Shoutbox

[Release]Birthday Reminder - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release]Birthday Reminder (/showthread.php?tid=63382)

[Release]Birthday Reminder by go2hell on 07-16-2006 at 05:24 PM

Well if you are like me and keep forgetting birthdays... this comes handy :P

This script allows you to add birthday reminders and checks each day if it anyone's birthday. If a birthyear is set, then it calculates the person's age.

[Image: viewre5.th.jpg]

[Image: configql1.th.jpg]

[Image: addob2.th.jpg]

Test it and tell me if you find any bugs.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by 4penguino on 07-16-2006 at 05:27 PM

wow thats cool and i supose if u want a reminder u could just use that!! easy i love it

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 07-16-2006 at 05:48 PM

This is sick!  I've needed this for awhile hehe..  Nice Job!

Just one suggestion.  A countdown would be cool too, especially if it could be configured to update daily, hourly, etc.

No bugs yet :)  Good job.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by go2hell on 07-16-2006 at 05:56 PM

Thank you for your quick feedback :)

I'll add an extra collum in the vew window with the counter in a next version.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 07-16-2006 at 06:03 PM

Sweet deal... No problemo!  :)  I just had another idea.  Have the text change colour as it gets closer to the birthday.  Of course try and make that configurable too.  So people can have all sorts of crazy colours.  Mabye allow gradients to be used (slowly changes colour daily until the birthday). 

I'm going to buy a bike now :|  I'll prolly think of more things on the way. lol

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Jellings on 07-16-2006 at 08:01 PM

Would be nice to have an option to remind you a few [customizable] days before the birthday - so that you have time to get a present etc.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by go2hell on 07-16-2006 at 08:04 PM

I'll look in to that too. Hopefuly it'll be available in the next version.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Koco on 07-16-2006 at 10:59 PM

nice script

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 09:17 AM

Great Script! Suggestion: Allow others to add their b'day by saying for example: !b'day add 26/5/76

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 07-23-2006 at 03:51 PM

ok maybe this is taking it a bit above and beyond, but what if the person whos birthday it is happens to be on your contact list, then in theory you can when setting their birthday link to the contact and configure a birthday greeting that will be automatically sent to them on the day of their birthday. and if they arent online that day well dont worry WLM has offline messaging so they will receive it next time they sign in.

what do you think? is this doable. not to mention its far more customizable than a regular card, you can even add custom colors, gradient etc.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Pure_BY on 07-23-2006 at 04:34 PM

This would be very nice if it would read the info from Edit Contact thingie in WML itself, as it already has the possibility to enther birthday info in there ;)

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 07-23-2006 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pure_BY
This would be very nice if it would read the info from Edit Contact thingie in WML itself, as it already has the possibility to enther birthday info in there ;)

yes that would be cool if the script could collect birthday info from your contacts in WLM as suggested, but it could also then enter anniversaries too, so never again will a man have an excuse to forgot his wifes wedding anniversary. LOL.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by qgroessl on 07-23-2006 at 05:04 PM

Should make a US user friendly one, :p... where the month and the day are switched around.. so instead of dd/mm/yy... mm/dd/yy

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by cloudhunter on 07-23-2006 at 06:29 PM

Or a checkbox/radio box to select the Date format :)

Cloudy

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 07-23-2006 at 07:33 PM

these all sound like great ideas to me.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by jmccarroll on 07-23-2006 at 08:52 PM

Not sure if anyone said this and I missed it, but sortable columns? Would that be doable?

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 07-24-2006 at 05:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jmccarroll
Not sure if anyone said this and I missed it, but sortable columns? Would that be doable?

actually yes that would be nice to have, so you can sort by date or by name or by age, that would be very cool.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by jmccarroll on 07-24-2006 at 06:14 AM

Kind of what I thought too.  I'd also like to place a second vote for a US friendly one.  In the add/edit windows, MM-dd-yyyy format would be nice.  Also listing them in the view all window in that format as well.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by cooldude_i06 on 07-24-2006 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
quote:

actually yes that would be nice to have, so you can sort by date or by name or by age, that would be very cool.

I believe there is a bug in Plus! which prevents ListViews from being sorted.
RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by jmccarroll on 07-24-2006 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
I believe there is a bug in Plus! which prevents ListViews from being sorted.
The contact list cleanup window in Plus! is sortable.  I figured that since it is, scripts made for Plus! would allow it too.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be weird that the Plus! windows can be sorted and scripts windows can't but I'll trust you on that because I'm sure you know more about scripting than I do.
RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by :No-Frost: on 07-24-2006 at 03:36 PM

what about to include a "send message on hi's/her birthay" option???

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 07-24-2006 at 04:51 PM

quote:
ok maybe this is taking it a bit above and beyond, but what if the person whos birthday it is happens to be on your contact list, then in theory you can when setting their birthday link to the contact and configure a birthday greeting that will be automatically sent to them on the day of their birthday. and if they arent online that day well dont worry WLM has offline messaging so they will receive it next time they sign in.

what do you think? is this doable. not to mention its far more customizable than a regular card, you can even add custom colors, gradient etc.

quote:
Originally posted by :No-Frost:

guess the old saying is true "Great Minds Think Alike" LOL.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Lou on 07-24-2006 at 06:05 PM

The names of the windows when they are on the taskbar are all Identical. I suggest you change them so they are more easily understandable for people with a few config windows open.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by lrac522 on 08-02-2006 at 02:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by go2hell

I also have a quick comment. I think the script is overwhelming but I hate to see when my brother signs in all my info appear in his birthday reminder list. Can this be rectified? Thanks…(Y) Hi all...

RE: RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 08-02-2006 at 05:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
quote:
Originally posted by go2hell

I also have a quick comment. I think the script is overwhelming but I hate to see when my brother signs in all my info appear in his birthday reminder list. Can this be rectified? Thanks…(Y) Hi all...

thats a fair point each user should have their own birthday lists thats only sensable, however if your going to go that far why not go even further, in the quote above the guy said the other user was his brother so some of there birthday reminders will be the same, rather than wasting time entering the same data multiple times why not add an option to import birthday reminders from another user of the computer or better still from a file that way birthday reminders for a given user are saved to a file incase the user has to format enabling them to recover the data easier the other user could then also open said file when in his account and import the individual reminders that he too needs that are already in the file. is that doable?
RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by MC Inferno on 08-07-2006 at 03:37 AM

quote:
so never again will a man have an excuse to forgot his wifes wedding anniversary. LOL.

I hope i dont use msn by the time im married. :P

Anyways, while i wont personally use it, great cript, its a great idea (Y)
RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Jimbo on 08-07-2006 at 10:15 AM

cool script

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by jmccarroll on 08-20-2006 at 08:35 AM

Bumping this to ask if there is anyone who can make a more American friendly version of this.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 08-20-2006 at 09:54 AM

exactly what do you mean by american friendly jmccarroll?

RE: RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by //Chris on 08-20-2006 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by :No-Frost:

Is this do-able??
RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 08-20-2006 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by //Chris
Is this do-able??

yes script can i beleive send messages to thers, your biggest problem is what if they are offline, i think scripts can send emails too so that might be the alternative but with email theres no guarantee the person will check their emails on their birthday. therefore you might encounter problems but hey it is a step in the right direction. the only other thing is maybe the script could utilise the protocals for "windows live call" so you can actually phone through your birthday greeting.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by jmccarroll on 08-20-2006 at 08:14 PM

quote:
exactly what do you mean by american friendly jmccarroll?
Date input mainly.  MM-dd-YYYY format.

Not listed as dd of MM in the list.

Also, could it be made to where if there is a date inputted when entering a birthday, it automatically makes it the birth year instead of having to check that box every time.
RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 08-20-2006 at 09:15 PM

the birth year thing i agree with that does need to be sorted, the time thing well personally i prefer dd/mm/yyyy but perhaps there should be an option to config it to whichever format you prefer.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by dylan! on 08-21-2006 at 04:00 AM

now I wont need an excuse when I forget my gf's birthday:P :refuck: nice script

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 08-21-2006 at 05:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chromopet
now I wont need an excuse when I forget my gf's birthday:P :refuck: nice script

so what your saying is that even though this script will remind you of when your girlfriends birthday is your still going to forget it?

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by dylan! on 08-21-2006 at 05:44 AM

no.. I would have forgotten if it werem't for this script and therefor I put now I wont need an excuse for forgetting it because I wont forget it anymore...probly wouldn't have anyways because she'd be bugging me about it for like weeks before it but still :P

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 08-21-2006 at 06:06 AM

oh ok fair enough.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Spunky on 08-21-2006 at 09:36 PM

I tested the script out using my own birthday and when I opened the list t oview all, it showed me as being 18. While this is right at the moment, you should have it say how old they will be on that birthday (ie for me it would say 19, not 18).

Don't know how much I'll use this script even though it does seem like a good idea. Might add some of my own functionality to it :p

RE: RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by jmccarroll on 08-21-2006 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
I tested the script out using my own birthday and when I opened the list t oview all, it showed me as being 18. While this is right at the moment, you should have it say how old they will be on that birthday (ie for me it would say 19, not 18).

Don't know how much I'll use this script even though it does seem like a good idea. Might add some of my own functionality to it :p

I'd rather see current age.  It will change to 19 when you're 19.
RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by stuartbennett on 08-22-2006 at 05:39 AM

quote:
I'd rather see current age.  It will change to 19 when you're 19.

hey spunky i agree with jmc after all i find it hard enough to know how old everyone is at present anyways so seeing their current age makes more sense to me too, besides we could always get the age at next birthday added couldnt you and maybe a timer that counts it down in days how long is left to go in the form of mm/dd then you know you got xx amount of months and xx amount of days to sort out that present you wanna get them for next year. and with the ability to set a custom reminder to occur when a persons countdown hits a custom set level you can then know ok gotta get that present on order now so its delivered on time etc.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by bussmann on 09-14-2006 at 12:16 AM

Why not give a warning that say all birthdays will be lost on a update of the Birthday Reminder? :@
I don't remember al mine! :'(

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by go2hell on 09-14-2006 at 06:46 AM

Sorry, my bad :(

It's a todo for next version, not to delete old settings (as soon as I have some time for it again).

Sorry again.

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by ManuBx on 11-05-2006 at 12:18 PM

suggestion for next version :
Import / export birthdate from outlook / outlook express
Store birthdate in a local file easy to copy to save datas.
;)

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by EsCaDa on 03-30-2007 at 02:03 PM

N!ce ..
thanx ..

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by aNILEator on 03-31-2007 at 08:36 AM

dunno if it has been suggested (I know americanised was) but to solve all date issues you could use global format

yyyy/mm/dd

although to keep everyone happy an options menu to change between formats would be great

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by Eddie on 03-31-2007 at 09:44 AM

Looks cool :) but i agree with NILE :)

RE: [Release]Birthday Reminder by CookieRevised on 03-31-2007 at 10:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
dunno if it has been suggested (I know americanised was) but to solve all date issues you could use global format

yyyy/mm/dd

although to keep everyone happy an options menu to change between formats would be great
The list of formats should be taken from Windows itself and there should be an additional 'System Default' entry. In that way you have all the possebilities. (goes for every other script/plugin which uses date formats too imho) ;)