Shoutbox

Unable to load contact list - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Unable to load contact list (/showthread.php?tid=63438)

Unable to load contact list by shimmersilver on 07-17-2006 at 12:37 PM

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem after downloading MSN Live Messenger. I can't load my full contact list after several log ins and outs. 

Does anyone know the reason?

Thanks for answering. =)

MK

RE: Unable to load contact list by Felu on 07-17-2006 at 12:41 PM

Server problems i guess *-).

Btw did you download WLM from http://ideas.live.com or http://messenger.live.com. Thy any one if u didnt.

RE: Unable to load contact list by markee on 07-17-2006 at 12:46 PM

This problem was reported when WLM was first released. I'll try to find the folder that you have to delete so that you re-download your contact list.  I will update this post when I find it.

EDIT: I remember reading this somewhere on this forum but couldn't find it anywhere :S at least google helped me eventually

quote:
Originally posted on forum.msgshit.com by Christiano
If your contact list is empty or incomplete after you upgrade to Windows Live Messenger, the cached contact list may not have updated correctly. To update your contact list, follow these steps:
a. Sign out of Messenger.
b. Click "Start," click "Run," type the following command, and then click "OK":
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\
c. A new Microsoft Windows Explorer window opens. In the window, click your Messenger ID.
d. Double-click the Contacts folder.
e. Delete the two folders that are in the Contacts folder.
f. Sign in to Messenger again.

note: b. can also be done by going through the likes of windows explorer
X:\Documents and Settings\%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\

"X:\" is the drive which windows is on and "%USERPROFILE%" is your username for your computer.

I hope this fixes your problem :)

EDIT 2: please see my next post further down for what to do different to this in WLM
RE: Unable to load contact list by Ezra on 07-17-2006 at 01:02 PM

Do you use a router?

I sometimes have this problem too, msnm just crashes while loading the contact-list, restarting my router usually fixes this.

RE: Unable to load contact list by Hussain36 on 07-17-2006 at 01:28 PM

hello...

i also have the same proplem
it told me that i haven't any contact in my list and sometime it showes me some of my contacts

please help us... :(

RE: Unable to load contact list by karlaneilox on 07-17-2006 at 04:55 PM

markee? if i do what you have said.. will it not delete all of my contacts??? xx

RE: Unable to load contact list by Eljay on 07-17-2006 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by karlaneilox
markee? if i do what you have said.. will it not delete all of my contacts??? xx

it wont, as your contacts are stored on the messenger server. when you sign back in after doing this the list is re-downloaded.
RE: RE: Unable to load contact list by Unreal209 on 07-17-2006 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
This problem was reported when WLM was first released. I'll try to find the folder that you have to delete so that you re-download your contact list.  I will update this post when I find it.

EDIT: I remember reading this somewhere on this forum but couldn't find it anywhere :S at least google helped me eventually
quote:
Originally posted on forum.msgshit.com by Christiano
If your contact list is empty or incomplete after you upgrade to Windows Live Messenger, the cached contact list may not have updated correctly. To update your contact list, follow these steps:
a. Sign out of Messenger.
b. Click "Start," click "Run," type the following command, and then click "OK":
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\
c. A new Microsoft Windows Explorer window opens. In the window, click your Messenger ID.
d. Double-click the Contacts folder.
e. Delete the two folders that are in the Contacts folder.
f. Sign in to Messenger again.

note: b. can also be done by going through the likes of windows explorer
X:\Documents and Settings\%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\

"X:\" is the drive which windows is on and "%USERPROFILE%" is your username for your computer.

I hope this fixes your problem :)

I tried both of them and neither worked lol, emr, i had no of the files. Anysugestions on what to do? First post :D.
RE: Unable to load contact list by shimmersilver on 07-18-2006 at 01:18 AM

yup, markee. mine doesn't have the contact folder either. Only my username and then this folder called "Sharing folders".

RE: Unable to load contact list by SandraK on 07-18-2006 at 01:29 AM

I found the contact folder under:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\

RE: Unable to load contact list by darkchild2 on 07-18-2006 at 02:04 AM

I've found the contact folder but it's empty.

RE: Unable to load contact list by markee on 07-18-2006 at 03:17 AM

I'm sorry that I didn't check it out myself before posting, it only had the sharing folder for me too.  Instead I found the folder i the same place as SandraK

quote:
Originally posted by SandraK

Then go into the folder with your email address.  There are 2 hidden folders in there that you delete instead of the ones in my earlier post.  These files and folders then will be replaced next time you sign in.  I have even done this myself to make sure that it works.  I found that it was a bit slow to sign in but I had that kind of thing yesterday and it has been recorded in another thread, I just restarted my computer and it signed in nicely with all my contacts there.
RE: Unable to load contact list by welshboy222 on 07-18-2006 at 06:25 AM

After WLM logged me in after 10 min I havn't got any contacts I hope this is fixed soon.

RE: Unable to load contact list by linx05 on 07-18-2006 at 08:34 AM

This is weird. My mate is having this problem. And we're both having these problems:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63409
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63472

I think it is safe to say the problem is on their (Microsoft) end.

RE: RE: Unable to load contact list by TouchIt on 07-18-2006 at 12:32 PM

quote:
I'm sorry that I didn't check it out myself before posting, it only had the sharing folder for me too.  Instead I found the folder i the same place as SandraK
quote:

Then go into the folder with your email address.  There are 2 hidden folders in there that you delete instead of the ones in my earlier post.  These files and folders then will be replaced next time you sign in.  I have even done this myself to make sure that it works.  I found that it was a bit slow to sign in but I had that kind of thing yesterday and it has been recorded in another thread, I just restarted my computer and it signed in nicely with all my contacts there.

i tried this but it still doesnt work
RE: RE: RE: Unable to load contact list by staalelor on 07-18-2006 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TouchIt
i tried this but it still doesnt work

Use another messenger client. Either 7.5 or Windows Gaim and get back to Msn Live when MickeySoft have fixed this problem.

RE: RE: Unable to load contact list by PatrickKL on 07-18-2006 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
This is weird. My mate is having this problem. And we're both having these problems:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63409
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63472

I think it is safe to say the problem is on their (Microsoft) end.

that's exactly my probleme, too :(   and nothing works to fix it... :|
RE: RE: Unable to load contact list by Unreal209 on 07-18-2006 at 03:32 PM

quote:
quote:

I don't evan have the local settings folder! Hope They sort it soon lol.
RE: Unable to load contact list by cragget on 07-19-2006 at 02:00 AM

I'm having the exact same problem as well. But this only happened after I installed Messenger Plus...Don't really know where the problem is.

I just logged on and my entire contact list was completely erased...So I tried to add them again and it said that I couldn't add this particular contact because they were already in my list.

So MSN recognises my lists but doesn't display, and now I can't talk to anyone. If ANYBODY has a solution to this I'd greatly appreciate it.

RE: Unable to load contact list by CookieRevised on 07-19-2006 at 02:23 AM

Please search the forums before making threads and/or posts.

Also if a thread is linked to for having the same issue, post in the original thread (or suggested thread) instead of continuing in the new thread.

There are already gazillion threads about this issue
* Connection Error

For all those who can't login to WLM....
Do we get our contacts back?
Will NOT sign in!
Live! Messenger .. lots of bugs??
Cannot sign in and no error message?
etc...