Shoutbox

Antivirus software - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Antivirus software (/showthread.php?tid=64150)

Antivirus software by qgroessl on 07-28-2006 at 02:31 PM

So my dad went and bought Norton Antivirus's SystemWorks Basic Edition, for like... 60 bucks... I was wondering if anybody else has it? and if they like it?.... I've been looking around and it looks like it would be pretty useful, but how well does it work. If he'd have paid more he could've had spyware protection and stuff. This one has like, One Button Checkup, System Restore, protects everything over the internet, emails, and checks up on the performance. It has a process viewer with the folder the process starts from, Disk optimizing, antivirus, and Norton Clean up... where it safely deletes things from your computer that you don't want permanantly so that you can't recover it, and does it so you can recover it if you do it a different way.

Just wondering if anybody else has this, their opinions on it... and if you think it's worth the money he paid for it.

RE: Antivirus software by RaceProUK on 07-28-2006 at 02:35 PM

AVG (scans files, downloads, email) > Norton
Spybot S&D (anti-spyware, shred files) > Norton
XP SP2 Firewall > Norton
XP System Restore > Norton
Process Viewer > Norton

I don't like Norton. I've seen it kill a PC.

RE: Antivirus software by foaly on 07-28-2006 at 02:37 PM

i totaly agree with RaceProUK

RE: Antivirus software by qgroessl on 07-28-2006 at 02:42 PM

That's what I figured actually... I don't like it either, but my dad doesn't know much of what he's doing... Bah... can't quite get our money back..

My dad actually thought he was just buying an antivirus software :p... Not a bunch of stuff that looks at the PC

One thing I do think will be kinda usefull is the Safe Mode feature on it... Not sure exactly what it does... but it gets the computer into a safe mode like if I restarted windows I think?

Ah, not I completely agree with you... I was going to check it out... but since neither of my hard drives have 3 GB of space on it I can't.

RE: Antivirus software by RaceProUK on 07-28-2006 at 02:44 PM

WIndows Bootloader Safe Mode > Norton Safe Mode

F8 ;)

RE: Antivirus software by kao on 07-28-2006 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
One thing I do think will be kinda usefull is the Safe Mode feature on it... Not sure exactly what it does.
Rofl.

Sorry =p

And yeah, i agree with others that Norton sucks. No antivirus > *

Use your brain and you can get along just fine with the odd adware scan here and there.
RE: Antivirus software by qgroessl on 07-29-2006 at 01:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
Rofl

:p well... I knew what it did... just wasn't sure if it would be like regular safemode by pressing F8 or if it was something else :p.. haha
RE: Antivirus software by Hank on 07-29-2006 at 01:33 AM

any Norton software is like pulling a semi trailer with a 2 wheel drive car, Slow as hell

RE: Antivirus software by Eddie on 07-29-2006 at 06:44 AM

I very much so dislike Norton, although im testing Norton 2007 it doesnt look much better than the others, although it is Beta it seems slightly faster...but im sticking with AVG Free and Windows Defender for now :) Ive also used TrendMicro in the past also which is pretty good :)

RE: Antivirus software by Menthix on 07-29-2006 at 09:48 AM

NOD32... Since Norton started to slow down my comp (2003 or 2004) I tried several anti virus programs. NOD32 may not be very well known by the masses, but it's one of the fastest scanners you can get with using a minimum of system recourses. It also is very accurate, picking up more viruses than Norton, McAfee and AVG.

RE: Antivirus software by ryxdp on 08-07-2006 at 10:03 AM

I'd suggest Bazooka by Kephyr. It's quite good, scans REALLY REALLY FAST! Although, cant find much, just a load of adware, some worms and a handful of trojans.

All the same, I use it on top of AVG Free, SpyBot S&D, Ad Aware, Windows Defender, MRT (XP Pro) and CWShredder.

Like the paranoid person I am :D

RE: Antivirus software by linx05 on 08-07-2006 at 10:13 AM

Bazooka is a anti-spyware/adware program ;).

RE: Antivirus software by ins4ne on 08-07-2006 at 10:33 AM

i use Avira AntiVir and its pretty good... really fast and detects a lot of viruses... and the best: the AntiVirŪ PersonalEdition Classic is for free :)