Shoutbox

Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) (/showthread.php?tid=63286)

Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nagamasa on 07-15-2006 at 05:00 AM

What is the longest word you know?

The longest word I know is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

EDIT: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE NAMES OF DISEASES, CITIES, TOWNS, VILLAGES, AND ANY OTHER NAMES. Happy -!Felu!-?

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by ShawnZ on 07-15-2006 at 05:20 AM

antidisestablishmentarianism

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Joe on 07-15-2006 at 06:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

that's all I had...
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Underlord on 07-15-2006 at 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NagamasaAzai
That's not even a real word. :<
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by andrey on 07-15-2006 at 06:55 AM

"smiles" is definately the longest word

:tongue:

..why?

...there's a MILE between the first and last letter

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by ShawnZ on 07-15-2006 at 06:56 AM

quote:
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

first of all, thats two words, and not real ones at that
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Underlord on 07-15-2006 at 06:59 AM

quote:
quote:

I already said that it isn't a real word :dodgy:
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by prashker on 07-15-2006 at 07:11 AM

disrespectfulnesses :cheesy:

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by -dt- on 07-15-2006 at 07:38 AM

a

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by user27089 on 07-15-2006 at 07:52 AM

The longest word has been said, but the shortest sentence is Go.

:D.

RE: RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nagamasa on 07-15-2006 at 07:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
quote:
quote:

I already said that it isn't a real word :dodgy:

quote:
Excerpt from http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/t46.html

What is the longest word in the dictionary?

It might be "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (which appears in the Oxford English Dictionary), unless you want to count names of diseases (such as "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis," defined by the OED as 'a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, but occurring chiefly as an instance of a very long word'), places (such as "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch," a village in Wales), chemical compounds (apparently there is one that is 1,913 letters long), and also a few words found only in Joyce's Finnegans Wake.

There y'all go.
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Chestah on 07-15-2006 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
a

Why do you always have to win :(
RE: RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nagamasa on 07-15-2006 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
a

Why do you always have to win :(

I is shorter:

i
a

EDIT: Therefore, I win both longest and shortest!
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by ddunk on 07-15-2006 at 08:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

"No." works too.
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Underlord on 07-15-2006 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

"No." works too.
"Hi." also
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nathan on 07-15-2006 at 09:53 AM

heheh,
"U"
Theres the shortest one :P

(in txt language) :P

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Eljay on 07-15-2006 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
heheh,
"U"
Theres the shortest one :P

(in txt language) :P

No.
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nathan on 07-15-2006 at 09:55 AM

Yes.

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Eljay on 07-15-2006 at 09:56 AM

Text language doesn't count. No.

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by John Anderton on 07-15-2006 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
quote:
That's not even a real word. :<

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nathan on 07-15-2006 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
Text language doesn't count. No.
It does now. :refuck:
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by ShawnZ on 07-15-2006 at 10:31 AM

no, it doesn't.

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nathan on 07-15-2006 at 10:37 AM

kk, I was only joking anywas :/

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Vimto on 07-15-2006 at 10:56 AM

I know the word Vaccination :D:D:D how good am I!!!

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nathan on 07-15-2006 at 11:00 AM

Or,
Brenninkmeyer Is the longest on ei know part form superfradi........
:P

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by SerGuMa on 07-15-2006 at 11:05 AM

"esternocleidomastoideo" is the longest word I can recall now xD
"Sternocleidomastoid muscle" is called in English it seems (according to the wikipedia).

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Aeryn on 07-15-2006 at 11:17 AM

Kuulilennutunneliluuk (but that's in Estonian :p).

In English, uh... semipreciousness?

:p

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Underlord on 07-15-2006 at 12:04 PM

Want a prize?

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Vimto on 07-15-2006 at 01:47 PM

Euouae is the longest word with only vowels :O

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by absorbation on 07-15-2006 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Vimto.
Euouae is the longest word with no vowels :O

Do you know what a vowel is? :P
RE: RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Vimto on 07-15-2006 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:
Euouae is the longest word with only vowels :O

Do you know what a vowel is? :P

Yes  - A E I O U -

Euouae is the term for the closing words of the Doxology in a gregorian chant. :P
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Eljay on 07-15-2006 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Yes  - A E I O U -

Euouae is the term for the closing words of the Doxology in a gregorian chant. :P

longest word with ALL vowels, not NO vowels, idiot.
RE: RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nagamasa on 07-15-2006 at 02:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
You should also disallow agglutinative construction, which is what creates "antidisestablishmentarianism". Why? Because via this construct I could make "great...grandfather" and claim it as a word.

Its great-....grandfather, not greatgreat. Therefore, ice-cream is 2 words. And your word is actually a lot of words.

quote:
"Floccinaucinihilipilification" is one letter longer than "antidisestablishmentarianism" - I win!

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is a lot longer. Even check the link I posted way up above. (Which is: http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/t46.html)

TIME and ADMINS: Please edit Time's post as the great....grandfather is stretching the posts too far.
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by ShawnZ on 07-15-2006 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is a lot longer.

first of all, it is two words, and neither of them are real

"read up"
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by tony on 07-15-2006 at 03:06 PM

youallsux:cheesy:

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Voldemort on 07-15-2006 at 03:59 PM

Diclorodifeniltricloroetano real chemical

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Thor on 07-15-2006 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
youallsux:cheesy:
Good spelling :P
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by haydos on 07-15-2006 at 05:26 PM

quote:
quote:
You should also disallow agglutinative construction, which is what creates "antidisestablishmentarianism". Why? Because via this construct I could make "great...grandfather" and claim it as a word.

Its great-.... not greatgreat. Therefore, ice-cream is 2 words. And you word is actually a lot of words.

Actually if you cared to read Time's post, you should see that he assumed agglutinative construction was not disallowed.

quote:
Originally posted by wiki
English is a language which permits the legitimate extension of existing words to serve new purposes by the addition of prefixes and suffixes. This is sometimes referred to as agglutinative construction. This process can create arbitrarily long words: for example, the prefixes pseudo- (false, spurious) and anti- (against, opposed to) can be added as many times as desired. A word like anti-aircraft (pertaining to the defense against aircraft) is easily extended to anti-anti-aircraft (pertaining to counteracting the defense against aircraft, a legitimate concept) and can from there be prefixed with an endless stream of "anti-"s, each time creating a new level of counteraction. More familiarily, the addition of numerous "great"s to a relative, e.g. great-great-great-grandfather, can produce words of arbitrary length.

"Antidisestablishmentarianism" is the longest common example of a word formed by agglutinative construction, as follows:

establish
    to set up, put in place, or institute (originally from the Latin stare [special a edited out], to stand)
dis-establish
    ending the established status of a body, in particular a church, given such status by law, such as the Church of England
disestablish-ment
    the separation of church and state (specifically in this context it is the political movement of the 1860s in Britain)
anti-disestablishment
    opposition to disestablishment
antidisestablishment-arian
    an advocate of opposition to disestablishment (alternatively, but less likely and quite similar in meaning, "opposed to disestablishmentarians", depending on what "anti-" is taken to belong to)
antidisestablishmentarian-ism
    the movement or ideology of advocates of opposition to disestablishment; the movement or ideology that opposes disestablishment

RE: RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by ~INVASION~ on 07-15-2006 at 10:00 PM

quote:

RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Voldemort on 07-15-2006 at 10:05 PM

Time ftw. He's always right.

RE: RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by Nagamasa on 07-16-2006 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Diclorodifeniltricloroetano real chemical

I said, NO NAMES (which does include chemicals in this case).:@ but OK.

quote:
quote:
Its great-.... not greatgreat. Therefore, ice-cream is 2 words. And you word is actually a lot of words.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is a lot longer. Even check the link I posted way up above. (Which is: http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/t46.html)

TIME and ADMINS: Please edit Time's post as the great....grandfather is stretching the posts too far.

No, agglutinative construction allows greatgreatetcgrandfather to be one word, just as it allows antidisestablishmentarianism to be one. And the hyphens are optional. As is shown by antidisestablishmentarianism being spelt without them. Ice is not a common prefix, thus ice-cream is not a construct under this pattern. In fact "ice cream" is rarely, if ever, hyphenated.

Well great isn't a common prefix either.

quote:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is poetic licence, a nonsense word, even its dictionary "definition" says so.

It is still a word, and it is in Oxford English Dictionary. I rather trust that.

quote:

And: no, I won't edit my post. It makes my point. Get over it.

True, it does make your point, but it'll still do with less greats. Its pissing me off...

quote:

Finally, you have mistakes in your post. Basic mistakes; why would anyone trust your knowledge of English over mine with those mistakes? :---(

I was in a hurry last night...and I usually edit my posts after, but didn't have time. (So I edited now.)

Anyways, antidisestablishmentarianism is the most common 'really long word', as proven here.
RE: Longest Word you Know! (without looking it up) by doughboyy on 07-16-2006 at 04:48 AM

the shortest thing that i know is sex :P