanks,

Peter

I had the same problem - try using the previous version of toast message
RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 10-04-2006 at 09:52 PM

sorry
i didn't realise there was a problem with that version
try signing out then signing in
the script writes the initial registry values when you sign in, as opposed to when it initializes
also, i'm fixing it up to add more try/catches (there should have been one for each registry call) and i'm replacing email with userId, for security.
if you really care, you can go into your registry and delete the entries that have your email address in them.

try the attached version. it won't work till you've done a sign-in with the script installed.

RE: [Release] toast messages by Dave on 10-05-2006 at 03:58 PM

This looks better - it actually appears on the menu and makes toasts.  Haven't tested it properly yet - i'll be back ;)

RE: [Release] toast messages by kvnhmmd on 10-27-2006 at 04:45 AM

Hey, the script is setup so that every time i sign in, it will say that the toast message is on. Well, what would I change in the script to disable this? Sorry, but it kind of gets annoying. But this is one of my favorite scripts, nice job, it has really improved.

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 11-02-2006 at 03:52 AM

just comment out or delete the bit that says

code:
if(toastmsg==1){
MsgPlus.DisplayToast("Toast Message","Toast Message is ON");
}
it's lines 25 to 27
but make sure to leave the } that's on line 28
RE: [Release] toast messages by kvnhmmd on 11-02-2006 at 06:38 AM

Alright, it works, thanks!

RE: [Release] toast messages by kvnhmmd on 11-12-2006 at 09:03 AM

You know what would be cool? That alert that pops up when you sign in that tells you that Toast Message is on, if there was an audio clip that went with that, sorta like the Messenger notify sound, that would be sweet. And also an audio sound with the message that says Toast Message is on/off. Are you able to do that? Or is that too much work, or are you able to tell me what to do to make it do that?

RE: RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 12-12-2006 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kvnhmmd
You know what would be cool? That alert that pops up when you sign in that tells you that Toast Message is on, if there was an audio clip that went with that, sorta like the Messenger notify sound, that would be sweet. And also an audio sound with the message that says Toast Message is on/off. Are you able to do that? Or is that too much work, or are you able to tell me what to do to make it do that?

sorry about the very late reply
for some reason i didn't get a notification about that post
anyways...
in my script, where you see something like MsgPlus.DisplayToast("Toast Message","Toast Message is ON"); just add the sound as a third parameter.
check the scripting documentation (http://mpscripts.net/docs.php?p=ref-msgplus-displaytoast.htm)

p.s. really minor update attached, but significantly different to what's on the first page of this thread. i just added an extra try/catch so that no registry call is unsafe.
RE: [Release] toast messages by mastaX on 01-01-2007 at 12:43 PM

HeyLo

First, Happy new year

and Bravo for your plugin, it"s wonderful...

quote:
just one noobish or complex question,

When a contact is first messaging you, the Live messenger chat popup and window will appear and then the toast, so in reality it would be necessary to kill the Live messenger message popup and window.. i hope my english is clear..
is that possible? so that if i receive a message, i only have the Toast...if i don"t want to answer i just wait for the toast to disapear, and if i want to, i click the Toast which will open the Live messenger Chat Window.

must be complex if it"s possible i guess.
Allright,  it was a stupid question, i found this option in Live Messenger itself....

as Jiggs said, it would have been super great to choose how long the toast stays on screen and the option for it to stay on forever until the user clicks the toast,  but if it"s not possible we have to come to terms with it...

Anyway i just love your plugin the way it is... keep going!

and Thanks

mX
RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 01-02-2007 at 01:41 AM

thanks for the compliments
there's no way for me to control the behavior of the toasts themselves short of making my  own toasts. check out the 'message scroller' script maybe? (can't be bothered to scrounge up the thread)
i am however (slowly) working on my alarm script, which makes a popup that stays on the screen till its been clicked when a designated contact signs in. the only posted version is a really rudimentary version that's vaguely useable. i'm working on it, and maybe it will eventually be adaptable to what you want.
it's a long term prospect though.
happy new year.

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-14-2007 at 06:33 PM

i don't understand what you're saying
do you think my script is crashing your wlm?
try disabling scripts one at a time until you find the one (or two) that's crashing it
it could be another script conflicting with mine

RE: [Release] toast messages by riahc4 on 07-17-2007 at 02:24 AM

What does the script do? A proper description in the first post would be great.

RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-18-2007 at 08:59 PM

you can read a description of the script in the script database:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/81-Toast-Message/
Toast Message creates a toast of any message received in a chat window that isn't in focus. Great for multitasking! Only open up a convo when you need to reply! Type /toastmsg or the button on the menu to toggle on and off Toast Message. It won't toast if the conversation is on top. Clicking on a toast brings the conversation to the top! It even un-minimizes it!

or, you know, you could READ THE FIRST POST
quote:
a script that shows messages received in a toast, just like the 1st message when no convo window is open yet, each time a message is received. With a menu to turn it on and off easily.

-AberNStein
RE: [Release] toast messages by riahc4 on 07-26-2007 at 06:14 PM

quote:
you can read a description of the script in the script database:
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/81-Toast-Message/
Toast Message creates a toast of any message received in a chat window that isn't in focus. Great for multitasking! Only open up a convo when you need to reply! Type /toastmsg or the button on the menu to toggle on and off Toast Message. It won't toast if the conversation is on top. Clicking on a toast brings the conversation to the top! It even un-minimizes it!

or, you know, you could READ THE FIRST POST
quote:
a script that shows messages received in a toast, just like the 1st message when no convo window is open yet, each time a message is received. With a menu to turn it on and off easily.

-AberNStein

Or you could organize yourself and put a proper description in the first post with a proper header.

RE: RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 07-27-2007 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Or you could organize yourself and put a proper description in the first post with a proper header.

good point
you're absolutely right
because i wrote that first post
and i can edit it
right?

(in case you didn't gather, this thread started off as a request and evolved into a release and as such is not in your preferred release-then-comments thread format)
RE: [Release] toast messages by Firehalk on 02-27-2008 at 09:19 PM

Hey ;)

About the topic I have opened (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=81633), I didn't release it at all. Even because it's not ready. Plus, the code is avaiable to everyone that has it.

Sorry if I didn't ask for permission, but for sure If I had handle the way of doing it, I would ask permission first ;)

I'm not good on it, so was just a challenge to me (not so good suceed :P).

I would really appreciate if you could add that feature (filtering by contacts). Would be pretty useful. Not just for me, but to everyone, since sometimes those alerts can get annoying if for all.

If you have a little bit of time, please do it.

Thanks!

RE: [Release] toast messages by riahc4 on 02-28-2008 at 12:35 PM

So this sends a message to a contact and also makes a toast popup with that messages regardless if a conversation if open or not?

Really, the description is really shitty.

RE: RE: [Release] toast messages by AberNStein on 02-29-2008 at 04:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Firehalk

I would really appreciate if you could add that feature (filtering by contacts). Would be pretty useful. Not just for me, but to everyone, since sometimes those alerts can get annoying if for all.

i'll work on it. as i said, i have some code that i can probably just stick into this. i'll probably post it as a fork, as opposed to an update. gimme a couple days.
edit: going away for a week. i'll get it done when i get back

quote:
Originally posted by riah4

So this sends a message to a contact and also makes a toast popup with that messages regardless if a conversation if open or not?

Really, the description is really shitty.

ahem.
"Toast Message creates a toast of any message received in a chat window that isn't in focus. [...] It won't toast if the conversation is on top." - http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/81-Toast-Message/
dunno how that could be more straightforward.

-Aber N. Stein