Shoutbox

[Beta-Release] Advertiser - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Beta-Release] Advertiser (/showthread.php?tid=63423)

[Beta-Release] Advertiser by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 08:42 AM

Finally i can release my first script (although in Beta stages), dubbed Advertiser!

Every 10mins it will say in all open conversations ad of your choice.

To edit the ad just go MP!L Prefereces then the Scripts tab then highlight Advertiser and click edit and at the top on the very first line change the 'Please visit http://www.example.com/ for...' to what ever you want, but remember not to change anything else otherwise the script could mess up and also make sure to keep the ' and ' otherwise the script could mess up!

Plans for final release:
- A nice options box with:
    - Options to edit the ad without doing a lot of hard work
    - Options to edit the time without doing a lot of hard work
- The option to add more than one ad
- And anymore suggestions are welcome

Bugs:
- None as yet! (Please report if found)

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Zahid™ on 07-17-2006 at 08:47 AM

Screenshot?

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
Screenshot?

It only sends messages, what do you want the screenshot of?
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Zahid™ on 07-17-2006 at 09:25 AM

Because i never really knew what it did, never read your post properly anyway doesn't matter now.

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by segosa on 07-17-2006 at 09:26 AM

Do you really think you're gonna keep many friends on your contact list if you spam them with shit every 10 minutes? What a retarded script.

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Do you really think you're gonna keep many friends on your contact list if you spam them with shit every 10 minutes? What a retarded script.

It's for people to advertise their website. I just got suggested the idea and decided to do it, i'm sorry if you don't like it.
RE: RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by segosa on 07-17-2006 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fergofrog
quote:

It's for people to advertise their website. I just got suggested the idea and decided to do it, i'm sorry if you don't like it.

Why don't they put their website in their PSM or nickname.
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 09:39 AM

quote:

I dunno i just got this suggested to me!
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Felu on 07-17-2006 at 09:40 AM

quote:

Who looks @ PSM and nicknames these day *-).

I hate advertisements. Dont mean the script is bad or something. It could be good in itself.
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by cooldude_i06 on 07-17-2006 at 09:48 AM

I haven't actually tried the script, but it seems to me that it is just the Hopper script with a timer, right?

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
I haven't actually tried the script, but it seems to me that it is just the Hopper script with a timer, right?

No it says it to all open conversations.
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Felu on 07-17-2006 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
is just the Hopper script with a timer, right?
Nope :p. Read this carefully.
quote:
Finally i can release my first script (although in Beta stages), dubbed Advertiser!

Every 10mins it will display an add of your choice.

To edit the add just go MP!L Prefereces then the Scripts tab then highlight Advertiser and click edit and at the top on the very first line change the 'Please visit http://www.example.com/ for...' to what ever you want, but remember not to change anything else otherwise the script could mess up and also make sure to keep the ' and ' otherwise the script could mess up!

Plans for final release:
    - Options to edit the add without doing a lot of hard work
- The option to add more than one add

Bugs:
- None as yet! (Please report if found)

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by RaceProUK on 07-17-2006 at 12:19 PM

quote:
To edit the add just go MP!L Prefereces then the Scripts tab then highlight Advertiser and click edit and at the top on the very first line change the 'Please visit http://www.example.com/ for...' to what ever you want, but remember not to change anything else otherwise the script could mess up and also make sure to keep the ' and ' otherwise the script could mess up!
Why not make a configuration dialog, to protect users from messing up the script?
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Lou on 07-17-2006 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Every 10mins it will say in all open conversations add of your choice.

quote:
- Options to edit the add without doing a lot of hard work
quote:
The option to add more than one add
should be 'ad' not 'add'.
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by fergofrog on 07-17-2006 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Plans for final release:
    - Options to edit the ad without doing a lot of hard work
- The option to add more than one ad

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Why not make a configuration dialog, to protect users from messing up the script?

Please read the whole post, this is just a beta release, it will be there in v1 which i have already started.
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by sno on 07-22-2006 at 05:51 PM

i think an option to not send it to specific contacts would be good :)

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by stuartbennett on 07-23-2006 at 03:43 PM

i used to be a tournament director for a tournament site on cases ladder, this would be useful for sending out the tournament links but only if a few features existed in the script.

the idea would be that i could set the script to send a message to every online contact in a specific contact group. (my superdudes group) which is the group of people the tournament was designed for. i can set it up to start sending as of a certain time (TD's usually should start advertising as early as 30 minutes before tournament starts) and set a time after which it will stop sending the ad (time of tournament) also during the time in between those 2 times you can get it to resend the link advertisement on an interval schedule of say every 10 minutes.

now if it worked like that i certainly would download and use it, the whole reason i quit being a td was that it was getting harder to get people to sign up, atleast a tool like this would help TD's and i could possibly even send off to cases ladder telling them about the script so they can encourage all TD's to install plus and use this script for advertising which can only help to boost plus's ever growing popularity.

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by cloudhunter on 07-23-2006 at 06:44 PM

Well as mentioned many times before, there is a bug in Windows Live Messenger that stops getting the groups... So it isn't possible through scripts, as it can't be done even outside scripts.

Cloudy

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by stuartbennett on 07-23-2006 at 07:36 PM

ok if i cant lock down to groups how about just to all online contacts then whoever isnt a superdude can just ignore it.

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by cooldude_i06 on 07-23-2006 at 08:07 PM

Why all online contacts? Just get the author to create group within the script itself. You can add/remove contacts to those groups and only those contacts will get the ads. Many other scripts do that already.

In fact, I think there should be a totally independant script whose only function is to allow the user to create groups, add/remove contacts to group and store the information in a xml so that all other script can use the info. Ofcourse this would be totally independant from the changes made to the actual contact list, but atleast it would be something. Best thing tho would be to have it built into Plus.

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Pure_BY on 07-23-2006 at 08:59 PM

quote:
[AGREED]
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by cloudhunter on 07-23-2006 at 09:49 PM

Agreed also, but if you don't like it don't use it ;)

Cloudy

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Chris4 on 07-23-2006 at 10:35 PM

Still have to put up with other contacts spamming you every X minutes.

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 07-24-2006 at 01:09 AM

Is it really so hard to hit ESC?

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by qgroessl on 07-24-2006 at 01:10 AM

Not really... but it gets a get annoying if somebody sits there every five minutes sending you the same message... especially if you're talking to somebody else... or you have other scripts that's functions depend on receiving a message (such as the MessageScroller script...

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by ShawnZ on 07-24-2006 at 01:11 AM

sigh at this script

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by stuartbennett on 07-24-2006 at 06:00 AM

cooldude i06 i agree with your suggested method the reason i never thought of it myself is because i didnt know scriipts could do that. chris4 if your annoyed by a person spamming you i beleive theres a feature in messenger itself thats been around for years that can help, i havent used it much myself but i think its called a block button that blocks a contact until you later decide to unblock them.

RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by CookieRevised on 07-24-2006 at 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
chris4 if your annoyed by a person spamming you i beleive theres a feature in messenger itself thats been around for years that can help, i havent used it much myself but i think its called a block button that blocks a contact until you later decide to unblock them.
So since there is a block feature it means people can start spamming everybody and everything? tbh, I find such reasonings extremely stupid...

Because there is a feature to prevent abuse, it doesn't mean you must be abusive to everyone.

Making such scripts as this will only make it easier for people to spam other people (and again, it isn't because there is a block feature that this shouldn't bother you).

Making the script can be a very good practice, but releasing this in public is IMHO, a bit (not totally) a "no-no".
RE: [Beta-Release] Advertiser by stuartbennett on 07-24-2006 at 11:54 AM

cookie, i do see your point i always try to look for the positives in everything, i know that just cause the block feature exists doesnt mean spamming should be done, however in the case i was giving, superdudes receiving tourney links this wont seem any different on the recipiants end as they would get spammed anyway by the manual messages, if someone then comes back to you and requests that they dont wanna get tournament links anymore then they can be removed from the group that gets spammed and thus they dont necesarrily need to get spammed as it aint spam if you want to receive them is it? your only problem arises when the sender is unreasonable and ignores the removal requests at which point the recipiant then can use block to get rid of them, as long as its used responsibly i dont see a problem with the script being public. anyway thats just my opinion.