Shoutbox

Connection Error - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Connection Error (/showthread.php?tid=63472)

Connection Error by AussieMike on 07-17-2006 at 07:30 PM

I keep getting this on Windows Live Messenger;

http://www.kelika.co.uk/dl/WML.JPG

See the yellow box on WML

I don't run on more than one PC, just this one, any ideas?

RE: Connection Error by Thor on 07-17-2006 at 07:39 PM

That's a error box, saying that it has problems getting your contact list (or other preferences that is general for your MSN Messenger (and others, not sure)) saved on the MSN. :)

Nothing to worry about, it usually disappears after a time. :)

RE: Connection Error by AussieMike on 07-17-2006 at 07:43 PM

Oh right, I thought I might have done something

Thanks for the quick reply, it's only started appearing since yesterday.

RE: Connection Error by ReD-RevolutioN on 07-17-2006 at 08:06 PM

i also get this error too.Why is this happening?And changes i do in my computer for msn wont exist for  other computers in which  i connect?

RE: Connection Error by AussieMike on 07-17-2006 at 08:15 PM

If you hover mouse over the icon it says connection error too

RE: Connection Error by ReD-RevolutioN on 07-17-2006 at 08:17 PM

what do u want to say by this? i dont even have understood why this problem appears...

RE: Connection Error by Supersonicdarky on 07-17-2006 at 08:27 PM

i have the exact thing, but i was too lazy to post it...

i just ignore it, everything works fine, i think...

RE: Connection Error by Sypher on 07-17-2006 at 08:55 PM

Had the same problem but it looks like my nickname isn't saved at all... Quite annoying

RE: Connection Error by BlackStar on 07-17-2006 at 10:38 PM

According to Microsoft Helppage:

You can get there also by clicking on the mainwindow the text that says:
Due to a connection problem, changes you make might not be applied to other computers you use

This is the text on the HelpPage:

Send another type of message

1. On the Actions menu, click Send Other.
   2. Click an option to send one of these types of messages:
          * An e-mail message
          * A message to a mobile device
          * A message to an MSN Direct device
          * A wink
          * A single file
   3. Click a contact name, and then click OK.
   4. Type your message, and then click Send.

Notes

* If you are sending a message to a Yahoo! Messenger with Voice address, enter the full e-mail address.
    * You may see two entries for the same contact. This can occur when you add a Messenger contact that uses both Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. To determine if a contact is using Yahoo! Messenger with Voice:
          o Open a conversation window in Messenger. If there is a Yahoo! Messenger with Voice icon under the contact's display picture, they are using Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.
          o Hover your mouse over the contact's name in the main Messenger window. If their e-mail address is followed by Yahoo!, they are using Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.
    * When you send a message to a mobile device, Messenger first sends an invitation to the mobile device contact to exchange messages with you. The mobile device contact must accept the invitation before they can receive your message.
    * You can send instant messages when your contacts are offline, and they will receive your messages the next time they sign in to Messenger.
    * You can only send your offline contacts text or emoticons.

I have also the same "problem". I have 11 computers connected to the same server using NAT (Network Adress Translation) although I have Port Forwarding.

I think this is just a glitch on the Yahoo Beta stuff. If you go to the MainWindows Menu-Tools_Options and select Connection and Advanced Settings - TCP Test you can test your connections.
If it is okay it is most probably it really is a just a glitch.

RE: Connection Error by tony on 07-17-2006 at 11:03 PM

yep i have this problem too, i can see just like 30 of 80 of my contacts, i hope its a server issue and can be replaced soon. i switched back to 7.5 and works fine :(.

RE: Connection Error by darkchild2 on 07-18-2006 at 01:53 AM

I also got this problem.

RE: Connection Error by Deano on 07-18-2006 at 07:25 AM

yeh i keep getting it its quiet annoying but it goes away so yeh i hope they can fix it ;)

RE: Connection Error by pasheeni on 07-18-2006 at 02:31 PM

yea...having the same prob as well..it's surely is getting annoying

RE: Connection Error by Messiii on 07-18-2006 at 02:51 PM

Same problem here. Thougt I was the only one but it doesn't look like that. Really annoying.

RE: Connection Error by andrewdodd13 on 07-18-2006 at 03:52 PM

Just to confirm, this definetly isn't caused by the Plus! Live 4.01 update, as I tried it on another PC on my network (using WLM) and I couldn't sign in.

* Although I just got on now, it took 3.5 minutes.

I'd speculate that it's because of the updates to MSNP14.

RE: Connection Error by Sunshine on 07-18-2006 at 04:36 PM

There's more:
In systray the WLM icon doesn't always display the correct status:
- I get "connection error" on hover over when on online...
- When on away the systray icon changes after a bit to the online icon with "Windows Live Messenger - Signed In" on hover over. This probably happens when you're set to other statusses aswell.

RE: Connection Error by Jurassic_Ice on 07-18-2006 at 05:28 PM

so what are we supose to do? install msn 7.5 again and stick with it?

RE: Connection Error by Sunshine on 07-18-2006 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic_Ice
so what are we supose to do? install msn 7.5 again and stick with it?
I'd say do nothing, just wait it out (atleast a few days). Unless ofcourse the problems get too big to handle (maybe use windows messenger if it won't sign in etc.). Whatever decision you make is upto you.

RE: Connection Error by Graventhorp on 07-18-2006 at 07:08 PM

I began having this problem yesterday after successfully using WLM with no issues whatsoever... now I get the "Due to a connection problem, changes you make might not be applied to other computers you use", as well as the "Connection Error" hover message from the tray icon.

I'm on a wireless laptop connected to a LinkSys router which shares the DSL internet connection with two other PCs. I made no changes whatsoever to my laptop between the time it worked fine and when the problem began. Have any solutions arisen?

RE: Connection Error by qgroessl on 07-18-2006 at 07:12 PM

It's a problem with MS... which has been stated already in this thread, and many other threads of the same matter... There's nothing any of us/you can do about it except switch to Windows Messenger or MSN 7.5 for the time being.

It should be fixed in the next few days... I'd imagine the WLM team is all over it and trying to fix it... (The WLM team shouldn't have released a final that was so buggy, it's their fault)

RE: Connection Error by Graventhorp on 07-18-2006 at 07:14 PM

I read on another forum that disconnecting from your LAN and connecting directly to your modem, and then signing in to WLM solves the problem.... haven't tried it yet, sounds weird to me

RE: Connection Error by qgroessl on 07-18-2006 at 07:17 PM

If the solution was that easy I don't know how it could be so widespread throughout the world... I dunno.. try it and report if it works or not :)

RE: Connection Error by Duckness on 07-18-2006 at 07:42 PM

Same problem here and I can only see 7 of my 150 contacts! And no one of them is online so that's bad! :s

RE: Connection Error by jon1988 on 07-18-2006 at 10:41 PM

i still see all my contacts. but i cant add anymore contacts
i added someone yesterday, and as soon as i saw them in my list, it just dissapeard straight away

RE: Connection Error by CookieRevised on 07-18-2006 at 11:11 PM

Some examples of threads which already exist about this:

Do we get our contacts back?
Connection Error
Will NOT sign in!
Live! Messenger .. lots of bugs??
Unable to load contact list
Cannot sign in and no error message?

I very strongly suggest to read them, they answer your questions.

* The list you see in Windows Live Messenger is a cached list (this is a new feature of Windows Live Messenger).

It will be used whenever there are connection problems while WLM was retrieving your list from the servers. It is made that way so you could continue to chat with (some) contacts.

* Whenever the problems with the servers and the new protocol are fixed, Windows Live Messenger will be able to retrieve your full list again. MS is aware of these problems and is working on it, be patient...

* Problems with the servers can be local. And not everybody will experience the same problems; certain people will only see a "connection error" tooltip in the taskbar, others only see a blue or yellow notice on top of the contactlist, others have only half or even no contactlists visible, sharing folders might not work properly, etc... All these kind of things are the result of these server and new protocol problems.

* Certain Plus! features which deal with the contact list (like the Contact List Cleanup feature) get their information from Messenger. Thus if the information from Messenger is wrong (or rather: not up-to-date) then obviously those Plus! features which depend on that info will give you wrong or incomplete results also....

* Programs such as ZoneAlarm can cause connection troubles also.

* You could revert back to MSN Messenger 7.x by uninstalling Windows Live Messenger first. MSN Messenger 7.x works with an older protocol and may not suffer from the problems experienced lately in Windows Live Messenger with the new protocol (as much).

Why this is in bold? Because I have done nothing more than reporting threads all day long about this same issue. People, PLEASE SEARCH FIRST BEFORE MAKING A THREAD OR EVEN A POST!

The list above with threads is only a small subset of what has been created about this issue. Many threads have also been simply deleted already by the mods...

So, please do not make multiple threads about this (hell, do not make multiple threads about any subject for that matter, 1 existing thread is enough). Always search before you make a post or thread!

To others, if you see such duplicated threads, PLEASE do not continue them either! Rather link to the existing ones and REPORT the thread for closure (or even better, and if possible, report it to merge to the already existing one). If you're not sure about what to write in the report or what to suggest, simply note that the thread is a duplicate, the mods will deal with it.

It is absolutely of no use at all to start new threads about the same subject (or even continuing duplicated ones). The only thing which will happen when you do that is that the given information will be spread out over different threads instead of being centralized in one thread and thus much information will be lost, missed, or duplicated.

RE: Connection Error by foaly on 07-18-2006 at 11:47 PM

strangest thing...
my sister tried to sign in on her account and lost all her contacts so i tried to login in with my account and it didn't,
then i change windows account and a third account auto-signs in with no problems... so i log that one out and login with my sisters account after that i couldn't signin with any acount...

ok to make this confusing post a bit clearer...

if you signin with an account that has problems (missing contacts) that messenger gets problems with every account...

that confuses me... cause if it's just a server-problem... then how can a client get bugged?

RE: Connection Error by SandraK on 07-19-2006 at 01:57 AM

I've finally stopped having problems with my contacts list/signing in after about 24 hours (I used 7.5 while WLM had problems), but I wanted to add that I had no problems with delays signing in with my alternate account, on the same computer with the same WLM. The only differences I can think of between my two accounts are, 1. the problem account was signed up for the beta with Yahoo (and it didn't help even after I opted out of the beta), 2. the problem account had 100 contacts while the alternate account only had 10.

I'm glad it looks like MSN has started to fix the problem though.

RE: Connection Error by Jurassic_Ice on 07-19-2006 at 03:02 AM

yaaaay it worked.lol

RE: Connection Error by mitchiev on 07-19-2006 at 04:27 AM

i had it yesterday but its gone now

RE: Connection Error by Duckness on 07-19-2006 at 04:57 PM

Where can we check if it's solved? So I can reinstall WLM and the great stuff: MLP!!!!! ;)

Connection Error solved by geertjen on 07-19-2006 at 07:47 PM

hoi
Everyone who has an problem with the connection with live messenger and they cannot see the contacts  try this ( it works for me)

Close msn messenger (use task manager to make sure)

Delete these folders

(!! warning!!)

(!! your profile, winks and all the personal settings and data will be lost!!)

1) C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Contacts
2) C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp\MessengerCache
3) C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\"

make sure that these folders are deleted "contacts" "Messengercache" "msn messenger"

After that, start msn messenger and sign in, all your contacts should get

Back from the server again.

RE: Connection Error by BlackStar on 07-19-2006 at 08:26 PM

I don't think that this is problem is easyli fixed.
I am now running WML and MLP on different accounts on 4 computers where two of them have Y!M (Yahoo Messenger)

The only computer where the error is not showing up is the one that have WML v8.0.0792 (Without the latest version that strangely has the same versionnumber, i.e. Y!M support), MLP v4.0.0.235 and no Y!M accounts and no Y!M installed.

Many says "Eureka, now it is working again"

My findings is that the error is very random. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Just take it cool, Microsoft will probably fix it in due time.

RE: Connection Error by geertjen on 07-19-2006 at 08:58 PM

Believe me it works

I have this from the microsoft live messenger forum itself :)
so they will know what they are dealing with :d

RE: Connection Error by Duckness on 07-19-2006 at 09:27 PM

A friend of mine tried it and it worked!

RE: Connection Error by pasheeni on 07-20-2006 at 07:59 AM

heyy it worked.....
at first it took sometime to log in..but when i got signed in....theres no more connection error..could see all my contacts
you rock man..thankssss

RE: Connection Error by BlackStar on 07-20-2006 at 08:04 AM

The last 11 hours I have had no more errors. Seems that MS has solved that problem. New problems now is that there is no "Away" or other messages from Y!M. Not are the Emoticons visible anymore, just the text for the Emoticons name.
But they are just Betas so I don't care anymore....

Just found out that the Emoticons from MS is working but not the ones you added yourself from the (Quick Icons).

They said they've fixed the problem but... by cragget on 07-21-2006 at 01:51 AM

I STILL haven't got my entire contact list back. And when I try to add people, it tells me that they're already on my list so I can't add them. What is going on?