Shoutbox

help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. (/showthread.php?tid=63594)

help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by lordy on 07-19-2006 at 09:07 AM

for literature we have to write an essay on something of our own topic.

Well I was wanting to write on what it's like to be gay, and I wanted to get as many different people's perspectives on it.

I was wondering if you wanted to give me your perspective on it, what goes through your head and shit.

No names would be mentioned in it.

BTW, I'm also looking for straight people's views on gay/lesbians, so everyone is able to contribute to this.

If you don't feel comfortable posting in this thread then just PM it to me, or email it to me on my gmail account: lordy16 [at] gmail.com

BTW mods, could this be left in GCC and not put in T&T please? At least then I might get people actually posting thoughtful stuff and not spamming the thread

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by mezzanine on 07-19-2006 at 09:52 AM

This is a difficult and rather broad topic; it won't be easy for you to write this essay and for others to express their opinions. A few questions to target some clear answers would have been helpful. Writing about one's perspective and "what goes on in one's head" is far from being easy, especially in a web environment.

"What's it like to be gay?"
I first laughed at this question. You see, there's no much difference between being gay or straight. It's just our brain's response to different stimuli. I'm sure Wikipedia can offer a lot of info on the technical side of this.

Here's my opinion on this entire gay/straight issue. I don't believe that such categories should exist in our society. In my opinion, the human being is designed to feel sexual pleasure with anyone and anything. The body makes (or should make) absolutely no difference between your hand and your partner. Or between a male and a female partner. As long as both (or more) are sexually attracted, I don't see anything wrong. This is also why I'm totally against all forms of discrimination, especially sexual.

I am bisexual. I'm equally attracted to both men and women. I have had sexual relationships with both guys and girls and I couldn't tell any difference in my brain and body's responses. It "felt" the same. This offers a lot of possibilities, including my favourite, the threesome.

I'm not sure about how you will be able to collect opinions from this somewhat homophobic community, but good luck with your essay.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by Vimto on 07-19-2006 at 09:59 AM

I am not really into the whole "Write a page thing" but I can give a few views.

Gay,lesbian and bisexuals don't bother me. I'm not the type fo person to be like "Eww don't come near me." I absolutely adore gay men and boys because you can talk to them about anything and they aren't the macho type that most men are.
I don't want to sound steriotypical when I say this but most gay men, you can talk to about stuff you would talk about with you other girlfriends.
I have a friend who is very homophobic :( she says that it is unnatural for a person to be bisexual. I don't see anything wrong with this. Just because a person is attracted to both sexes.
I was told that we all have a bit of "Gay" in us and at at least one point in our lives we will be attracted to a member of our own sex. Its just that some people choose to shunt it awayand some choose to show it.
I completely agree with mezzanine that such catregories should exist.
Don't know if this helps but ..

Also sorry if I sounded steriotypical about gay men.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by lordy on 07-19-2006 at 10:08 AM

Just so everyone is clear: Yes I am bi, so I could write this from my own perspective, but I'm looking for other people's perspectives on it.

It's more on the feelings associated with being gay/bi  in our society, and also the feelings that sort of thing invokes in people that aren't gay/bi/lesbian etc.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by alexp2_ad on 07-19-2006 at 10:14 AM

Gays and straights are no different in "what goes through your head and shit", the only differences are the obvious!  I agree that I think you've picked a bit of a broad topic.

There was a good article on Digg a little back suggesting that the more male children a woman has carried increases the chance of a child being gay.  ie.  the more older brothers you have, the more chance you have of being gay.  Yahoo seems to have removed the article, because they remove stuff after a certain time, but here's some other version of it: http://scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?chanID=...0-B6C483414B7F4945

EDIT:  And doing it based more on social issues is a good idea. (Y)

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by azn angel on 07-19-2006 at 10:26 AM

teh weird thing is, i was actually thinking about sexuality.
we do not choose are sexuality on our own - we are influenced majorly. i think its what is the 'norm'. i know im being vague here so let me give you an example. i am currently attracted to males only (this is because the idea of lesbians has been portrayed for so long as the 'wrong thing' and because when i think of lesbians i think of two hot chicks making out and guys loving it, i dont want or like that kind of attention) anyway, i think, that if i had a sex change and became a male and spent the time i normally spend with females, with males, id start to like females rather than males.
i dont think you can be born homo or hetro - its all in your thinking. its what we learn and grow to accept. although i dont have anything against homo or hetro people im finding it a bit hard to comprehend the actual sexual acts committed by homo people.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by RaceProUK on 07-19-2006 at 10:52 AM

Hetero, homo, bi - it's all down to personal preference in the end.
I know people from all three categories. However, I don't think of them in those categories: they all belong to the same category, that of 'Friends', sub-category of the more general 'People'.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by Underlord on 07-19-2006 at 10:55 AM

I don't have any problems with gay or bi people, but the whole concept of sticking a body part into another persons anus doesn't seem right to me.

RE: RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by Vimto on 07-19-2006 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
I don't have any problems with gay or bi people, but the whole concept of sticking a body part into another persons anus doesn't seem right to me.

If your reffering to the way gay men have sex then many straight couples do the same
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by Underlord on 07-19-2006 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Vimto.
If your reffering to the way gay men have sex then many straight couples do the same
I didn't say it had to be gay men.
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by blondee93 on 07-19-2006 at 11:11 AM

i think that if you are gay, then that is your choice! personally i think the idea of having a relationship with another girl really nasty but if some people like this idea then it doesn't mean i will judge them any differently. The only problem is, if i was by a lesbian, i would feel very uncomfortable as they might fancy you or something. In my school there is this lesbian and she has been asking people to go out with her and asking them on dates and stuff. I think that is wrong as it makes other people feel guilty when they say no and also it makes them uncomfortable with that person.
Apparantly girls get on better with gay men because gay men can be quite feminine but they are not quite as bitchy as girls and stuff.
That is my view hope it helps you x x x

RE: RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by alexp2_ad on 07-19-2006 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
An interesting thing most people never realise is that both concepts of evolution and religion consider homosexuality wrong. Interesting, huh? I tend, as a scientist, to agree with evolution/biology... homosexuality does not allow for procreation and continuance of a species thus I would frown upon it. But as a liberal person *shrug* it's down to you, it's your life to live and enjoy in whichever way you see fit. I would not judge anyone because they were gay or whatnot, I discriminate based on individual merits or lack thereof.

Actually, I read an article the other day that pointed out that surely if homosexuality was an evolutionary fault, it would have been stamped out by now, and it would be unlikely to be noticeable in other species.  It suggested that homosexuals provided an essential social factor helping the overall survival of the species.  Whether or not nice curtains and show tunes are an essential social factor I'll let you decide. :P

Not sure whether I'd agree that evolution would bring out homosexuality, but it does make an interesting point... the whole point of evolution is if it doesn't benefit the species then it's fixed, so why is homosexuality still here if it's not meant to be?
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by lordy on 07-19-2006 at 12:20 PM

By saying that you have alex, you're also saying that homosexuality is genetic, because evolution only stamps out genetic traits that are detrimental to the organism's survival.

Homosexuality could be something that is learned, or it could be something (as some theories suggest) that is cause by chemical inbalances in the brain that begin in the womb. But I highly doubt that it's genetic, or, as you say, it would have been bred out of the species already.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by RaceProUK on 07-19-2006 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blondee93
In my school there is this lesbian and she has been asking people to go out with her and asking them on dates and stuff. I think that is wrong as it makes other people feel guilty when they say no and also it makes them uncomfortable with that person.
It's not wrong at all. What's wrong is the fact that people feel uncomfortable about it afterwards.
quote:
Apparantly girls get on better with gay men because gay men can be quite feminine but they are not quite as bitchy as girls and stuff.
Oh, they can be bitchier, trust me on this ;)
quote:
Originally posted by lordy
But I highly doubt that it's genetic, or, as you say, it would have been bred out of the species already.
And yet homosexuality isn't just present, it's rife in numerous species. It's just that we humans, with our 'culture' and 'knowledge', have made a big deal out of something that, to be quite frank, it as normal as breathing.

Edit: In fact, it's possible to view homosexuality as something that's beneficial, as it allows infants to learn the procreation skills necessary without too much competition.
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by alexp2_ad on 07-19-2006 at 12:40 PM

I definitely would put nature over nurture as the reason.

http://www.borndifferent.org/  :P

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by ShawnZ on 07-19-2006 at 01:19 PM

What people don't understand is that man isn't man made -- anything you do is natural, we're just another species. Though, considering there are male and female, and for just about every sort of animal it's for reproduction, i lean away from homosexuality and bisexuality relationship wise.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by Omar on 07-19-2006 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
What people don't understand is that man isn't man made -- anything you do is natural, we're just another species. Though, considering there are male and female, and for just about every sort of animal it's for reproduction, i lean away from homosexuality and bisexuality relationship wise.
I actually agree with shawnz... :|

But... whatever floats your boat as long as its consensual... Im not bother by gay/bi people...
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by vaccination on 07-19-2006 at 01:53 PM

I agree with Omar and shawnz, It doesn't make any difference what your sexual orientation is. Its no different from anything else. It's up to you if you want to be straight, gay, bi. Your choice, your rules etc.

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK

And yet homosexuality isn't just present, it's rife in numerous species. It's just that we humans, with our 'culture' and 'knowledge', have made a big deal out of something that, to be quite frank, it as normal as breathing.

Exactly.

We humans make to much of a big deal out of things like this. Get over it. (directed towards people who have things against gays.)

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by RaceProUK on 07-19-2006 at 03:48 PM

I blame religion personally. Think about it: strict Catholicism forbids homosexuality, as does strict Islam. Probably all the other major ones too.

RE: RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by alexp2_ad on 07-19-2006 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
I blame religion personally. Think about it: strict Catholicism forbids homosexuality, as does strict Islam. Probably all the other major ones too.

Religion has a lot to answer for if ya ask me. :(
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by vaccination on 07-19-2006 at 04:36 PM

Religion kind of is the breakdown of society as it just splits people into  groups. Then you start getting religious wars and what not.

I don't really trust religion.

To hear me have a rant, pm me. Go on you know you wana. ;)

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by welshboy222 on 07-19-2006 at 04:38 PM

Religion is something for us to hope for as we don't want to be alone, we believe that God is with us also.

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by vaccination on 07-19-2006 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by welshboy222
Religion is something for us to hope for as we don't want to be alone, we believe that God is with us also.

Yeh sure. 8-)

Religion seems like a lie to me.
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by ShawnZ on 07-19-2006 at 05:07 PM

quote:

Religion is for the weak that need to think they're not alone.

you ARE alone. you ARE gone when you die.

[begin flames 8-)]
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by vaccination on 07-19-2006 at 05:09 PM

quote:

[begin flames 8-)]

+ Evil laugh!

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by ShawnZ on 07-19-2006 at 05:12 PM

i meant flames as in everyone's going to yell at me for hating on tha jesoos.

RE: RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by segosa on 07-19-2006 at 05:21 PM

quote:
quote:

Religion is for the weak that need to think they're not alone.

you ARE alone. you ARE gone when you die.

[begin flames 8-)]

I agree. People need to stop believing in shit that doesn't exist and stop looking for a purpose in life. There is none, deal with it. You're born, you live, you die. The end.
RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by FrozenDaggers on 07-19-2006 at 07:33 PM

I'm bisexual and I'm pretty sure that I'm no different to any other straight/homosexual person.

I have had some stuff said to me about things. Specially at school from some jerks who really cannot get over it. 8-) Stuff from homophobic people, and some from people who think 'bisexuality' is a trend. Unfortunatly, some girls seem to think that it's 'cool' to be bisexual and do it for attention. I'm not sure when this all came about, but it has. It really annoys me tbh when I meet someone who only does it for a little bit more attention from the opposite sex.

I know a few bisexual people tbh, but I only found out they were after I "opened up" about me. Weird. So I don't think it was about what I consider the 'norm' to me. It just... happened.

I'm not sure what else you want to know. If you think of any questions or whatever just ask and I'll be able to answer them, but only from my point of view, not from all bisexuals :P

RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by vaccination on 07-19-2006 at 07:57 PM

quote:
i meant flames as in everyone's going to yell at me for hating on tha jesoos.

Meh, works either way. :P

@ Frozen daggers: People actually pretend to be bisexual to be cool?

Hmm.

I think the best thing about being gay or bi etc.. is that you should be open about it. The fact that people start "attacking" people just because of their sexual orientation gets on my nerves. Whats wrong with it? It's another form of racism. It's not needed. Theres nothing wrong with what sex your into. What ever your preference you should be proud of it and not hide away. Though this only happens because of the racism towards it.
RE: RE: help with an essay, everyone will be able to contribute. by FrozenDaggers on 07-20-2006 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

@ Frozen daggers: People actually pretend to be bisexual to be cool?

Yes they do. It's quite sad. Some do it for attention, some are bi just because they can't get sex.

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
quote:
The only problem is, if i was by a lesbian, i would feel very uncomfortable as they might fancy you or something.

:lol: I love this one. It's an argument that is used SO much but it makes no sense. Does every guy you see fancy you? Probably not, so why would a lesbian? Gays/Lesbians don't just think "Oh look, someone of the same sex as me! Hot."

Girls I know are the opposite to that, they try to get me to like them, which is quite odd. My mate asked me if I fancied her once and when I said no she was like "oh". But I know alot of people who like attention... lol... I know alot of guys who are like "as long as he doesn't look at me or touch me, it's okay". HOMOSEXUALS ARENT DISEASED!