Shoutbox

Which Browser Do You Like? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Which Browser Do You Like? (/showthread.php?tid=64693)

Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-09-2006 at 12:05 PM

Okay, There's this debate now among people that the best internet browser is OPERA 9.0.

My vote was for Mozilla Firefox 1.5.6 as long as you use it on good machines and use it mostly for surfing/browsing only.

With media rich websites and all the standard features Internet Explorer 6.0 still rules.

Post your vote then.

Regards,

hiqbal

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Eddie on 08-09-2006 at 12:14 PM

Hehe Firefox is tha bomb :P
Warning: This thread may become a war :D

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Thor on 08-09-2006 at 12:18 PM

Opera is proven to be safest, fastest and passes the Acd 2 test! :P

And that's not discussable. :tongue:

But what browser people like best is a diffrent thing :P

RE: RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-09-2006 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
Hehe Firefox is tha bomb :P
Warning: This thread may become a war :D

Hahahahahahaha @ WAR :)

Well, lets see who wins the battle

All the browsers may use this thread for their ratings as well ;) once we have lot of entries and votes.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-09-2006 at 12:30 PM

;)

Well Lets keep it a polite war with genuine stats and valid comments . DO remember the forum rules too.

Check the stats below on the link:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-09-2006 at 12:38 PM

Here's another recent review of top three known browsers

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1990859,00.asp

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by linx05 on 08-09-2006 at 12:40 PM

:O Maxthon isn't even in there! That's a travesty!

I wonder who will throw the first stone?

Btw Dazmatic, best avatar ever!

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by -dt- on 08-09-2006 at 12:56 PM

Firefox or Opera... I much prefer Firefox but Opera is the best alternative (to Firefox) and IE shouldn't even be on the poll.

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrolinken
Opera is proven to be safest, fastest and passes the Acd 2 test! :P

That may be but wheres Opera's support of javascript 1.6 features like E4X or javascript 1.7 features like generators and iterators.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Eddie on 08-09-2006 at 01:10 PM

The main reason i dont use Opera because ive heard it doesnt support all of the programs that i use for some of the websites i visit :( Although Opera is my second preference instead of Internet Explorer, my school doesnt even use Explorer :P

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by -Bogan- on 08-09-2006 at 01:12 PM

How many times have I seen these polls they always end the same all out war we will never agree.

Firefox is my personel fav since my conversion a few years back by the mighty -dt-.

* -Bogan- bows before his greatness -dt-

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Nathan on 08-09-2006 at 01:38 PM

I got loads of negs reps for making a thread like this when i was new :P

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by -Bogan- on 08-09-2006 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
I got loads of negs reps for making a thread like this when i was new :P

WHat doe sthis have to do with anything???

I don't see how this resolves the matter at hand...

Firefox is the out right winner as most loved.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by lrac522 on 08-09-2006 at 01:55 PM

RealOnePlayer Browser...[Image: cownana.gif]

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by user27089 on 08-10-2006 at 06:40 AM

More people use Mozilla Firefox, but Opera is the "best" browser out at the moment, statistically speaking (looking at speed etc.)

However, I use Mozilla Firefox, as I prefer the UI (inc. themes), the plugins and how simple and clean it is.

Firefox will probably win this vote by the way.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-10-2006 at 09:06 AM

Opera is the safest, fastest browser out there, but I think Firefox is the most extensible and customisable. IE is the most popular, and works with more websites than any other.

The reason why some sites work in IE and not in others was back in the original Browser War, both Microsoft and Netscape kept releasing proprietary features. Microsoft's features, together with IE's integration into the OS, led it to become the victor in that war.

Firefox is doing all it can to return to a Web where all sites work in all browsers, hence the 'Taking back the Web' stuff. However, IE still has the overwhelming majority of market share, meaning that sites will still be coded specifically for IE for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, I use Firefox 1.5, as I can't live without tabbed browsing and all the extensions I have. It's the little things as well, like keywords for bookmarks, the password and download managers, the better security.

But use what you like best. Try them all, then decide.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Thor on 08-10-2006 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
RealOnePlayer Browser...[Image: cownana.gif]
Actually that is IE. ROPB is just a diffrent looking IE.

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
Firefox or Opera... I much prefer Firefox but Opera is the best alternative (to Firefox) and IE shouldn't even be on the poll.

That may be but wheres Opera's support of javascript 1.6 features like E4X or javascript 1.7 features like generators and iterators.
Well, it's better to fully support little, then to partly support big. (Bad wayto explain :P)

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/wrongWithIE/?chapter...s+in+Valid+Scripts
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-10-2006 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrolinken
ROPB is just a diffrent looking IE
As is Maxthon, so anyone complaining about the poll missing Maxthon, just vote IE :P
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by saralk on 08-10-2006 at 09:46 AM

I think that Opera is the best browser. I have been a paying user since version 6.

I think it is awesome, because right out of the box, it has so many features that would take hours of customisation to get in firefox.
Also, everything, and I mean everything is customisable. At a basic level, you can customize how the toolbars look, by moving stuff around, but you can also customise everything, and even create your own buttons. I have created my own customised version of Opera with a load of developer tools. For example, I can quickly check any page that I am on with one of five different validators, which is great for debugging. You can also code your own buttons, and mouse guestures if you want.

Also, Opera is very very innovative, it was the first browser to have tabs, first (and only) Windows browser to pass Acid2, Gmail is an exact copy of Opera's built in e-mail client (M2), first browser to have mouse guestures, only browser to have built in bittorrent support.
If you want to see what browsers of the future will look like, Opera is the way to go.

I have in the past tried to use Firefox, but I was too used to Opera's way of doing things so I switched back within a day.
I think its the small things that will make you switch back, for example, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was the fact that the tabs didn't resize depending on the length of the webpages' titles

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Lourix on 08-10-2006 at 09:47 AM

I like Internet Explorer mainly because its the one i've used all my life.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Dempsey on 08-10-2006 at 09:52 AM

I use FireFox, but some missed browsers:

Flock, Swift, Safari, Camino, iCab, Konqueror

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Lourix on 08-10-2006 at 09:53 AM

There must be hundreds of browsers.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by saralk on 08-10-2006 at 10:43 AM

There are loads of browsers, but there aren't many rendering engines.
The rendering engine is the core bit that turns HTML coding into things you can see, and a load of browsers use the same ones.

The main ones are...

Trident - which is used in IE, and therefore all IE based browsers, such as Avant Browser
Gecko - An open source engine, which is used in all Mozilla based browsers, such as Firefox and Flock
Presto - used in Opera, and also used in Adobe Dreamweaver (on OSX) and CS2
Those are all Windows Engines, there are many others.

On Linux, the main one is KHTML for Konqueror, and there is also Presto, since Opera is linux compatiable.

and on Macs, there is iCab (for iCab), WebCore (used in Safari) and Presto.

on Mobiles there is HTMLayout and Presto.

Note that Presto is the only engine that is compatiable on pretty much all platforms, including mobile platforms.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Thor on 08-10-2006 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I think that Opera is the best browser. I have been a paying user since version 6.

I think it is awesome, because right out of the box, it has so many features that would take hours of customisation to get in firefox.
Also, everything, and I mean everything is customisable. At a basic level, you can customize how the toolbars look, by moving stuff around, but you can also customise everything, and even create your own buttons. I have created my own customised version of Opera with a load of developer tools. For example, I can quickly check any page that I am on with one of five different validators, which is great for debugging. You can also code your own buttons, and mouse guestures if you want.

Also, Opera is very very innovative, it was the first browser to have tabs, first (and only) Windows browser to pass Acid2, Gmail is an exact copy of Opera's built in e-mail client (M2), first browser to have mouse guestures, only browser to have built in bittorrent support.
If you want to see what browsers of the future will look like, Opera is the way to go.

I have in the past tried to use Firefox, but I was too used to Opera's way of doing things so I switched back within a day.
I think its the small things that will make you switch back, for example, the straw that broke the camel's back for me was the fact that the tabs didn't resize depending on the length of the webpages' titles
I totally agree about that! :)
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-10-2006 at 12:57 PM

quote:
On Linux, the main one is KHTML for Konqueror, and there is also Presto, since Opera is linux compatiable.
quote:
and on Macs, there is iCab (for iCab), WebCore (used in Safari) and Presto.

Not forgetting Gecko, since all Mozilla products are cross-platform.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Matti on 08-10-2006 at 01:04 PM

My vote goes for Firefox. :D

It looks so cool and much more user-friendly than IE. Opera is good too, but in my opinion a bit too professional for me: browser plus e-mail is not really my thing. Also, some sites have major glitches in Opera. And Netscape simply sucks! :P
I can't tell anything about the other browsers since I never tried them before... and I don't think I ever will.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaPLeX on 08-10-2006 at 02:31 PM

and 1 vote goes to...... Internet Explorer 7 :P .I voted for last version of ie.tabs etc.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Exca on 08-10-2006 at 02:51 PM

firefox loads slower than IE here...

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-10-2006 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
firefox loads slower than IE here...
That's because so much of what IE uses is already loaded as part of the OS, and all of Firefox isn't.

What most don't know is that IE is just a fancy wrapper for the very common WebBrowser control, which is used all across Windows. It's used by any app that needs to display HTML or XML-based data, for example, online Help systems, some dialogs, adbanners, Web browsers (surprisingly :P), Active Desktop, etc. Firefox doesn't use the WebBrowser control, so doesn't get the benefit of being already half-loaded with the OS.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Exca on 08-13-2006 at 09:34 AM

i want to come back on my vote... Downloaded Opera because of the comments and i really think it's a great browser. 9.0 had some flaws and i had doubts about it but yesterday 9.0.1 came and everything is solved. Except: some frames on website's are displayed smaller than in IE, which results in splitted sentences. I still think in every way that IE shows every page correct, and all other browsers have problems with some pages. Also Safari does strange things. IE never does :) then comes Opera.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Oxy on 08-13-2006 at 11:03 AM

netscape is soo cool!! And the skin you can use at the start of it is mence!!! okay so you can't really use the proper mail beta when using it, but who cares!? use desktop beta!!

why have only 2 people voted for netscape?? the swines!!:P

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by aNILEator on 08-13-2006 at 11:41 AM

you geeks :P

i didn't get along with opera when i tried using it, so i went with firefox and haven't turned back

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-14-2006 at 11:48 AM

quote:
I still think in every way that IE shows every page correct
* RaceProUK resists laughing like a maniac
IE's standards support is the worst around, and has been for some time. So, when it displays pages that 'look' right, they are in fact sometimes being displayed wrong i.e. not according to the standards.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Exca on 08-14-2006 at 12:19 PM

Then explain to me why Opera is showing a navigating frame to small which results in splitted links, and all other browsers (read safari, ie, firefox) display it correct? Maybe IE isn't to strict with displaying, but it's always displaying RIGHT, over 8 years surfing with IE i never found one page which had displaying faults , and for as fas as i'm concerned, that's the only thing that matters to me. All other browsers got me displaying weird things on the first day of use (even professional coded webshop-sites). Plus Opera has some strange bugs like the mouse that sometimes actually moves below the mousepoint on your screen and not being compatible with pcbanking and stuff...

Some guy I know does the website of Belgium biggest bank, these numbers are the belgian users:

"Also at this point 1.5% of the population uses Opera; 55.1%
uses Internet Explorer 6; 1.9% Internet Explorer 7; 4.1% Internet
Explorer 5, 26.4% Firefox and 2.5% Netscape.)

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by ayjay on 08-14-2006 at 12:31 PM

quote:
over 8 years surfing with IE i never found one page which had displaying faults

Because people spend hours trying to make completely standards compliant sites compatible with Internet Explorer using god knows how many hacks to please the majority of viewers.

If you want to write a few things using CSS, you'll soon start to hate IE :P
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Exca on 08-14-2006 at 12:36 PM

I totally agree that IE isn't strict with codes, i knew that, and yes css is a pain in the ass with IE, but based on what I saw, IE shows them all good, in contrary to some other browsers which are claimed to be better.

So if firefox and Opera are better, then why is there still a difference is displaying? :)

The way I see it, there is no such thing as the perfect engine...

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-14-2006 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Then explain to me why Opera is showing a navigating frame to small which results in splitted links, and all other browsers (read safari, ie, firefox) display it correct? Maybe IE isn't to strict with displaying, but it's always displaying RIGHT, over 8 years surfing with IE i never found one page which had displaying faults , and for as fas as i'm concerned, that's the only thing that matters to me.
Don't get so worked up over this! I'll explain...

As with anything on the Internet, HTML is standardised. Any program that supports HTML has to use the HTML standard.
Now, some browsers (Firefox, Opera et al) stick to the standards very closely. Therefore, when they operate in 'standards-compliant mode', they display HTML according to the specification. If the HTML is not standards-compliant, the browser switches to 'quirks mode', which makes a best guess.

Now, IE is different altogether. It's standards support lags behind, and sometimes is absent. This leads to standards-compliant HTML being rendered wrong i.e. not according to the standard. Since the majority of users use IE, developers then work around the flaws in IE, meaning the site can look bad in more standards-compliant browsers.

To give a prime example: the IE Box Model vs. the W3C Box Model. This image explains it all:
[Image: box-compare.gif]
The W3C Box Model is the international standard here.
Source

Edit: Who cleared the poll?
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by leachy08 on 08-14-2006 at 02:21 PM

Love firefox but a lot of websites look naf in it. Use firefox unless i get problems with a website in that case i use ie for backup.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-14-2006 at 02:26 PM

Like RaceProUK mentioned, most of the developers used tweaks for websites to look better on Internet Explorer bypassing the actual standards as it was the browser used with majority.

Now the trend is changing, I myself have a company where we develop websites and multimedia presentations.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-14-2006 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hiqbal
Now the trend is changing
Not to mention IE's standards support is getting better by the second.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Lourix on 08-14-2006 at 02:38 PM

If Opera is the best then why has only one person voted for it?

RE: RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by alexp2_ad on 08-14-2006 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix

Because all the votes seem to have disappeared?  I voted for this poll then had to vote again just now. *-)
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-14-2006 at 03:00 PM

Since I heard people praising Opera 9.01, I used it all the time since a week now.

I installed it on my notebook and 2 desktops I have at home. I have Firefox (since a year) on these systems as well. Honestly, Firefox is faster and better :) with only taking up memory in my slower notebook.

Only good thing is Opera adjusts the google inbox very nicely for me :) I dont know how... My GMail inbox looks better in Opera than in Firefox or IE. Check the snapshots on the links below:

http://www.savefile.com/files/2202667
http://www.savefile.com/files/4705485

A couple of websites were not working properly having web 2.0 stuff. Couple of sites I work on Opera couldnt support all the features: [i]Windows Live Mail, Yahoo Mail Beta, Flickr, Zooomr, & a few sites having Java applications??

RE: RE: RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-14-2006 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
quote:
Originally posted by Lourix

Because all the votes seem to have disappeared?  I voted for this poll then had to vote again just now. *-)

I am sorry, I edited the Poll and added SAFARI .. :(
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Menfreya on 08-15-2006 at 08:15 PM

At the moment I have these browsers on my computer:

- IE 6
- Maxthon
- Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.6
- Opera 9.0.1
- Netscape

I use all exept IE 6.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by cloudhunter on 08-15-2006 at 08:25 PM

I use Firefox, or IE6 in a tab in firefox using IETab if need be...

If you are using Maxathon, Aren't you just using IE6 but in a shell?

Firefox is my favourite...

Cloudy

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by GiantSpider on 08-15-2006 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudhunter
I use Firefox, or IE6 in a tab in firefox using IETab if need be...
Yeah, for things like windows update & whatever.

The problem with Internet Explorer vs everything else is that it is far too easy to get to. Most people won't know that there are any other ways to look at the internet than using Internet Explorer, I know everyone else in my house doesn't.

Now the problem I have is that users are in effect being forced to use it, simply because they know no better. It's monopolising and it should be taken out & people should be given a choice.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by lrac522 on 08-15-2006 at 11:42 PM

WoW! I have just downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox and to my surprize I am getting better performance over IE6.:banana:

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by Chris4 on 08-15-2006 at 11:49 PM

Heh, Opera has more votes then IE.

RE: RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-16-2006 at 10:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
WoW! I have just downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox and to my surprize I am getting better performance over IE6.:banana:

Wait for a few more days as it speeds up more. Take my advice to use Firetune from www.totalidea.com.

Small free tool to tune your Mozilla Firefox according to internet speed and your PC ..

Hope u will like it.. (y)
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-16-2006 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Take my advice to use Firetune from www.totalidea.com.
And also consider the Fasterfox extension.
RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by hiqbal on 08-16-2006 at 10:29 AM

Yesterday, I read a couple of problems with Fasterfox and Adblock extensions by the way.

Suggested tool was Firetune and extension AdBlock PLUS.

RE: Which Browser Do You Like? by RaceProUK on 08-16-2006 at 10:34 AM

quote:
problems with Fasterfox
I haven't had any so far [Image: msn_wink.gif]
quote:
Adblock
Is crap compared to Adblock Plus.
quote:
AdBlock PLUS
Also get the Filterset.G Updater extension to go with it.