Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=63654)

Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by yum9me on 07-20-2006 at 09:06 AM

Software Version:
Windows Live Messenger: 8.0.0792.00
Messenger Plus! Live: 4.01.0.240
Yahoo! Messenger: 8.0.0.508

When using Windows Live! Messenger with Windows Live Messenger with Yahoo! Messenger chat, when you send a message and you have the MSG Plus 1100 character limit enabled and you send a message over the default WLM Default limit the messages isn't received by the Yahoo! Messenger.
This may not be a bug as such but it probably should be fixed so you cannot send a message over the default WLM character limit just so people messages do get through to their Yahoo! buddies.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by RaceProUK on 07-20-2006 at 09:13 AM

This is an issue for MS and Yahoo to fix, to be honest. After all, they wrote the interop without taking into account varying message sizes.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by Dempsey on 07-20-2006 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
This is an issue for MS and Yahoo to fix, to be honest. After all, they wrote the interop without taking into account varying message sizes.
Well it's not really, as WLM has a text limit set, which gets through to Yaho fine, Patchou extended the limit, so therefore Plus! needs to warn users when trying to send an extended message to Yahoo users.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by yum9me on 07-20-2006 at 09:19 AM

If you disable the Messenger Plus! Live character increase, messages work correctly when you use all the characters. I don't think it is something that Microsoft and Yahoo can fix because they set the defaults for a reason and if they allowed you to use programs to increase the limit or removing the limit then they wouldn't have a limit in the first place.

EDIT: Refer to above post ^^^

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by Menthix on 07-20-2006 at 09:25 AM

quote:
This is an issue for MS and Yahoo to fix, to be honest.
Not at all, the character limit on all of Microsoft's clients by default is way lower. There is a reason why they put a limit on it.

I think it's best to make Plus! disable the character limit booster when talking to Yahoo contacts.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by Chestah on 07-20-2006 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I think it's best to make Plus! disable the character limit booster when talking to Yahoo contacts.

Agreed
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by yum9me on 07-20-2006 at 09:32 AM

quote:
quote:

That would probably be the best solution to the problem. :)

Or.... Patchou could make Yahoo! Messenger Plus! :P Jk!

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by Chestah on 07-20-2006 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by yum9me
Or.... Patchou could make Yahoo! Messenger Plus!  Jk!

lol.

Yahoo! Messenger with voice beta Plus! ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by RaceProUK on 07-20-2006 at 11:54 AM

quote:
the character limit on all of Microsoft's clients by default is way lower
Lower than Yahoo? If so, then what about long Y!IM messages? Will they get trimmed by WLM?
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by Menthix on 07-20-2006 at 03:42 PM

I don't know how big YIM's character limit is. But that has nothing to do with this topic anyway. With way lower I meant way lower than the 1100 Plus! allows you.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by stuartbennett on 07-20-2006 at 09:32 PM

why dont we just get microsoft to buy out yahoo! then everything will work perfectly again as theyre will only be one im client again but itll be built for both types of accounts.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by Menthix on 07-20-2006 at 10:03 PM

Competition is healthy.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by RaceProUK on 07-20-2006 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
why dont we just get microsoft to buy out yahoo! then everything will work perfectly again as theyre will only be one im client again but itll be built for both types of accounts.
You're completely missing the point. I originally brought up the Yahoo message length thing as I thought it may be at least partially relevant. After all, if you're gonna interop two networks, you wanna make sure they can share information reliably.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by CookieRevised on 07-20-2006 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
And then you still would have this problem.

quote:
After all, if you're gonna interop two networks, you wanna make sure they can share information reliably.
true, but tbh, that would have been the first obvious thing they checked and made sure it was the same IMHO, or they would have been realy stupid (and I almost never say that of those people :p)....

-

The problem is as stated: it works perfectly between the two networks as-is, but addons which tamper with this aren't taken into account obviously (it even can't be)...

It's like blaming WLM for a crash when you totaly change and rewrite internal code and what not with a patch. They aren't responsible for what a 3rd party unofficial addon does to the program (or network).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 1100 Character Limit and Yahoo! Messenger by Patchou on 07-22-2006 at 05:53 PM

I'll wait that Yahoo compatibility is considered final before I do anything like this :).