Shoutbox

Q6 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Q6 (/showthread.php?tid=64140)

Q6 by CanadianGirl on 07-28-2006 at 01:05 PM

Anyone else participating in the Canadian Q6 this year?

Why was this post moved from the "talk about anything msn" forums? ... Q6 is a game hosted by microsoft via msn live messenger, it could not be more relevant?

http://q6trivia.imagine-live.com/landing.aspx?locale=en-ca&gid=1005&

RE: Q6 by Lou on 07-31-2006 at 03:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CanadianGirl
msn live messenger
Windows live Messenger
quote:
Why was this post moved from the "talk about anything msn"
Because this is not to talk about it, but to talk about who is participating in it. It's perfect for general chit chat

I am participating with a group of beta testers:)
RE: Q6 by ~INVASION~ on 07-31-2006 at 03:57 AM

im in, 12th place :D

RE: Q6 by vaccination on 07-31-2006 at 02:23 PM

:O i wana play, i need a team :(

Any one want me? (a) :P

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 07-31-2006 at 03:43 PM

Have you all be getting endless internal server errors when you try to submit the answer as well?

RE: Q6 by ~INVASION~ on 08-01-2006 at 02:00 AM

yea, it's very annoying

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-01-2006 at 02:50 AM

it's worst now though, because there's a message that they're awarding full points for the first two weeks, which means people in the lead will no longer be in the lead at all regardless of their perseverance to get through the errors, might as well have waited until Sunday night. 

Not to mention that the team question this week was totaly bogus, apparently soccer is not the game played at the world cup?

This is probably the worst marketing effort in history. ... Or the best anti marketing, whatever way you want to see it.

RE: Q6 by Lou on 08-01-2006 at 03:38 AM

quote:
This is probably the worst marketing effort in history.
Actually, this turned out really well in the past. Soccer was probably incorect, and football was probably correct imo. And the server errors are due to high load :undecided:
RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-01-2006 at 04:19 AM

Actualy, one of my sister's friend was getting really agrivated with the game doing all the server errors after he'd been trying to put soccer in for an hour and a half and ended up putting fifa world cup as joke to see it be wrong as soon as he'd try something different, and getting it right, or so I hear..

Mostly what I know is that we got it wrong putting in soccer and that in my opinion the world cup isn't a game, it's a competition where soccer is played.

RE: Q6 by Lou on 08-01-2006 at 04:42 AM

quote:
soccer
Likewise, FIFA is not just a game.
quote:
Google wrote on their wonderful website:
World governing body of soccer; founded in 1904; acronym stands for Federation Internationale de Football Association;

RE: Q6 by vaccination on 08-01-2006 at 08:20 AM

Wouldn't it be football though, seeming as that's what we call it here. :undecided:

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-01-2006 at 02:38 PM

Well Soccer's the north american accepted term for football, seeing as football describes an entirely different game already.

At any rate,

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0606/feature1/index.html

this is the only website i found that if sort of thought of that way could confirm the world cup as a game.  But again, it states "The beautiful game, why soccer rules the world.

But seeing as the question stated : In 2002 Korea and Japan hosted this beautiful game.  In 2006, Germany is the host, name the game. ...It woudln't make sense that it's asking for the competition.  It'd be like saying that a hockey player plays the stanley cup instead of saying that a hockey player plays hockey in order to win the stanley cup. ... Or even worst, that Olympians play medals, and not the games participating in the Olympics to win their medals.

I don't know, this Q6 thing is making me feel midly stupid hehe :)

RE: Q6 by Curtis on 08-01-2006 at 08:06 PM

Anyone want to be on my team?  We got 2 spots open.

RE: Q6 by vaccination on 08-01-2006 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Curtis
Anyone want to be on my team?  We got 2 spots open.

Me.

EDIT: Please (A)
RE: Q6 by Schenky on 08-05-2006 at 12:26 AM

We too got those annoying internal server errors each week. We are to get full points for the first 2 wks, but still haven't seen that. Very poor marketing, I agree. Week three was not any better, so hopefully they will even that up too.
The soccer question sucked. That is the answer, it is a Canadian trivia game asking. Also that is what it is called.
Very frustrating. Don't know why we bother, but it's all about the game!

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-05-2006 at 04:16 AM

Agreed,  one of my teammates got a very simple question wrong last week too.  That turned out to be more frustrating than the actual answer seeming to be wrong.

RE: Q6 by Schenky on 08-05-2006 at 01:02 PM

Spelling counts too, which is very odd in these days of email shortcuts. Caffeine spelled wrong, I guess, unless that was actually the wrong answer.

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-09-2006 at 04:24 AM

that's weird

RE: Q6 by ShawnZ on 08-09-2006 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou

I am participating with a group of beta testers

i'm a step-beta-tester :p
RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-21-2006 at 08:11 PM

SO... I went ahead and contacted MSN in regards to soccer not being accepted for the question :

In 2002 Korea and Japan hosted this beautiful game.  In 2006, Germany is the host, name the game

and according to them, in a really rude email,(N Soccer is a sport and the world cup is a game, despite many references stating that a sport is a game and that the world cup is  a tournement ... So needless to say that promotions like this are not worth wasting your time for ^_^ (N)

All and all though, i'm glad its over, it was getting a bit annoying to have to be home on thursday evenings.

How did the rest of you do in rankings?

RE: Q6 by Lourix on 08-21-2006 at 08:36 PM

I would love to but I live in Spain. :)

RE: Q6 by Schenky on 08-22-2006 at 11:34 PM

Q6 sux,
one team member still can't answer her question cause of internal server error.
Also, I wish that the correct answers would have been posted. Does anyone know, if the answer The OC and The Simple Life was the actual answer or did we miss something?
We are in the top 100, but it still sux.
Doubt if we will play another one of these, Too frustrating and time consuming.

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-23-2006 at 07:15 AM

yeah, I totally agree, we put the simple life as well and got it wrong.. What other reality tv show features two friends that go to arkensa and then accross the states the following season?

RE: Q6 by RaceProUK on 08-23-2006 at 11:41 AM

quote:
Soccer is a sport and the world cup is a game, despite many references stating that a sport is a game and that the world cup is  a tournement
'Soccer', or football as it's actually called, is indeed a sport. However, the World Cup is definately a tournament.
Technically, there's no such thing as 'game' when it's football: the correct term is match, as in 'a football match'.
RE: Q6 by ShawnZ on 08-23-2006 at 11:42 AM

quote:
yeah, I totally agree, we put the simple life as well and got it wrong.. What other reality tv show features two friends that go to arkensa and then accross the states the following season?

I got that question too... i put The Simple Life, wrong. For one question, i put "The OC" but apparently it needed the .s to be right... lame thing.
RE: Q6 by Schenky on 08-23-2006 at 11:22 PM

We answered The OC. It should have been The OC's?
oh well, it still is irritating.

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-24-2006 at 02:14 AM

(N)  I still think that when it's a grey area like that they should accept more than one answer in a contest like this, or let you debate your answers at least .. I posted dictionary definitions in my answer back though, we'll see if they answer to that in four weeks :D

-- as per the dictionary.com definitions:

socˇcer   ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (skr)
n.
A game played on a rectangular field with net goals at either end in which two teams of 11 players each try to drive a ball into the other's goal by kicking, heading, or using any part of the body except the arms and hands. The goalie is the only player who may touch or move the ball with the arms or hands

World Cup
n.

A soccer tournament held every four years in which qualifying national teams compete to determine a world champion.
The championship awarded to the winner of this tournament.

FIFA

Fédération Internationale de Football Association (International Federation of Football Association; Zurich, Switzerland)

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-24-2006 at 02:17 AM

We put The O.C. with the dots and got that one right.  So really it looks like it wasn't the s that was missing, still very frustrating though.

By the way, does anyone know what they mean by awarding full points for the first three weeks?  I was having a discussion about it with someone and they had interpreted it as the full points as though not having had gotten a question wrong.  I was thinking it was more along the lines of not having had gotten a time penalty.

"Attention all Q6 Players:

We apologize for the server problems you may have experienced. To thank you for your patience and continued participation, we will be awarding full points to all teams for Week 1, 2 and 3. 
"

RE: Q6 by dylan! on 08-24-2006 at 04:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

I got that question too... i put The Simple Life, wrong. For one question, i put "The OC" but apparently it needed the .s to be right... lame thing.

I put the same answer and it was wrong.. made me pissed... I'm in a group with ~INVASION~ and a bunch of other butterly's... I'm the only non-butterly:(
RE: Q6 by Schenky on 08-24-2006 at 10:28 PM

Oh I see, you had to have The O. C.
You're right, that is lame, but in the tv guides etc, it comes up as The OC
We never got full pts for the first 3 wks either.

RE: Q6 by CanadianGirl on 08-30-2006 at 05:17 PM

Yeah, for all we know the people who seem to be in first now may not be at all depending on the first weeks outcomes.. Because there's a few teams who were showing up in the top ten on sundays, which means they lost most of their points off of being late an not on getting questions wrong per say.