Shoutbox

IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem (/showthread.php?tid=64022)

IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by alecfinet on 07-26-2006 at 08:46 AM

I have just installed IE7 Beta3 and I no more have any application in my "start menu"..all gone but IE and "accessories"!
any clue on how to restore the initial Start menu ?
any help appreciated

RE: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by alecfinet on 07-26-2006 at 11:03 AM

ya..this is the last thing I wanted to do. I was hoping a quick fix...

RE: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by RaceProUK on 07-26-2006 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jexel
perhaps try doing a system restore back to when you didn't have it installed...backup your start menu shortcuts under documents and settings/username/startmenu and then reinstall ie7 and then replace it back [Image: msn_happy.gif]
That's one hell of an over-reaction! System Restore won't even help at all, you know. In future, don't post stupid suggestions.

To see if all your shortcuts have actually gone, take a look in "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Start Menu\Programs" and also "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs"
RE: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by alecfinet on 07-27-2006 at 08:59 AM

unfortunatlly the Start Menus directories don't contain much(IE, media, oe !). The programms are still there however (I have check with the add/install function). is the only solution now to create by hand one by one all shortcuts?

RE: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by RaceProUK on 07-27-2006 at 09:20 AM

Sounds like it. It won't take as long as you think either.

RE: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by Chestah on 07-27-2006 at 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jexel
perhaps try doing a system restore back to when you didn't have it installed...backup your start menu shortcuts under documents and settings/username/startmenu and then reinstall ie7 and then replace it back :)

Just for future reference:

quote:
Originally posted by Windows Help
System Restore is not intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged. You should still back up your personal files and important data on a regular basis using a backup program.

RE: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by alecfinet on 07-27-2006 at 09:32 AM

thanks Chestah for the reminder.
my mistake : I didn't except an MS application (even a Beta3) to do such a mess.
altought I know well how to save personal data but I have difficulties to save all Settings. do you know any application that can do that?...without saving the whole disk?

RE: IE7 Beta3 Start menu problem by Adeptus on 07-27-2006 at 02:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alecfinet
I have difficulties to save all Settings. do you know any application that can do that?...without saving the whole disk?
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard does a decent job at that.  Although it was meant for switching computers, nothing prevents you from restoring the backup it creates to the same computer rather than a new one.

However, I think loss of start menu, like happened to you, is extremely rare.