Shoutbox

Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM) (/showthread.php?tid=64320)

Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM) by vasteel on 08-01-2006 at 12:07 PM

I noticed that if I open 5-6 conversations (or more) while tabbed chat enabled, the display speed of any program window is really slowed down.

(to be more specific : the display of any window gets jerked when I move it)

This happens with any program. (explorer, WLM...)

I tried to change a few parameters (transparency, logging...), but nothing changes. I also tried to change my Catalyst display driver from 6.5 to 6.6 : same thing happens.

Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Configuration : Windows XP SP2 english version, WLM 8.0.0792 english version, MP!L 4.01, A64 X2 4200+, ATI X800XL in dual monitor environment.

RE: Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM) by RaceProUK on 08-01-2006 at 01:06 PM

Tabs require resources, just like anything else. However, 5 or 6 shouldn't slow the PC down that much. You may want to run defragmenters and stuff, clean the PC somewhat.

RE: Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM) by zedison_c on 08-01-2006 at 03:29 PM

besides that from what i know of it might be your hardwares failing if after defragmentation it is still that lag.

RE: Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM) by vasteel on 08-01-2006 at 05:24 PM

Well, actually, my XP install is brand new, and this is not the hard drive that is having trouble (doesn't emit any specific rattling) : it really looks like a bug.

I still don't think this is a performance issue, though : running on a A64 X2 4200+ rig equipped with 2 GB of RAM and a 256 MB Radeon X800XT, I shouldn't be victim of a performance dropdown.
Moreover, I had an eye on the task manager : when this bug happens, my CPUs are at 15-20% (due to window moving/drawing, I suppose), and memory usage graph doesn't increase a bit.

To me, it seems 2D video acceleration is suffering from MP!L (or WLM) handles. But I'm not an expert concerning this kind of issues, I just noticed this didn't happen with MSN 7.5 + MP!3.

Maybe something due to my dual screen environment and/or the way WLM handles window drawing?

Any hint, anyone? :S

RE: Tabbed Chat - Too many tabs slows down display (WLM) by zedison_c on 08-23-2006 at 04:16 PM

it might be some error when you install your graphic card otherwise is due to your motherboard unable to support 2gb of ram and your graphic card.