Shoutbox

I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? (/showthread.php?tid=64383)

I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by graky on 08-02-2006 at 09:55 PM

[b]well basically ive got a computer running on a basic windowsXP, but its qiute dated!! can anyone tell me what to do.... what do i need to make it abit faster aswell do i need a new processor.Ive heard bout the new AMD 5.6Ghx but i aint got the right other components. anyway i will be most gratefull for any help thank you!!

graky

RE: I NEED EXPERT HELP!!! by qgroessl on 08-02-2006 at 10:02 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx

Expert help would be there I'm guessing;)... Get more ram to make it faster??

RE: I NEED EXPERT HELP!!! by Plik on 08-02-2006 at 10:05 PM

You need to think about what stuff you use your computer for before you think about what to upgrade. (e.g. do you do a lot of gameing, video editing etc.)

RE: I NEED EXPERT HELP!!! by graky on 08-02-2006 at 10:06 PM

YEA sorry i forgot to mention that hmmmm i play alot of games ... ever heard of counterstrike !! THAT so yea n i do qiut alot on msn n internet browsing ... not much work realy

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by brian on 08-02-2006 at 10:10 PM

If you play CS, just get any computer with not the biggest card, if you're playing CS: Source then it's another story.

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by graky on 08-02-2006 at 10:13 PM

naa jst counterstike anymore advice ..... i realy want to buy something for my computer!! i jst need it abit faster and more reliable .... and whilst im on the subject have any of you got any websites that i could buy components from??? thanks.

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by ~INVASION~ on 08-02-2006 at 10:24 PM

www.tigerdirect.com www.tigerdirect.ca www.ebay.com

tho tiger direct jewed me for my rebate :@

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by DJeX on 08-02-2006 at 10:49 PM

Try this for games http://www.theorica.net/gamexp.htm

also instead of tigerdirect try www.ncix.com

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by Adeptus on 08-02-2006 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by graky
i realy want to buy something for my computer!! i jst need it abit faster and more reliable ....
It is impossible to make any good suggestions not knowing what you have.  If you want specific advice, please post full specs of the computer.

By the way, you should try to find out why the computer is unreliable first.  There is no guarantee that an upgrade of select few components will also fix any problems.  It would be unfortunate if, say, your motherboard dies right after you've spent money on a new graphics card and more RAM.

quote:
have any of you got any websites that i could buy components from???
Serving what country?

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by graky on 08-02-2006 at 11:21 PM

oh right sorry, hmmm here they are .....

Processor Intel Pentium 4 1992MHz
Display Card SiS 650/651/M650/M652/740 series
Memory 256MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Free Disk Space 25.87GB
Display Card Memory 16MB
Display Driver Version 6.13.10.2081
DirectX Version 9.0c
Optical Drive N/A
Sound Card C-Media Wave Device

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by Adeptus on 08-03-2006 at 05:39 AM

Nice -- that computer is a great candidate for some upgrades.  You currently have a relatively fast processor (2GHz) that is seriously hampered by not enough RAM and, for games, a woefully inadequate graphics card.  Addressing both of those won't make it quite as good as a brand new computer you could buy today, but it could make a huge difference and be like a new computer to you.

How much RAM you add is up to you, just make sure you get the right type.  You can use CPU-Z to identify the type of memory and it might be a good idea to open your computer and see how many empty slots you have (although CPU-Z might tell you that as well).  If you only have one empty memory slot, then an economical upgrade might be adding a single 512MB module, to get to 768MB.  If you have more than one slot, you might want to add more.

Any recent AGP graphics card from Nvidia or ATI will outperform the 5-years-old SiS piece of junk you have.  When deciding how much to spend on that, keep in mind that if/when you buy a new computer or upgrade the motherboard in this one, it will probably use PCI-E instead of AGP and you won't be able to reuse the card you buy now.

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by graky on 08-03-2006 at 12:13 PM

what so all i really need a new RAM and a new graphics card? and by the way thanks for the link that http://www.cpuid.com/ thing is really good!

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by Adeptus on 08-03-2006 at 03:29 PM

quote:
so all i really need a new RAM and a new graphics card?
Well, a brand new, top of the line gaming computer would be better.  :P  However, assuming that isn't happening, more RAM and a decent graphics card would serve you well.

This is just an example, but you could get the suggested additional 512MB (taking you to 768MB) and a 128MB GeForce 6800 XT card for the total of about $200 USD. 

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by graky on 08-03-2006 at 04:12 PM

oh right thanks, is that $200 for the RAM and graphics card......
Any other sugestions on graphics cards and which ones to get?

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by Pyro on 08-04-2006 at 08:32 AM

try http://www.staticice.com.au/ for computer parts.

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by ryxdp on 08-07-2006 at 04:51 AM

Nice comp! :P I would suggest, on top of all the other stuff you're getting, a decent DEFRAGMENT.

btw, how many drives have you got? (CD/DVD/HDD etc.)

RE: I need expert help: how to make my Windows XP faster? by graky on 08-09-2006 at 03:44 PM

hmmm only got 1 drive .... CD/DVD RW