Shoutbox

[Release] Online Chat Logger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] Online Chat Logger (/showthread.php?tid=64354)

[Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-02-2006 at 10:48 AM

Online Chat Logger creates chat logs of all of your conversations. It saves them to an XML file in the script directory. It then uploads this file to a specified FTP server, so you can view them when not at your computer. All of the chats are saved into the same file, but the chats are split. CSS can be used to format the logs, an example is included in the script file. The CSS must be saved as “chatstyle.css”.

I hope that you like this script, please leave any comments or suggestions for improvements on this thread.

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by mickael9 on 08-02-2006 at 04:48 PM

Do you now you have a TAB key on your keyboard ? :|

Edit : http://www.jcay.com/javascript-code-improver.html

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-02-2006 at 04:51 PM

I am sorry, but I don't know what you mean. What relevance does a tab key have?

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by mickael9 on 08-02-2006 at 05:00 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentation#Indentation_in_programming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indent_style

;)

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by absorbation on 08-02-2006 at 05:04 PM

Then again, it's his own work and people should not be using his code without his permission :P.

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-02-2006 at 05:05 PM

Are you being deliberately annoying? I am perfectly well aware of the function and location of the tab button. Please explain your comment instead of trying to be witty.

Are you trying to say that I should perhaps format my code differently? If so, why not say that? Anyway, the code is to be read and modified by me only (you seem to be a wizard at finding tab buttons, but incapable of reading the paragraph at the top of the script) and so it is only necessary for me to read my script.

I hope I have not caused offence, but please be more specific.

I hope that I can help you with your problem, if you explain it.

Robert

EDIT: Thank you, absorbation. It seems that a) I was on the right lines about his problem, and b) someone else agrees with my point.

Edit2: Has anyone actually used my script? If so, a) what did you think of it? and b) There is a new version available from the link now. It solves the problem of messenger slowing down when sending. It now uploads at strategic intervals.

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by Big0ne on 08-02-2006 at 08:27 PM

Don't worry. Seems that french ppl don't speak english. He will probably post some new links to google later.

;)

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by jabetizo on 08-02-2006 at 09:01 PM

great script (Y).. i would suggest adding an option for specifying the upload interval

edit: how do you view the logs? :S

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-03-2006 at 10:24 AM

Thanks. Yes, I will add the option to change the upload interval. It was just done as a quick remedy to a huge problem.

To view the logs, open the "Chatlog.xml" file on your server. It is also in the script folder. Make sure that the CSS is in the same folder.

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by jabetizo on 08-03-2006 at 11:52 AM

another suggestion: timestamp the messages in the logfile ;)

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-03-2006 at 11:54 AM

That is a very good idea. My other (more developed) script AnswerPhone FTP has these. I will try to include them here, too.

Thank you.

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by deAd on 08-03-2006 at 12:57 PM

Why don't you just upload the Plus! chatlogs?

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-03-2006 at 02:03 PM

That was an idea that I thought about, but it has two problems as far as I can see.

1. Users save them in different places, so the script would need to ask the user where they are
  2. They are less flexible to the script. In the future, the script may have more advanced features, such as only logging certain users, or at certain times, or deleting individual messages.
    [/list]

If I was able to work around the first of these, then this would be a possibility. However, I would not want the script to ask the user too much, to preserve stability.

Thank you anyway

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by deAd on 08-03-2006 at 03:40 PM

(1) The path is stored in the registry:
HKCU\\Software\\Patchou\\Messenger Plus! Live\\<email>\\Preferences\\LogDirectory

(2) You only have to upload the ones with certain users, and if you want to modify it just copy the file to another directory, change it, and then upload it. If they're XHTML you can delete individual messages easily, and they contain times so you can only keep the certain times.

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-03-2006 at 04:05 PM

The problem with modifying them manually is the encryption (which is the point of this thread!). I would have to decrypt them, modify them, and then encrypt them again. It would probably be easier to create them, modify them and then encrypt them. Because if the existing logs are encrypted, then it's unlikely that they could be easily decrypted. And anyway, I wouldn't have thought that Patchou would like a program / script published that undoes his feature (encryption).

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by jabetizo on 08-04-2006 at 08:59 AM

you could make the chatfile.xml an index file, which would include hyperlinks to daily logs per-contact

also, it would be nice if the user could specify the maximum size per file and when that size is reached a new file is started

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-04-2006 at 09:15 AM

Well, I could try some of those things. But first I think that I will add some more basic features, such as a time / date stamp.

Good ideas though!

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by neohunter on 08-14-2006 at 05:33 PM

was so nice until the file comes to 50kb and i need to wait about 10 seconds for every messege i send or receive...

There is no way to just upload the last message and not the full log?...  if not, why you dont think in a server side script, may a php....  may you can send the last message using POST

and... there is no anyway to send the emoticons and the text formal (colors and type fonts)??

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by jabetizo on 08-14-2006 at 07:03 PM

yeah, it really gets laggy with time.. i think you should impliment a file size limit

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-21-2006 at 07:34 AM

Sorry, everyone. I feel I need to make this apology about lagginess. I only noticed this after submitting the script. It now works on a simple timer, uploading every 5 minutes or so. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy ready for uploading yet. I'll post here when I do.

RObert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by neohunter on 08-21-2006 at 05:22 PM

Hey! seriously! the timer is not the solution. i think the solution is a php script on the server side. If not may we can release anothing Plug-IN using a php on the server side. So we just need to send the last message we send or receive using POST  to the server side script, and the script saves it at the end of our file. No MORE LAGG!

Come on! thats a great idea! Please contact me; i can do the php. you can do the js that try to connect to a url ( HTTP )!! everything is do!

Its easy! pleasee add me to you msn

arnoldroa [|at|] hotmail.com

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 08-21-2006 at 06:31 PM

Well, that is an idea that has crossed my mind. However, I thought that I would keep it client-side because not everyone with ftp access has a PHP server. Most free ftp servers do not. But perhaps we could make another script, like you say.

Robert

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by neohunter on 08-21-2006 at 06:36 PM

yep. we can do another script. please add me to your msn =) 

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by SadSalman on 01-24-2007 at 01:26 PM

yes Timestamps are necessary.

last message with PHP will definitely be better then upload after every message or after every 5 mins, it will help people like me who are on dialups :)

Thanks for the great script couldnt use it yet cause it lags alot when I am bombarded by messages.

thanks for reading my rants :roll_eyes.gif:

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by neohunter on 11-02-2007 at 06:43 PM

i try to contact rob but he dont reply me, so i make the script  with PHP:

you can check it out (and please give me more ideas) here:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=78571

RE: [Release] Online Chat Logger by rob_botch on 11-02-2007 at 06:54 PM

Sorry, I wasn't aware you were attempting to contact me. My inbox is always open :). Anyway, your script looks great; good luck with it.