Shoutbox

Windows Folder to big - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Windows Folder to big (/showthread.php?tid=64568)

Windows Folder to big by Centrius on 08-06-2006 at 11:47 PM

Hello, I have a c and d hard drive, the C hardrive is 29 gigs big and the D is 7 gigs big. I found out that i have 1 gig of mem left on my c drive and the other day i had 13.  I looked at my folders and saw that my Windows folder takes up 16 gigs on its own and i need help reducing the size. Thank you

RE: Windows Folder to big by qgroessl on 08-07-2006 at 12:06 AM

If it suddenly jumped in size you should do a virus/spyware scan... Cause I don't see why it would increase THAT much in size.

RE: Windows Folder to big by Centrius on 08-07-2006 at 12:12 AM

Do you suggest using specific progs or any will do?

RE: Windows Folder to big by M73A on 08-07-2006 at 12:26 AM

my guess is any, they all do the job afaik

RE: Windows Folder to big by Centrius on 08-07-2006 at 02:31 AM

For an update for you guys, I DID a scan and found some spyware....but I also saw that after deleteing a few files I got about 3 gigs bck but windows grew another gig big...

RE: Windows Folder to big by qgroessl on 08-07-2006 at 02:37 AM

Hmm... Which program did you use for a Spyware scan... M73A was right that they pretty much all do a good job... but I'm just wondering for personal reasons.

Now I'd suggest doing a virus scan as well... I don't know if a virus would do this or not? But it's better safe then sorry really. Shouldn't take too too long. Just do it before you go to bed tonight or something and check it in the morning or something.

RE: Windows Folder to big by Voldemort on 08-07-2006 at 03:31 AM

Download CCleaner, if you have not deleted your temp files, its going to help quite a bit

RE: Windows Folder to big by Centrius on 08-07-2006 at 05:43 AM

I did delete my temp files already but i'll still try the download...but is there anyway to delete some useless files from windows to reduce the size if it really got that big for real.

RE: Windows Folder to big by Cartox on 08-07-2006 at 06:41 AM

Try to find out what file, folder in your windows map has grown that large ,i suggest using "Disk Recon" from Blacksunsoftware

RE: Windows Folder to big by ddunk on 08-07-2006 at 06:43 AM

WinDirStat will scan a folder/drive and tell you what files/folders are taking up what percentage of used space. It even gives you a pretty picture.
[Image: windirstat.jpg]