Shoutbox

[Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) (/showthread.php?tid=63701)

[Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by NiteMare on 07-21-2006 at 12:16 AM

Alrighty, i've had meany people say they want a way to decline incoming group chats.

this script does that

when you get a new chat with more then 1 person, a window pops up, shows you whos in that conversation, and lets you:

Accept - does nothing but close the little warning window

Decline - tells the conversation "Please ask before starting group conversations"
            - Sends ".pif" to distroy the conversation for everyone
            - Closes the Conversation

RE: Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Lou on 07-21-2006 at 12:22 AM

I think I love you:P THANKS!

RE: Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by CookieRevised on 07-21-2006 at 12:30 AM

The main thing, as in the annoying thing and security thing which is the reason why group convos are sh*t, is that all those in the chat can see you MSN addy once you've been added. Even if those people aren't on your contact list.

This script will not prevent that.

To prevent that you need to capture and decline the protocol messages even before they make it to the convo (so to speak).

Even then, some advanced programmer could sniff the packets which indicate you've been added, but the chance of that happening is very slim...

Although it might still be usefull for some I guess... (Y)

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by NiteMare on 07-21-2006 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The main thing, as in the annoying thing and security thing which is the reason why group convos are sh*t, is that all those in the chat can see you MSN addy once you've been added. Even if those people aren't on your contact list.

To prevent that you need to capture and decline the protocol messages even before they make it to the convo (so to speak).

Even then, some advanced programmer could sniff the packets which indicate you've been added, but the chance of that happening is very slim...

Although it might still be usefull for some I guess...
i made this in about 15 minutes,

and i had group conversations for the fact that people add you to huge lists that you don't even know, and expect you to fit in, then when you close it, they add you back
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by CookieRevised on 07-21-2006 at 12:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
(...) then when you close it, they add you back
This might actually be a hint for a suggestion for your script in that case (and make it more usefull/handy ;)): make an option which people could tick (or is even ticked by default) which will automatically close the convo, thus without the popup, when you're added again the same group convo...

And since it is very hard to see if it is the same convo when you're re-added (as more people might have left or joined), you could check for some things:

1) if the contacts are all the same as before, assume it is the same group convo

2) if a number of contacts are different but all the others are the same, also assume it is the same convo (<= this number can be given as an option even. And if you say "this number of people or lower can be different", it will automatically integrate point 1 also as point 1 states if 0 people are different.)

3) if a new group convo is detected within x minutes/seconds (<= can also maybe even be made into a sub option too)

And these 3 pointers would be the benefit of using the script, because as it currently is, it actually doesn't bring anything usefull or doesn't add anything to what we already can do, sorry :(. It will even be triggered after the convo has popped up. So in that time*, I already could have seen who is in the list and I already could have pressed the red X to close it, even before your scripts warns me about it.

* which should actually be instant seeing the event you've used, but in practice while testing your script I had plenty of time before anything popped up

;)
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Eddie on 07-21-2006 at 05:04 AM

Nice script thanks nitemare :)

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Volv on 07-21-2006 at 07:44 AM

quote:
This might actually be a hint for a suggestion for your script in that case (and make it more usefull/handy ): make an option which people could tick (or is even ticked by default) which will automatically close the convo, thus without the popup, when you're added again the same group convo...
Cookie, what then happens if you change your mind (eg. finished doing your homework or whatnot) and now want to be invited back into the convo after selecting the "Automatically close this convo" check box?
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Chestah on 07-21-2006 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
This might actually be a hint for a suggestion for your script in that case (and make it more usefull/handy ): make an option which people could tick (or is even ticked by default) which will automatically close the convo, thus without the popup, when you're added again the same group convo...
Cookie, what then happens if you change your mind (eg. finished doing your homework or whatnot) and now want to be invited back into the convo after selecting the "Automatically close this convo" check box?

Have an option in the Plus! Menu to "unblock group conversations" :)
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Thor on 07-21-2006 at 08:06 AM

Nice one :)
Good work, I'm using it now. :D

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by alexp2_ad on 07-21-2006 at 08:46 AM

Sending ".pif" doesn't destroy group convos anymore, microsoft fixed that, now it just kicks you out.

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by The_Joker on 07-21-2006 at 08:57 AM

I did a script that auto-close group convo too, just never published it...
I wanted to add some more things before, guess now there is one already so I won't publish it.

Nice to see more people thougt of that idea though (Y)

EDIT: 100th post!!!

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Kenji on 07-21-2006 at 09:19 AM

thanks, wanted oneof these:P

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by NiteMare on 07-21-2006 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
Sending ".pif" doesn't destroy group convos anymore, microsoft fixed that, now it just kicks you out.
it should kick everyone out, and thats what i ment:P
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by NiteMare on 07-21-2006 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jexel
^ err now when you sned .pif only YOU get kicked out of the convo...nobody else and that's what alex meant...
oh, when did they do that:P

oh well, no harm
[feedback] Group Chat Warning by Jellings on 07-21-2006 at 10:32 PM

I've tested Group Chat Warning 0.5 by nitemare, and it hasn't get warned me about a group conversation (so far i've only been able to get myself invited to conversations with only 2 other people)

quote:
- Sends ".pif" to destroy the conversation for everyone.
Just wondering, how does this destroy the conversation for everyone?
RE: [feedback] Group Chat Warning by absorbation on 07-21-2006 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jellings
Just wondering, how does this destroy the conversation for everyone?
Viruses were using the highly powerful .pif extension to spread viruses via MSN Messenger, mostly famously Burpia. The MSN Messenger team were forced to react quickly and blocked the .pif with other extensions from being sent in conversation windows. However, the .pif extension could be used within links, so for added sercuity you can't view anything containing 'pif' in your conversations.
RE: [feedback] Group Chat Warning by cloudhunter on 07-21-2006 at 10:44 PM

It no longer destroys the conversation... It used to kick everyone out of the conversation. But Microsoft fixed the bug, so now it only kicks you out of the conversation :P

Cloudy

RE: [feedback] Group Chat Warning by Jellings on 07-21-2006 at 10:54 PM

ah ok

back on topic - does anyone know why the window isn't appearing when i get a group chat?

RE: [feedback] Group Chat Warning by NiteMare on 07-22-2006 at 12:44 AM

quote:
ah ok

back on topic - does anyone know why the window isn't appearing when i get a group chat?

possably because i designed it to only warn you when a chat with more then 2 people is started so if your already talking to someone, and they add somebody in, nothing will happen

RE: RE: [feedback] Group Chat Warning by Jellings on 07-22-2006 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
ah ok

possably because i designed it to only warn you when a chat with more then 2 people is started so if your already talking to someone, and they add somebody in, nothing will happen

I just tested it again - it worked but the "accept multi chat" window came up behind the multi chat itself. is there a way for the warning window to automatically come up infront of the multi chat when you click to focus on the multi chat?
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Plik on 07-22-2006 at 07:14 PM

Nitemares script has a lot of issuse due to the way it leaves a convo, and the way it detects multiconvos.

I've been working on a script for the same thing for a while, and im just trying to find time to finish the UI then i will release it.
While mine won't be the perfect protocol method that cookie mentioned, it does do a better job of closing the convo (without using .pif), and it doeshave more adjustment options.

Unfortunatly i don't know when it will be done, because i have no free time these days :P

DT can vouch for the fact that i have been working on this for a while, and havn't just stolen nitemares idea

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by NiteMare on 07-22-2006 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik
Nitemares script has a lot of issuse due to the way it leaves a convo, and the way it detects multiconvos.

I've been working on a script for the same thing for a while, and im just trying to find time to finish the UI then i will release it.
While mine won't be the perfect protocol method that cookie mentioned, it does do a better job of closing the convo (without using .pif), and it doeshave more adjustment options.

Unfortunatly i don't know when it will be done, because i have no free time these days :P

DT can vouch for the fact that i have been working on this for a while, and havn't just stolen nitemares idea

give it to me, i'll finish the UI for you and repleace this with it, as a joint script:)

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by ShawnZ on 07-22-2006 at 08:09 PM

quote:

anyone who is that persistant deserves to know my msn address tbfh
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Intosia on 07-24-2006 at 11:52 AM

I like it! Simple and effective! :)

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by riahc4 on 07-24-2006 at 11:53 AM

Some things that would also be nice would be to see (display name wise) who is in the group convo.

Also, Like Cookie said, it would be nice to some way with this script block your email from being seen in the group convo but thats kind of dificult.

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by artfuldodga on 08-13-2006 at 10:12 PM

not really much of a point to this kind of script, if your address can still be seen by everybody :), microsoft really needs to make the invite feature optional :P .. like accepting voice messages or not

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by boston on 08-22-2006 at 05:37 PM

its amazing and you made the coundown nice i like all of your scripts they are always for a good cause :D;)
No bugs

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by NiteMare on 08-22-2006 at 05:47 PM

thanks for the support boston

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by riahc4 on 08-23-2006 at 12:37 AM

Also the "Please ask before inviting to group conversations" should be able to be personalized seeing as not all of us live/chat in a english speaking country.

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Zoozoo on 08-27-2006 at 03:02 AM

Well im editing the script to be really annoying (sending numerous nudges etc.) but i was wondering, if there was any way to block everyone in the chat, unblock them etc, to create numerous toasts to add to the annoying affect.

This script works really good.
Thankyou.

RE: RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by The_Joker on 08-27-2006 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zoozoo
Well im editing the script to be really annoying (sending numerous nudges etc.) but i was wondering, if there was any way to block everyone in the chat, unblock them etc, to create numerous toasts to add to the annoying affect.

Lol, that should help stopping them from adding u.
Post the script when it's done. :P
RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by MicroWay on 08-30-2006 at 01:06 AM

Very good work!!!
I'm using it and it works!!!

Bye

(Y)

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by blackjack on 08-30-2006 at 04:56 AM

Nice, good work :)

RE: [Releace]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Reload2 on 08-30-2006 at 05:01 AM

It's such a great script :D I love it. Good work (Y)

RE: [Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by kevintheman on 10-07-2006 at 03:37 PM

I've been looking for something like this for a long time, and I shall certainly give this a try. Thank you for making this.

Have there been any updates made to this script recently?

RE: [Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by DepecheNYC on 10-13-2006 at 01:41 PM

{e-mail adress removed} is keep abusing me with Group Conversation.  Can all of you are who are reading this do same thing to him?  Is there any site where I can his email address so he'll get shit load of spam mails??

Can you add a feature so that I can block ALL Group Conversation requests so that I can start group conversation with others but other's can't start a group conversation with me?

RE: [Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by NiteMare on 10-13-2006 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DepecheNYC
{e-mail adress removed} is keep abusing me with Group Conversation.  Can all of you are who are reading this do same thing to him?  Is there any site where I can his email address so he'll get shit load of spam mails??

no we will not spam his inbox, why don't you just block him
quote:

Can you add a feature so that I can block ALL Group Conversation requests so that I can start group conversation with others but other's can't start a group conversation with me?
maybe, i'll see what i can do
RE: [Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by CookieRevised on 10-13-2006 at 09:59 PM

quote:
See my posts in this thread:
quote:

quote:
(...) as it currently is, it actually doesn't bring anything usefull or doesn't add anything to what we already can do, sorry :(. It will even be triggered after the convo has popped up. So in that time*, I already could have seen who is in the list and I already could have pressed the red X to close it, even before your scripts warns me about it.

* which should actually be instant seeing the event you've used, but in practice while testing your script I had plenty of time before anything popped up

In short: the script might be usefull for some, but it gives a false feeling. The script only closes the window after it opens up; after the group convo has been taking place, not before. So all the people in the group convo already have seen your email addy as you actually _did_ participated in the group convo (for a few seconds).

The script does not prevent group conversations at all. For that you need to actually intercept and decline the invitation messages on protocol level and that requires a proxy connection.

RE: [Release]Group-Conversation Warning(Version 0.5) by Hinyer on 05-23-2008 at 11:42 PM

Nice script thanks nitemare :D