Shoutbox

Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? (/showthread.php?tid=64645)

Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by M73A on 08-08-2006 at 11:26 AM

anyone reccommend any?

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by MattyRid on 08-08-2006 at 11:40 AM

I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security. Extremely goo and has a decent Anti-Virus program in it as well.

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by Knucks on 08-08-2006 at 11:46 AM

I use AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall edition, the only downside of it really is the cost. :<

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by RaceProUK on 08-08-2006 at 12:21 PM

I use the free AVG anti-virus, and XP SP2's own firewall. That way I don't have to pay for AV, and the firewall is built into the OS.

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by absorbation on 08-08-2006 at 12:21 PM

Use XP's own, it does the job and uses hardly any process memory.

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by Knucks on 08-08-2006 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
I use the free AVG anti-virus, and XP SP2's own firewall. That way I don't have to pay for AV, and the firewall is built into the OS.
I suppose that is a good idea but isn't the built in firewall in XP SP2 supposed to be really crap? This is just what I have heard and only use that firewall if I have to.

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by RaceProUK on 08-08-2006 at 12:23 PM

The firewall in SP1 was crap. In SP2 it's much better.

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by aNILEator on 08-08-2006 at 12:54 PM

yes tbh if your tech savy and know not to open dodgy looking files or think that the file your looking for is amazingly small in size and its an .exe/.pif or other extension that doesn't look familiar to you then don't open it. that's your Anti virus sorted out.

and the firewall in SP2 is quite good, not very user friendly (bearing in mind the average PC user doesn't know how to browse the programs folder) but it does the job.

I use zonealarm but i really liked avg antivirus and firewall when i was a tester for it :)

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by vaccination on 08-08-2006 at 01:14 PM

Outpost: I use it is is very good and lets you know about anything that is going on and gives you full control. Atm it is using 15mb so not that smalll but you might want to try it.

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by Sunshine on 08-08-2006 at 02:08 PM

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by Nathan on 08-08-2006 at 02:54 PM

If you have a router they usually have a firewall built in ;) Mine has two :tongue:

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by M73A on 08-08-2006 at 09:36 PM

built in firewall it is! i dont tend to do anything dodgy, so i dont need super 1337 protection, just something to keep my mind at ease...

anyone recommened an antivirus that will not slow my startup speed and will not make my computer lag when its not doing anything and in the system tray! thanks!

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by Voldemort on 08-08-2006 at 09:39 PM

AV-G and sygate ftw.

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by hiqbal on 08-09-2006 at 11:10 AM

McAfee Desktop Firewall is very good. version 8.5

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by aNILEator on 08-09-2006 at 11:52 AM

AVG again

don't go norton ever EVER EVER!!!!!

big hunk of yellow shit that it is

RE: Firewall That Doesnt Use A Lot Of Memory? by linx05 on 08-09-2006 at 12:45 PM

Either Look 'n' Stop or Commodo. I recommend these two!