Shoutbox

[REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts (/showthread.php?tid=63747)

[REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by bungleMX on 07-21-2006 at 09:29 PM

Could be possible to change the avatar of any contact for one of my choice? of course it will only change in my pc, like custom names, put i want to change the avatar...

Thanks

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by Chris4 on 07-21-2006 at 09:32 PM

But then you wouldn't be able to see what their actual display picture was, which would be annoying.

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by bungleMX on 07-21-2006 at 09:39 PM

of course it will be opcional to see yours or his avatar. hehe I don't know how it could be annoying if you decide to change it or not.

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by Chris4 on 07-21-2006 at 09:45 PM

Well I see your point, but I don't know whether it could be done or not.

What brung up this idea? What in particular would you like to do?

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by bungleMX on 07-21-2006 at 11:16 PM

well for example the toast of sign in insted of read you can have your own pics like a cell phone when someone call you, you can add a pic of the caller ;)

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by bungleMX on 08-31-2006 at 11:41 PM

I thing no one wants this hehe

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by cloudhunter on 09-01-2006 at 01:40 AM

I don't think it's the fact that noone wants it, I think its the fact that it is very hard. It would require hooking winsock or messenger and telling it that the display pic is your display pic.

Cloudy

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by AberNStein on 09-07-2006 at 09:13 PM

it's actually been requested before (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=62977)
basically you could do it by replacing the avatar file in the place where msn stores them, and monitoring that file so that you replace it whenever msn does.
i'll see if i can hack together a really basic version of this.

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by deAd on 09-07-2006 at 09:41 PM

And how will you find which file it is? Their names are hashes. You'd have to monitor direct connections and watch for files being modified to match them, and even that would be messy and unreliable.

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by AberNStein on 09-07-2006 at 10:37 PM

turns out it won't work even then.
i made a quick script that replaces the display pic in temp files (it gets the path with the DisplayPicture property of the Contact object), but I can't get messenger to refresh the picture that it displays in convos and whatnot.
for the purposes of other scripts (like a display picture stealer or something), it's changed though.
seems the only solution is hooking or memory patching.
this is the kind of thing that should be integrated into plus.

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by bungleMX on 09-04-2007 at 06:12 PM

After years of the original post hehehe

what about now? is now possible to do this?

RE: [REQUEST] custom avatars for contacts by Jimbo on 09-04-2007 at 06:24 PM

It can still be possible i spose. But it would be so weird as the script would have to call an image and place it in a window over the top of the Display picture so everyones layout would need to be the same. And also it would need to work out which chat window was open, so may cause some problems with group chats.
This could of been possible ages ago with scripts, i just doubt people could be bothered, and i still doubt if someone will make it as it is kind of pointless. Sorry