Shoutbox

Your Views: Religion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Your Views: Religion (/showthread.php?tid=63770)

Your Views: Religion by Discrate on 07-22-2006 at 05:47 AM

I saw Absorbation's thread about your Views and i thought that was a good idea so i have created another thread about a different topic.

I saw another thread about some towers where it was a muslim only day. Many people replied with views on religion, so i have made this thread to discusse the topic of Religion.

Do you believe there is a god/s? What do you think of Religions? have some Religions gone to far with some of there  rules? Are you religous? Do you think religion causes to much violence? If you are religious why do you believe there is a god?

Please trie not to be racist

RE: Your Views: Religion by Veggie on 07-22-2006 at 08:37 AM

i do not belive, religion has causes way to much conflict in the world for no reason.

RE: Your Views: Religion by absorbation on 07-22-2006 at 09:27 AM

I am a theist (I feel like the only one here) :).

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
If you are religious why do you believe there is a god?

I just think how are we here. The universe is a big place, something must of made it.
RE: Your Views: Religion by saralk on 07-22-2006 at 09:44 AM

I don't think there is a god. People use god to explain why we are here, however, if you explain that we are here because another sentient being created us, it just brings the question of how did that being come to exist. And I think most religions conviniently ignore that.

RE: Your Views: Religion by absorbation on 07-22-2006 at 09:53 AM

Well I believe things are not meant to be black and white, that would make life too easy. Maybe we have to find religion, despite it maybe highly unlikely to be true. I mean if God came down everyday, it's evidence he exists, and it would be too easy to live your life. I Believe this life is designed to be a challenge.

RE: Your Views: Religion by andrewdodd13 on 07-22-2006 at 09:55 AM

Do you believe there is a god/s?
Not sure. I don't believe any creation stories up to the point of the big bang, but after that, I have no idea.

What do you think of Religions?
Bad. Ok, so maybe most people that are religious don't go on killing sprees and are everyday happy nice people. But what do they do if we eventually prove that there isn't a God? Unlike in the past where people used "God did it" for an excuse to things they didn't know, where it wasn't actually that important to be proved wrong, this would undermine their entire faith. I'm pretty certain if this happened a lot of people would be "lost".
Whereas with atheists, if we proved God existed, then they'd just be like "ah crap, we were wrong, lets get on with worshipping this dude."

Have some Religions gone to far with some of their rules?
Yes. It's the whole sexist thing. In most widespread religions (christianity, islam, etc) women are treated way worse than men. Although in Christianity it's not so bad in modern days (they're even considering female bishops last I heard (although it's strange for a religious body to accept a "gay" leader before a woman, but whatever)) we can still see Islam being used (I'm not saying this is the whole point of the religion) to keep women almost persecuted in Islamic countries (* thinks Afghanistan).
As I said, I'm not saying this is what the *religion* teaches, but it is what people interpret the religion to say (or exploit it). But in effect, in my opinion anyway, religions are only there to keep people in line anyway.

Are you religous?
No way.

Do you think religion causes too much violence?
Not religion in itself, but the way it's interpreted. And to be quite honest, without religion people would just find another reason to kill each other.

N/A

RE: Your Views: Religion by Sunshine on 07-22-2006 at 10:03 AM

I respect others religion...let everybody believe what they want, just don't force it upon me (in order of trying to convince me i oughta follow your religion..if certain things are off limits because of your belief i will respect that and adjust, not make a fuss about it). Now if everybody would look at it that way there'd be no more fights over religion in the world.

Religions are like everything else...it depends on how the believer interprets it.

Personally i do not follow a certain religion.

RE: Your Views: Religion by John Anderton on 07-22-2006 at 10:35 AM

I for one respect others' religion and allow them to do w/e then want untill and unless it is interfering with something someone else is doing.

I expect the same from all other right minded people.

God may exist as a supreme force. When i meet him, ill let you know. And i dont exactly follow any religion but i like to know about some of them cause the people around me do. Part of religious tolerance i guess 8-)

RE: Your Views: Religion by Aeryn on 07-22-2006 at 10:37 AM

I'm not religious. But there is no solid evidence of either the existence or absence of a deity, so that's why I wouldn't hurry in claiming that there is no god whatsoever and that's it. I guess the easiest way to think of it would be that there exists whatever you decide to believe in.

As far as violence is concerned, I think we all know plenty of examples from history which demonstrate how far religious beliefs can take people and how religion can be used to disguise one's true goals. And in that sense, religion, like all ideas, can be a very dangerous thing.

All in all, I think that if one wants to follow a certain set of beliefs and feels that their life will benefit from that, then why not. We all believe, or at least want to believe, in something. However, what I consider wrong is claiming to follow a certain religion and not always living according to it, the "I'll go to church on every sunday and I can live however the hell I want the rest of the time" mentality. If one has decided to follow a certain belief, it should follow through in every moment of their life.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
let everybody believe what they want, just don't force it upon me
Indeed, it's everyone's own choice what to believe in.
RE: Your Views: Religion by John Anderton on 07-22-2006 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Indeed, it's everyone's own choice what to believe in.
If only that would actually happen this world would be a waaaay better place :<
Unfortunately .....
RE: Your Views: Religion by azn angel on 07-22-2006 at 11:38 AM

atheists ftw! :P

RE: Your Views: Religion by John Anderton on 07-22-2006 at 12:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
atheists ftw! :P
i actually have a friend who calls himself an atheist and then listens to satanic music and keeps all such albums and talks about them all day ...
I hate relionistic hypocrite more than anyother type :dodgy:
RE: Your Views: Religion by GiantSpider on 07-22-2006 at 12:29 PM

I don't know, this is too much of a coincidence, but if there is God, how come loads of shit happens every day?

RE: RE: Your Views: Religion by andrewdodd13 on 07-22-2006 at 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
I don't know, this is too much of a coincidence, but if there is God, how come loads of shit happens every day?

The most common argument I hear to answer this is "free will". Apparently, any harm that befalls a human being is their own choice. I suppose it is in basic logic, but that makes "God" out to be a pretty crappy guy if he created viruses etc. (And ffs please don't say hackers made viruses.)

Also, if we are created "in Gods image", how come we feel jealousy, hate, etc?
RE: Your Views: Religion by absorbation on 07-22-2006 at 12:43 PM

quote:
but if there is God, how come loads of shit happens every day?

Like I said life is designed to be a challenge. Also I believe we are born with free will.
RE: RE: Your Views: Religion by Discrate on 07-22-2006 at 01:18 PM

quote:

Yer i agree, if there is a god why does he/she/it let all this crap go on in the world like wars, fighting, poverty ect.
RE: Your Views: Religion by Tasha on 07-22-2006 at 01:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:
but if there is God, how come loads of shit happens every day?

Like I said life is designed to be a challenge. Also I believe we are born with free will.
Then why doesn't everyone get an equal challenge? I thought everyone was equal to God?

(Btw, not starting an arguement, you can believe what you like, I'm not stopping anyone. :happy: I just don't believe that there is a god really...)
RE: Your Views: Religion by qgroessl on 07-22-2006 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Bad. Ok, so maybe most people that are religious don't go on killing sprees and are everyday happy nice people.

No... some religions don't teach that... but some do... Terrorists are mostly acting out of religious vows.
RE: Your Views: Religion by qgroessl on 07-22-2006 at 01:30 PM

Exactly... Oh, and since I forgot to put it in my first post... I'm catholic myself... Not a very true catholic though. I don't go to church often at all, I don't plan to get married in a church... and I really could pass as an astheist.... parents just won't let me.

RE: RE: Your Views: Religion by Discrate on 07-22-2006 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
Exactly... Oh, and since I forgot to put it in my first post... I'm catholic myself... Not a very true catholic though. I don't go to church often at all, I don't plan to get married in a church... and I really could pass as an astheist.... parents just won't let me.

I go to church. I have to at my school its a catholic school. But im not really catholic.
RE: RE: Your Views: Religion by andrewdodd13 on 07-22-2006 at 01:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
Bad. Ok, so maybe most people that are religious don't go on killing sprees and are everyday happy nice people.

No... some religions don't teach that... but some do... Terrorists are mostly acting out of religious vows.

If you read on, I actually said that it's the people's (not just terrorists) way of interpreting the religion.

Don't go saying Christianity is better than this.

The crusades killed more people innocent than terrorism has to date.
Hitler was in no way Islamic, but he killed all the Jews.
RE: Your Views: Religion by saralk on 07-22-2006 at 03:14 PM

quote:
he most common argument I hear to answer this is "free will". Apparently, any harm that befalls a human being is their own choice. I suppose it is in basic logic, but that makes "God" out to be a pretty crappy guy if he created viruses etc. (And ffs please don't say hackers made viruses.)

If you run a social experiment, you set boundries and once these boundries are set, you do not change the boundries or intefere in the experiment in any way. I'd imagine that if there is a god, he created the universe and just let it be.

From a scientific point of view, there is a theoretical particle called the Higgs Boson, and this particle explains where every particle got its mass from, and so basically explains the origin of anything and everything.

It has never been discovered, but I think this is the closest thing we have to a god. The whole of existence attributed to a single particle.
If you explain this to a deeply religious person, they would probably say that the Higgs Boson doesn't explain why we are here, just how, and that maybe god created the Higgs Boson which lead to the universe.
However, this still doesn't explain who created the creator.
RE: Your Views: Religion by Rubber Stamp on 07-22-2006 at 04:34 PM

i believe in God. and i am religious. but i dont believe that different religions are contrary to each other. ALL religion say the same things, teach the same principles. only power hungry and greedy people use religion religion as a tool to justify their wrong acts and deeds. being a hindu, i visit the temple. God is there, and religion is not bad, only the way some people have interpreted it is bad.

RE: Your Views: Religion by absorbation on 07-22-2006 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha

Then why doesn't everyone get an equal challenge? I thought everyone was equal to God?

How would that be a challenge, how would we feel jealously? Hey everyone who has had everything and been a horrible person may suffer for eternity whereas you will be happy for eternity.

I noticed I used to have the same views as a lot of you people, but as I have grown up with my experiences etc, I truly believe in an afterlife etc. I am just living as the best I can and trying to be a good person.

All religions teach there is something greater out there, and that essentally is religion. But religion is how we follow things etc. I mean you can be a theist and not follow a religion, as long as you believe in something out there.
RE: Your Views: Religion by Rubber Stamp on 07-22-2006 at 04:40 PM

anyone heard the story where a barber asks a man why people suffered if there was God. and the man reacts by showing him a man who badly needed a shave and haircut and asks the barber why the man on the street was in such a condition when there was the barber. the barber replied by saying that if people didnt grow hair and beard, then they wont come to the barber in the first place. thats the same case with God. if people are always happy and have everything, why will they turn to God in the first place. people start praying only when they are in grave danger, only when they really need God.

RE: Your Views: Religion by Tasha on 07-22-2006 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
quote:

How would that be a challenge, how would we feel jealously? Hey everyone who has had everything and been a horrible person may suffer for eternity whereas you will be happy for eternity.

I mean, why are some people in poverty, and others not? Why don't we all get an equal chance to have it all and have nothing? Why do those people get more of a challenge in life than others?
RE: Your Views: Religion by absorbation on 07-22-2006 at 05:04 PM

quote:
I mean, why are some people in poverty, and others not? Why don't we all get an equal chance to have it all and have nothing? Why do those people get more of a challenge in life than others?

I don't know, I'm not God :tongue:.
RE: RE: Your Views: Religion by Rubber Stamp on 07-22-2006 at 05:30 PM

quote:

maybe because some people work very very hard to achieve success.
RE: Your Views: Religion by ayjay on 07-22-2006 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
maybe because some people work very very hard to achieve success.

People in the poorest parts of Africa work a hell of a lot harder than, I'm sure, most of the people on here yet they unarguably have a far worse quality of life.
RE: Your Views: Religion by Mentality on 07-22-2006 at 06:31 PM

Causes more harm than good these days. But people are entitled to their beliefs who are we to judge, if you don't believe in religion like me, you are only gonna have one opinion on it really (It's crap).

My belief about religion though is that it is just an old "tool" used to keep control over people, it gave them something to look forward to if they followed the commandments, and something to fear if they didn't. and because it was so powerful (in those times) it worked. Now people need more fact and arnt as stupid, so they will break the rules, and most dont really believe in it anyway.

More and more people are now turning away for religion. because (Excuse the pun/cliché) They have seen the light :P

RE: Your Views: Religion by Negro_Joe on 07-22-2006 at 07:08 PM

I don’t believe in God, and i think religion is pointless. At one time or another religion was "invented" it wasn’t born out of nothing, so how can something invented be based upon fact. Different religions have come and gone and others have changed vastly over time so how can this be all based on the same god, it just doesn’t seem to make sense. Religion is full of contradictions and i think the world would be a better place without it. Terrorists use bombs and murders as acts of religion. These people have taken something, a rule, or teaching and completely warped it to suit their own means there is nothing religious about it. Religion is a cause for conflict and not much else.

RE: Your Views: Religion by Thor on 07-22-2006 at 07:40 PM

To say it short: I'm not a christian, jew, etc....
I simply don't believe in any god, I believe in facts and (err, something that aren't really proved) the big bang. I still believe in spirits, ghost, haunted stuff. :)

RE: Your Views: Religion by ayjay on 07-22-2006 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrolinken
I believe in facts

The scientific history of the universe isn't fact. It's mainly unprovable theory.

quote:
the big bang

Christian (and other religions) teaching is that (IF there was a big bang), it was caused by God. They don't actually believe that he just said "let there be light" etc :P
RE: Your Views: Religion by Supersonicdarky on 07-22-2006 at 08:18 PM

this is where i might turn racist...

i'm quite sick of religeons since they only exist so the "church" or government could control the people. And as Nitrolinken said, i believe in facts. I'm quite a scientific person and no one can make me believe the gibberish. Sometimes when i watch tv with people who know i despise religions, turn the channel to one of the religious ones and hide the remote. It usually drives me mad until i realise there's and off switch on the tv

satanists ftw! :P

RE: Your Views: Religion by Thor on 07-22-2006 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
quote:
I believe in facts

(1.)The scientific history of the universe isn't fact. It's mainly unprovable theory.

quote:
the big bang
(2.)
Christian (and other religions) teaching is that (IF there was a big bang), it was caused by God. They don't actually believe that he just said "let there be light" etc :P
(2.)No, I believe in the scientificly (errr, spelling you know) Big Bang. Actually it was called the Big Bang by a man who meant the theory was insane/impossible. But it actually became the most regular term for it. :)

(1.) Yes, but you get my point,  (I don't mean "God did that" theory) but the more possible (well, I'm not gonna discus the possibility for the big bang :P) facts, the one that doesn't have any special connection with, Jesus, God, etc. :)
RE: Your Views: Religion by linx05 on 07-22-2006 at 10:24 PM

I don't believe in God and I don't believe in religion. I think people who do are simple minded sheep who need to wake up.

I use to be like Sunshine etc, having respect for other peoples beliefs, but after a few years I just can't anymore. I see more and more bad things happen to people who believe in this thing. Quite frankly, the world would be much better off without this.

I use to drive a mormon to Tafe each day and back. That was until he imposed his beliefs on me and called my girlfriend a slut (here that girls, don't wear short shorts because you're a slut if you do). We were having a big fight on the last day I drove him, he got personal with me so I got personal with him. He couldn't prove to me that God was real, it is all built up on a belief structure. I mean, I have a tiny leprechaun sitting on my shoulder named Bob. Who are you to say it isn't real? You must believe! Then you can talk to my friend Bob :).

RE: Your Views: Religion by Thor on 07-22-2006 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
I mean, I have a tiny leprechaun sitting on my shoulder named Bob. Who are you to say it isn't real? You must believe! Then you can talk to my friend Bob (Smilie).
Yup, I agree, it's about what you believe, no one can say that it isn't there. :)
RE: Your Views: Religion by bergy on 07-22-2006 at 10:46 PM

this is an argument i came up with that seems to disprove God's existence... see what you think

assumption: the term "God" implies said being is omnipotent

can god create a puzzle so hard he cannot complete it?

if YES - causes a problem, there is something he cannot do - therefore he is not truly omnipotent, and is therefore not God

if NO - same as above, if he Cannot create this there is something he can't do, ergo he is not omnipotent and not God

summary - omnipotence causes an unresolvable paradox, therefore omnipotence is not logically possible - hence, God CANNOT exist

RE: Your Views: Religion by Grue on 07-23-2006 at 12:49 AM

Note: This is a long post and I am not trying to preach to anyone or start any argument or anything. I am just posting my opinions and beliefs about religion and all of your thoughts about religion.

Do you believe there is a god/s?
I do believe that there is a god. I am an active member of a Christian church. Which church? It doesn’t matter.
I think that some are bad and just provide a way for control and violence etc. but I believe that most are good and are the opposite of this.
have some Religions gone to far with some of there  rules?
Absolutely…..
Are you religous?
Yup
Do you think religion causes to much violence?
Some do most don’t.
I do not believe that there is any way that the human body and all that has been created on this earth could have happened by accident.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I don't think there is a god. People use god to explain why we are here, however, if you explain that we are here because another sentient being created us, it just brings the question of how did that being come to exist. And I think most religions conviniently ignore that.

The religion that I am part of has an answer to this question, but I am not going to get into all of the doctrine; we don’t just ignore this question.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
Yer i agree, if there is a god why does he/she/it let all this crap go on in the world like wars, fighting, poverty ect.
Well I believe that we are all here to be tested. People are tested in many different ways and in different degrees, physically tested, mentally tested etc. We all go through difficult times in our live and we are here to be tested with these hardships and tested whether we will sin and do bad stuff because of hard times.

quote:

We are not equal to god…… if we were than we would be omnipotent too…

quote:
The most common argument I hear to answer this is "free will". Apparently, any harm that befalls a human being is their own choice. I suppose it is in basic logic, but that makes "God" out to be a pretty crappy guy if he created viruses etc. (And ffs please don't say hackers made viruses.)

Also, if we are created "in Gods image", how come we feel jealousy, hate, etc?

I believe that “in Gods image” means that we have a body and our body was created in the image of Gods body. However we are all different people with different personalities etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
i believe in God. and i am religious. but i dont believe that different religions are contrary to each other. ALL religion say the same things, teach the same principles. only power hungry and greedy people use religion religion as a tool to justify their wrong acts and deeds. being a hindu, i visit the temple. God is there, and religion is not bad, only the way some people have interpreted it is bad.

I do believe that religions are contrary to each other. Every religion does NOT say the same thing. There are many different religions that say many different things and also have different "gods". There are though, a lot of religions that portray similar messages.

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
Causes more harm than good these days. But people are entitled to their beliefs who are we to judge, if you don't believe in religion like me, you are only gonna have one opinion on it really (It's crap).

Some religions do cause harm these days but most do not. Don’t look at the Middle East and the car bombers that say they do it for god and judge all religions like that. Most religions are the exact opposite of that and promote service and humanitarian help etc. For example the LDS humanitarian Services provided 185,000 lbs of medical aid to victims of the earthquake in Indonesia, not to mention aid to the Asia tsunami, Hurricanes etc. So I do believe that even if you do not believe in God you have to respect the aid some of these churches give to others in need.

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality

My belief about religion though is that it is just an old "tool" used to keep control over people, it gave them something to look forward to if they followed the commandments, and something to fear if they didn't. and because it was so powerful (in those times) it worked. Now people need more fact and arnt as stupid, so they will break the rules, and most dont really believe in it anyway.

More and more people are now turning away for religion. because (Excuse the pun/cliché) They have seen the light :P

I don’t agree at all that religion is a tool used to keep control over people. You act as if promoting the “commandments” is a bad thing. Oh and more and more people are not turning away from religion, most religions are growing.

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
Terrorists use bombs and murders as acts of religion. These people have taken something, a rule, or teaching and completely warped it to suit their own means there is nothing religious about it. Religion is a cause for conflict and not much else.
Yes I agree with this except again don’t look at the terrorists and think that all religions are like this. I don’t believe most religions are a bad thing with the doctrine they teach and the service and aid that they provide. SOME religions are a cause for major conflict but most are not....
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
this is where i might turn racist...
i'm quite sick of religeons since they only exist so the "church" or government could control the people. And as Nitrolinken said, i believe in facts. I'm quite a scientific person and no one can make me believe the gibberish. Sometimes when i watch tv with people who know i despise religions, turn the channel to one of the religious ones and hide the remote. It usually drives me mad until i realise there's and off switch on the tv

satanists ftw! :P
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
I don't believe in God and I don't believe in religion. I think people who do are simple minded sheep who need to wake up.

I use to be like Sunshine etc, having respect for other peoples beliefs, but after a few years I just can't anymore. I see more and more bad things happen to people who believe in this thing. Quite frankly, the world would be much better off without this.

I use to drive a mormon to Tafe each day and back. That was until he imposed his beliefs on me and called my girlfriend a slut (here that girls, don't wear short shorts because you're a slut if you do). We were having a big fight on the last day I drove him, he got personal with me so I got personal with him. He couldn't prove to me that God was real, it is all built up on a belief structure. I mean, I have a tiny leprechaun sitting on my shoulder named Bob. Who are you to say it isn't real? You must believe! Then you can talk to my friend Bob :).

Once again you guys can’t judge an entire religion by one person and you can’t judge all religions by one religion or one person. People make mistakes, nobody is perfect. You just don’t see all the good and aid that religions provide to people. I respect everyone’s belief but I just don’t see how this world would be a better place without religion. As I said even if you don't believe in a god you have to respect the service and aid many of them provide to others.

RE: Your Views: Religion by lrac522 on 07-23-2006 at 03:06 AM

I do believe that there is a God but there are a lot of things that confuses me. They said that God created Adam and Eve and they were the two first people on earth, I would like to know what race they were. Lets assume that they were Caucasians, how do we end up with so many different race eg. Blacks, Chinese, Caucasians, Indians and many other? Are they considered the royal family? At this stage I try to do good things and try not to mix-up my brain with all these issues. Hi all...!

RE: Your Views: Religion by DeathzLord on 07-23-2006 at 04:31 AM

I'm a Druïd Necromist. I believe in the ghosts and the 3 wya's to die: Heaven (the 1st Gate), Hell (the second Heaven), Necromentis (Also known as Atlantis).

as we see the religions: Juwish & christians are 1, Muslims and satanists are 1, gothics + mediums + necromancers + boedists are 1

RE: Your Views: Religion by DJeX on 07-24-2006 at 03:49 AM

I do believe in God. I am a Christian. I'd have to say yes I am quite religious.

I'd like to ask a question to everyone relating to there beliefs. What is your view on the end of the world? Obviously I have my thoughts but I'm curious what others think. and if you do think there will be an end when do you think it will be?

RE: Your Views: Religion by qgroessl on 07-24-2006 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I'd like to ask a question to everyone relating to there beliefs. What is your view on the end of the world? Obviously I have my thoughts but I'm curious what others think. and if you do think there will be an end when do you think it will be?

Should make a different thread for that really... but ah, here goes...

It's either going to end from some huge world war with a lot of nukes and bombs and shit... or the suns going to blow up... that'll be the end of the world (if by world you mean the common useage like earth)... If you mean like humanity... I'm thinking some sort of space-war after the entire earth is completely gone.

RE: Your Views: Religion by Hank on 07-24-2006 at 04:17 AM

i saught of believe in God but don't, , but if there really was a God, i don't think he'd have people suffering from Cancer etc

RE: Your Views: Religion by user27089 on 07-25-2006 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
I don’t believe in God, and i think religion is pointless. At one time or another religion was "invented" it wasn’t born out of nothing, so how can something invented be based upon fact. Different religions have come and gone and others have changed vastly over time so how can this be all based on the same god, it just doesn’t seem to make sense. Religion is full of contradictions and i think the world would be a better place without it. Terrorists use bombs and murders as acts of religion. These people have taken something, a rule, or teaching and completely warped it to suit their own means there is nothing religious about it. Religion is a cause for conflict and not much else.

I've been thinking a bit over the weekend and I don't think religion is such a bad thing after-all.

It's only extremists that use their religion as an excuse to bring harm upon others, and that's a select few. Religion has always been there, people have always worshipped something that may or may not be there, even if it isn't there. At least it gives people comfort when they die, somebody to pray to when they lose somebody close to... or even hope when they're in a time of need (poverty, hunger etc.)

I don't believe that Jesus Christ was a miracle worker, I believe he was a good man and that's it, somebody who people can look up to as an example. His stories were definitely exaggerated (As they weren't literally written by his disciples, they were written hundreds of years later by people who had heard the stories off of people who heard it off of another person, and so on and so forth.)

The people who are terrorists have a warped religion, but like I said earlier that is a select few. Not all muslims are terrorists. They may have some beliefs that are different to our own, but they're just themselves and we should let them be, as long as they don't harm others in their path.

You can't say that religion is only a cause for conflict either, think of the people who don't have anyone in the world at the moment, other than "god". They go to church every week thinking they get a place into heaven because it comforts them, makes them feel good. Religion even sets examples for people and what they do, the way they should treat situations and respect other people.

What would the world be like without religion? I don't think it would be any better than it is now, chances are that it would be a lot worse, as who would we have to look up to? Everybody living in the world today has problems, stuff that isn't a good example for children, whereas if somebody taught their children the way that Jesus lived and how good he treated people, it's a perfect example of how people should be.

I'm not a religion person at all, I don't go to Church and I don't believe that there is a God. I do, however, respect other peoples choices and understand that religion isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't believe that Jesus was a miracle worker, or that he was the son of god... The divine birth etc. was all just exaggerations of peoples stories around a camp-fire. Jesus was just a normal man who was a great example for others.