Shoutbox

WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) (/showthread.php?tid=63831)

WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 07-23-2006 at 06:36 AM

That's the name for the next generation of the Aero based skin that Willz and I worked on for 7.5 (Aero MSN). Only this time we are going live :p. It'll take a LONG time to finish, this is just a post to say that we have "started" a proof of concept, to see if what we thing is actually plausible. Expect some kind of patch very soon, to show you guys some cool things.

Again, to reiterate, Willz and I have started work on a skin for Windows Live Messenger for the build 8.0.0792.00.

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by MX-G on 07-23-2006 at 06:45 AM

Nice :p, gonna try in other computer :P, thnks

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Chestah on 07-23-2006 at 06:48 AM

It looks good! But i hope you aren't calling it "Aero" to associate it with the Windows Vista GUI because it looks nothing like Aero :P.

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 07-23-2006 at 06:51 AM

ok, the link was for the older version of aero msn (it was for 7.5), the new one is really quite impressive, and if you see it, you'd agree with me, and really, you'll find it very close to aero.

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 07-23-2006 at 07:01 AM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=700669]

see anything diff about the cl?
:p
and no its not done though monkey's method.

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by MattyRid on 07-23-2006 at 07:14 AM

I do note that the status icons are very different from what I am used to. Will there be anything else to go along with that?

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ShawnZ on 07-23-2006 at 07:39 AM

isn't Aero..... transparent?

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Eljay on 07-23-2006 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

isnt that... aero glass? :P
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Chestah on 07-23-2006 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:

Correct and you can't really make an aero glass skin.
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ShawnZ on 07-23-2006 at 08:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:

Correct and you can't really make an aero glass skin.

sure you can with dwmapi
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Chestah on 07-23-2006 at 09:22 AM

quote:
sure you can with dwmapi

well yeah of course you can in Vista..

I'm talking about older OSes :P
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Mentality on 07-26-2006 at 03:19 PM

What does it do if I may ask, I wouldn't like to just download and replace it without knowing what it does anyway.

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Zahid™ on 07-26-2006 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
What does it do if I may ask, I wouldn't like to just download and replace it without knowing what it does anyway.
I think only skinners wil know how to use it, can't wait for the skin.
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by elektra on 07-26-2006 at 04:00 PM

is that a skin or a new software? and that looks mence 4 windows vista? and xp

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ShawnZ on 07-26-2006 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality

it seems to replace the icon for online people in the contact list...
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 07-26-2006 at 09:58 PM

It does something else along with that, change the colour of your contact list, and you shall see ;)

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by vaccination on 07-26-2006 at 10:00 PM

Changes the colour of the online buddy to match?

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Nagamasa on 07-27-2006 at 12:12 AM

quote:

it seems to replace the icon for online people in the contact list...

It seems they are shrugging or are hunchbacks.
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 07-27-2006 at 12:47 AM

both :P, but thats not the point -_-, try what I told people to

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Here is something for the more techy group, it's nothing really, but I got bored and thought of the idea, and it worked.

Open msgsres.dll, go into the 4000 Resource Folder and replace resource 1111 with this one.

http://mad-skinning.be/1111.rle

Note: I am not responsible for any damages that may occur when you do this, and note that editing messenger's resources voids the EULA.

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by tony on 07-27-2006 at 01:28 AM

what's the resource language to replace?

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 07-27-2006 at 01:29 AM

doesn't matter, make it neutral though "0"

thanks to steve for catching my error of calling 1033 as neutral :$

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Eddie on 07-27-2006 at 10:57 AM

Cool :) Sounds good :) I used the Aero Skin for 7.5 a few times so im sure this will be better :)

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by elektra on 07-27-2006 at 05:57 PM

wow but will it be 4 vista only

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Zahid™ on 07-27-2006 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by penguindude

No.
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ShawnZ on 07-27-2006 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by penguindude

why would it be for vista only?
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by John Anderton on 07-27-2006 at 07:27 PM

We've been hearing and seeing pics since the beta test .... stop teasing us and release something will you :'(

quote:
Here is something for the more techy group, it's nothing really, but I got bored and thought of the idea, and it worked.

Open msgsres.dll, go into the 4000 Resource Folder and replace resource 1111 with this one.

http://mad-skinning.be/1111.rle

Note: I am not responsible for any damages that may occur when you do this, and note that editing messenger's resources voids the EULA.
File doesnt exist anymore :sad:
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by 4penguino on 07-29-2006 at 07:11 PM

when is that gonna be out

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Willz on 07-30-2006 at 08:15 AM

Hello everyone just thought I'd show you guys the progress of WAM. Ok to answer the question when will it be out..... well we have no clue, this skin is going to be massive in terms of what it offers. Its going to be all about customisation. Basicly it will be done when its done :P

Also Aero does not just refer to transparency effects in vista, Aero includes the basic look which does not have all the nifty effects. Even though our skin wont have those cool transparenct effects like vista we chose WAM because of that and the name of the 7.5 version (AeroWLM woulda sounded bad too i guess). Anyway here is what the chat window is looking like. Please note that this is nowhere near final but most of the things have been sorted out. Any comments welcome. :)

[Image: wambm6.png]

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by 4penguino on 07-30-2006 at 09:44 AM

WOW cant wait til its out gonna be brill..wats the cl gonna be like (contactlist) but anyways does it have more option to customize and is mpL! sutible for it?

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Eddie on 07-30-2006 at 11:52 AM

Looks Awesome :D Cant wait for it :)

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 07-30-2006 at 07:39 PM

Glad to know that you guys like it, the installer for this skin is going to be a pain in the ass to code :P. We are also going to be releasing a "custom" version for memskin (although, don't hold me to that :P). So look out for that.

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by alexp2_ad on 07-30-2006 at 08:04 PM

Looking pretty awesome, might be a skin I'll actually use for more than 5 minutes. :o

I'll have to add a theme to msig for it when it's done. :)

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Thor on 07-30-2006 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Glad to know that you guys like it, the installer for this skin is going to be a pain in the ass to code :P. We are also going to be releasing a "custom" version for memskin (although, don't hold me to that :P). So look out for that.

Yeah, but it really looks nice! :)

I can't wait (Y)
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by John Anderton on 07-31-2006 at 12:42 PM

Ive been hearing about this for ages ... release the damn thing already :'(

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Willz on 07-31-2006 at 12:50 PM

Hearing about it ages ago?? Lol we only annouced we were making Windows Aero Messenger last week...... anyway skinning takes a lot of time and with what we have planned believe me it is a TON of work. Besides we wanna get this thing right the first time and not rush, you wouldnt want a dodgy skin now would ya? :P

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Oxy on 08-02-2006 at 06:33 PM

Right so is there a release date for the skin of aero for wlm?

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Zahid™ on 08-02-2006 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by luke-fish
Right so is there a release date for the skin of aero for wlm?
No.
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Ok to answer the question when will it be out..... well we have no clue

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Jimbo on 09-16-2006 at 04:17 PM

i can't wait till this comes out. hope its before the end of september

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ForestPlus! on 09-16-2006 at 04:55 PM

I hope it's before the end of my life :P

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by John Anderton on 09-17-2006 at 05:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Hearing about it ages ago?? Lol we only annouced we were making Windows Aero Messenger last week
Hehe, i did hear it ages ago. Mabbe in a chat with ipab or on the beta testing chats (i think both 8-))
Thats why i said ive been hearing about it for ages ;)
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ryxdp on 09-17-2006 at 08:10 AM

looks great! I'll have to switch between the Vista Live Messenger skin and this one when it comes out!

(Y)(Y)

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by John Anderton on 11-15-2006 at 05:45 AM

So, is this ever actually going to come out or should we keep dreaming about this skin till eternity? :sad:

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 11-15-2006 at 07:23 AM

Oh JA, sadly it will continue on in your dreams :(.

quote:
Originally posted by ipab on the mess.be forums
Aero was in the works, but both of us decided that after Stian and blue eyes released their skin, we will not tread on the same path. We wanted to do something different. Now, I have to talk to will and ask him if he wants to do this one solo or if he wants both of us to do it, but rest assured that both of us have a few tricks up our sleeves.

As for Aero, perhaps I will be bored one day and polish up the skin that is sitting on my computer.

quote:
Originally posted by willz on the mess.be forums

Ill just explain whats going on with WAM,

When AeroMSN was released I made some attempts to try and get to a WLM version of the skin as fast as possible, of course university got in the way and yeh hardly gave me any time to get something happening. Once ipab and myself finally got some time we sat down and worked on WAM for a few days. There were very few people that knew that we were working on WAM at that point.

Later on in the week I was talking to Stian on the net where he showed me that he had teamed up with blue eyes and that they had started working on a skin. At this point we still decided to go ahead with the skin. Once again university and other commitments got in the way and time dragged on.

It has now got to the point where Stian and blue eyes have a functional version of their skin out. I know that the skin we had planned is completely different to theirs, but it feels rather empty to go on and finish WAM at this point. Because:

1: Stian and blue_eyes have done such a great job on their skin
2: Who knows what MS will do..... they might in the end make a WLM for Vista only that does use the true Aero look.
3: I'm kinda bored of the vista look right now

My main reason for not working on it is basically that it does not really show the world the kind of design and graphic creation skills that I want to show. By that I mean that all we are doing is recreating a style that already exists and remaking it. It sort of feels like an empty cause for me.

These days all that I really see coming out of the skinning world is a Mac, Vista or even a Gnome styled skin of some sort. I really don't want something that i make to be "just another one of those vista skins". So yeh Ive decided to make something original and see where that takes me.

Is Windows Aero Messenger dead?

No, I still have the full design, resources and UIfile code that we made as does ipab. Perhaps after I finish this project we will pickup the pieces that we have of WAM beta and piece together what we had originally dreamed of. Until then just use Stian's skin :)

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by John Anderton on 11-15-2006 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Oh JA, sadly it will continue on in your dreams :(.
Too bad ipab, too bad. Since you guys talked about Stian's skin, ill give it a try, but i still wanted to have a look at WAM :( No installer would have been fine for me :P
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by ipab on 11-15-2006 at 09:53 AM

I'll finish it just for you then :P, let's call it JA's skin. Seriously, I'm not joking, when I find time, I'll finish it just for you :).

RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by John Anderton on 11-15-2006 at 11:36 AM

quote:
I'll finish it just for you then :P, let's call it JA's skin. Seriously, I'm not joking, when I find time, I'll finish it just for you :).
Yay :banana:
<3
Did one search for the Stian's skin, didnt find it. I gave up :P Anyway, i cant wait for WAM :cheesy: ty ipab :grin:
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by Felu on 11-15-2006 at 01:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Did one search for the Stian's skin, didnt find it.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/39255778 [Image: msn_tongue.gif].
RE: WAM (Windows Aero Messenger) by John Anderton on 11-15-2006 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
Please don't double post. Nice skin though.
Double post? Bleh the thread is old. You could have just reported it for merger :dodgy: