Shoutbox

Random PC crashes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Random PC crashes (/showthread.php?tid=64259)

Random PC crashes by Reaper on 07-30-2006 at 11:19 PM

In the past 3 days my PC decides to randomly stop responding. No devices work. The image on the monitor stays. I need to restart my PC to resolve it. I get no error messages or anything like that. I have scanned my PC with the anti stuff. I havn't changed anything in my computer hardware or software, so I don't know whats going on. Any ideas?

RE: Random PC crashes by YottabyteWizard on 07-31-2006 at 03:03 AM

CPU Heat sink or PSU heat sink with lot of dust?

RAM Memory is broken.

RE: Random PC crashes by Voldemort on 07-31-2006 at 03:30 AM

it sounds to me like overheating too, although im not an expert :p
buy a can of compressed air and spray your computer fans and heatsinks

RE: Random PC crashes by graky on 08-03-2006 at 01:02 PM

yeah, it might just be some dust "compressed air" will be ur best bet ... remember not to touch any of the components especicaly on the motherboard e.g CPU, PCI slots, chipsets etc etc..

RE: Random PC crashes by RaceProUK on 08-03-2006 at 01:57 PM

Where's the best place to get compressed air? I think my PC needs a blast or 15. And a hoover just doesn't work as well as you'd think.

RE: Random PC crashes by vaccination on 08-03-2006 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Where's the best place to get compressed air? I think my PC needs a blast or 15. And a hoover just doesn't work as well as you'd think.

Tell me about it, was about as useful as me trying to suck it up with my mouth. :@

RE: Random PC crashes by Reaper on 08-03-2006 at 05:36 PM

I'll try the compressed air, if I can be bothered to buy some. :P

RE: Random PC crashes by kao on 08-03-2006 at 06:51 PM

turn off restart on system failure, next time it happens, if you get a blue screen, google the stop error?

RE: Random PC crashes by Reaper on 08-03-2006 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kao
turn off restart on system failure, next time it happens, if you get a blue screen, google the stop error?
It doesn't restart automatically, I have to press the button to restart it. And no errors appear.
RE: Random PC crashes by Voldemort on 08-03-2006 at 07:54 PM

you should reallly open it up and see if its too dirty =/

RE: Random PC crashes by brian on 08-03-2006 at 07:55 PM

Try running MemTest86?

RE: Random PC crashes by Astynax on 08-04-2006 at 04:18 AM

full system lockup points towards either corrupted data in system memory, or a power drop....

overheating usually causes a crash to bsod, and in most cases so does corrupted memory.....

im leaning towards a bad psu....

RE: Random PC crashes by ryxdp on 08-07-2006 at 04:59 AM

Looks like you have a problem...

I agree with everyone else! A good airwhammin' with the old vacuum cleaner'd do you a fine job.

-=BUT=-

How old is your computer? Were some programs running when the computer froze, and is it always the same programs?

RE: Random PC crashes by vaccination on 08-07-2006 at 11:16 AM

Reaper it is most probably (if not definitely) overheating as mine has been restarting without warning lately after long periods of up-time and my case does not have very good circulation(also it has been very hot here lately), you could take off one of the sides of your case to help ventilation and if it is under a desk you could move it to a more open area. I would definitely buy some compressed air and get rid of as much dust as you can. And maybe look for a better fan or other cooling options such as water cooling.

Hope this helps.

RE: Random PC crashes by Reaper on 08-07-2006 at 08:55 PM

Ok. I cleaned out my computer and it has been happening a lot since I have done this and because of the whether. So overheating was the problem. It seems ok for now.
And Snaal, my computer is custom made and all components are 6 months old, maybe a bit more.

RE: Random PC crashes by Oxy on 08-08-2006 at 09:35 AM

Yes. I sometimes have this problem too... my PC hasn't been able to cope with the heat latley and i am mostly on it 24/7... i think it is to do with overheating. I will keep an eye on this thread incase anything else cums up i can do with mine!