Shoutbox

[Release] Agent Message. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] Agent Message. (/showthread.php?tid=63641)

[Release] Agent Message. by cloudhunter on 07-20-2006 at 03:03 AM

Hello ladies and gents, and welcome to my first script ;) This script shows messages you recieve using the MS Agent "Merlin". Ever seen the ebay auctions with a wizard talking on it? Same thing, just mine is in plus format ;)

Screenshot:
[Image: agentmessage.jpg]

How to use: Recieve messages ;) The little fella starts near the centre of your screen, but can be dragged to anywhere. To make him disappear until the next message, right click on him and click "hide".

I made this script just as a proof of concept, and for everyone else to use to get a little variation from toasts. Tell me what you think :) Comments/bug reports/feature requests welcome :)

To whoever made the Message Toasts script: I used the basis of your script as the basis for this as I couldn't think of anything else. (didn't use any of your code though) Thanks

Edit: I have just been made aware of the fact that there is already an agent code in the tips thread. I was unaware of this at the time... I just jumped straight in. However I didn't copy any code from that thread. If anyone has a problem with it, please let me know and I will promptly remove this. Thankyou.

RE: [Release] Agent Message by BstrdSmkr on 07-20-2006 at 03:39 AM

i feel the sudden need to buy you a beer O_O  thats the greatest thing i've seen in a while lol. great job

RE: [Release] Agent Message by cooldude_i06 on 07-20-2006 at 04:33 AM

That is very very nice man (Y). Shows you what cool stuff can be done with just a few lines of code.

RE: [Release] Agent Message by Keikonium on 07-20-2006 at 06:37 AM

Wow, very cool idea :D. I meant to post earlier, but was sidetracked lol. I love the low memory footprint for such a cool program. Mind if I make a few suggestions?

1. I see that the icon is in the systray. Would it be at all possible to place it in the dashboard of WLM? Or make it so you can hide the systray icon (with a right click on the character to "unhide" the icon)?

2. The cat :D. I have never been to fond of the Wizard, and I know XP comes with that little cat, so perhaps adding more buddies?

Huge suggestions I know, but I thought I'd toss them out there. Great script. Is this technically a script? It wouldn't show up in the WLM script list for me *-).

Had to sign out, then sign back in for it to appear lol. Keep up the good work :).

RE: [Release] Agent Message by cloudhunter on 07-20-2006 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
Wow, very cool idea :D. I meant to post earlier, but was sidetracked lol. I love the low memory footprint for such a cool program. Mind if I make a few suggestions?

Thanks :) Took me ages to find out the exact code I needed to use ;)

quote:
1. I see that the icon is in the systray. Would it be at all possible to place it in the dashboard of WLM? Or make it so you can hide the systray icon (with a right click on the character to "unhide" the icon)?

Well I could either try a call to something else to hide the icon, or edit the agent and supply my own version with the script, sans icon. I'll research it :) Either way, I'd add a command to show the agent if it's needed.

As for putting an icon on the dashboard, it is beyond my capabilities ;) I could add a menu in the plus menu for hide and show though?

quote:
2. The cat :D. I have never been to fond of the Wizard, and I know XP comes with that little cat, so perhaps adding more buddies?

More buddies is an option ;) not the cat i'm afraid though. However, there is a huge gallery of characters. I could look to see if there is a cat ;)

quote:
Huge suggestions I know, but I thought I'd toss them out there. Great script.

Thanks alot :) Don't worry about the amount of suggestions, all of them are welcome ;)

Cloudy
RE: [Release] Agent Message by alexp2_ad on 07-20-2006 at 02:07 PM

LMFAO!  That is both absolutely horrible and yet so amazingly brilliant at the same time. :P

RE: [Release] Agent Message by deAd on 07-20-2006 at 02:09 PM

Not to mention it's just -dt-'s code from the Tips thread 8-)

RE: [Release] Agent Message by cloudhunter on 07-20-2006 at 02:17 PM

I didn't use any of -dt- code, and I didn't even know there was a tips thread. If -dt- has any problem with this script and wants me to take it down, then I will willingly comply. However I would like to stress that I didn't copy anyones code to make this.

Cloudy

Edit: First post edited to reflect about the tips thread.

RE: [Release] Agent Message. by John Anderton on 07-20-2006 at 02:24 PM

Wasnt there a similar script made by a beta tester during testing?
Was it Veggie?

RE: [Release] Agent Message. by Veggie on 07-20-2006 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Wasnt there a similar script made by a beta tester during testing?
Was it Veggie?
nope
RE: RE: [Release] Agent Message by Keikonium on 07-20-2006 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudhunter
More buddies is an option ;) not the cat i'm afraid though. However, there is a huge gallery of characters. I could look to see if there is a cat ;)

If these are being loaded from where I think they are (the windows search animated characters) then a cat is indeed there. He's the one I use the rare times I actually search for files ^o).

To bad the office paperclip buddy wasn't there hahaha... I'd shoot messenger (A).
RE: [Release] Agent Message. by cloudhunter on 07-20-2006 at 03:21 PM

The charcters available for use are located in "C:\WINDOWS\msagent\chars" ;) Trust me that there is no cat in there... The search must pull some characters from elsewhere.

Progress report: I can't for the life of me work out how to hide the icon. I was going to edit the merlin.acs and distribute it along with my script, but 1. It's a compiled format, and can't be edited and 2. It would be a 2.00 MB download :|

Cloudy

RE: [Release] Agent Message. by deAd on 07-20-2006 at 03:40 PM

You can edit it with Microsoft's Agent Character Editor, and you cannot hide the tray icon.

RE: [Release] Agent Message. by cloudhunter on 07-20-2006 at 03:47 PM

You can't edit it with Microsoft's Agent Character Editor, as it is a compiled file, as mentioned here.

quote:
Originally posted by MS Agent website
I created my own original Microsoft Agent character but now I want to make some small changes to it and I've lost all the original source files. Is there a decompiler tool or service available so I can reconstitute the original source files from the built character file?

No, the Agent Character Editor doesn't implement such functionality nor does Microsoft provide such a tool or service.

Yeah, I know I can't hide the tray icon unless I created my own agent for it.

Edit: Which I am in the process of doing ;)

Cloudy