Shoutbox

What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? (/showthread.php?tid=63873)

What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? by ShawnZ on 07-24-2006 at 02:19 AM

then you'd have reactOS.

[Image: app_vs200529oe_01.jpg]

its a community project. its amazing, it installs in about 30 seconds and starts in about 5.

RE: What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? by RaceProUK on 07-24-2006 at 08:53 AM

Does it suffer from the same security issues too?

RE: What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? by Hank on 07-24-2006 at 08:59 AM

unplug ya PC from the wall if ya paranoid about security

RE: What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? by ~INVASION~ on 07-24-2006 at 08:59 AM

i think i remember a thread about this a while back, looks pretty neat (Y)

RE: What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? by CookieRevised on 07-24-2006 at 09:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Does it suffer from the same security issues too?
Probably not (as much) seeing it is waaaaaay far from containing all the code needed to properly run any Windows program (yes I know it is in alpha stage, but still).

It may provide support for basic and some less basic stuff, but I don't see how this can support any tidbit there is regarding Windows API's and stuff and other deep level stuff. As such it will not contain the errors associated with those.

All I think of this is that it is a nice experiment and stuff, but it will never be able to totally replace Windows. I rather want to think of this as an emulator; it can run some basic Windows programs provided those programs use only the supported API's and stuff.
RE: What if windows were open source, free, and recoded from the ground up? by Max on 07-24-2006 at 09:12 PM

I've been using ReactOS for about a year (not everyday but a few times a week) it is really good. :)