Shoutbox

Would you buy this? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Would you buy this? (/showthread.php?tid=64736)

Would you buy this? by flanders56 on 08-10-2006 at 11:28 AM

I have recetly become very interested in purchasing a new desktop, as the one i have now is clearly not good enough for the processes i wish to run. Atm i have a very old dell computer and wish to buy a new desktop all together.This new desktop will be souly for playing lots of computer games, eg counter-strike, generals wow, and having msn and more programmes running at the same time, I have searched numerous sites to try and find the best gaming pc, but the main view on the internet if you are in to gaming, is to either buy the seperate componants and put it together yourself, which im not clever enough to do :D, or get someone who does know what he/she is doing and get them to do the job for you. Which is what i have chosen to do, These are the ground rules that i gave him................:-

- it must be very very fast
- the grafics must look very pretty :D
- i must be able to run numerous straining  processes at the same time
- i give you a maximum of £1750

This is the final idea that he sent me.

Case: Raidmax Titan graphite gaming case

Motherboard:  Asus M2N-E AM2 Skt940 nForce 570 Ultra  SATA RAID PCI-E x16 Giga LAN +8ch 

Processor:AMD FX 62 Dual Core socket AM2 Processor

Hard disc: 320 GB Seagate Barracuda® ATA100 7200rpm 16MB

monitor: VideoSeven L19WA 19" WideScreen 8MS Silver & Black Monitor

Graphics card: XFX  GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB  DUAL GPU DVIx2 PCI-E

Drives: LG  DVD +/-R/RW 16x16x8x6x5 Dual layer IDE OEM LG

Memory: Ram 3GB Kingston Value Ram  533MHz DDR2 Non-ECC

PSU: Power supply Silverstone Strider460W PSU 120mm fan 22dBA SATA support +PFC

He has told me that he can make this computer for me at a cost of exactly £1750

Basically if you have any positive, critical , hyperlinks comments please dont hesitate to post, i need as much helpfull information as i can, anything about any componants, the price, ANYTHING!

FlAnd3r$56

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by Exca on 08-10-2006 at 11:33 AM

that must be a murder machine :) buy that thing...

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by stoshrocket on 08-10-2006 at 11:35 AM

:drool: can you make me one as well please?? (a) rofl

yes, its an awesome computer.. i can't see any faults with it myself

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by saralk on 08-10-2006 at 11:38 AM

That is a pretty good system, and the price offered is quite reasonable.

However, be aware that if you are not too confortable with comptuers, then buying a computer from a mate may not be the best option for you. If there are any troubles with the comptuer, your freind may be reluctant to help you.
Also, if you buy from a company, within certain limits you are guarenteed a certain level of quality, you can't be so sure with a friend.

Edit: I just configured a similar system on Dell.co.uk, the final price was £1,791 inc Delivery and VAT.

Processor: Intel Core Duo E6400 2.12GHz
Memory: 2GB
HDD: 320GB (2x160GB RAID 0)
Drives: DVD+/-RW Drive 16x
Video Card: Dual 256 nVidia GeForce 7900GS
Monitor: 19" Flat Panel
Sound: 5.1 Surround

This also comes with 3 Years onsite support.

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by optimism_ on 08-10-2006 at 11:42 AM

That is overkill on so many fronts.

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by lordy on 08-10-2006 at 11:45 AM

For example: You probably don't need that much RAM for a desktop computer. 2GB would probably be more than enough for the average user.

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by ddunk on 08-10-2006 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by optimism_
That is overkill on so many fronts.
Indeed.

But since you have a seemingly bottomless pit of money to spend on a desktop at 14 years old, add a floppy drive (you may not use it, but you'll probably need it if you ever reformat) and another DVD drive. Add a soundcard too.
RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by Underlord on 08-10-2006 at 11:53 AM

In a word. No.
FXs are not cost effective, neither are 1024mb graphics cards.
You'd be better off getting two 512mb SLI graphics cards.

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by -dt- on 08-10-2006 at 11:56 AM

also dont get a widescreen for your main screen... some games dont support them or just look weird

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by flanders56 on 08-10-2006 at 11:57 AM

OK thank you everyone, we have a mixture of results :D you are all very helpfull..

keep the comments coming

Fland3r$56

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by markee on 08-10-2006 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
also dont get a widescreen for your main screen... some games dont support them or just look weird
If you have a decent graphics card you can configure it so that it keeps the proper dimensions in fullscreen applications (just worked that one out the other day when I looked through the preferences for the 100th time).  At least if you get this computer you shouldn't need to upgrade for a number of years, it might cost a lot but it saves having to think about upgrading or buying a new computer later.  Though as Underlord said, try looking at getting two of smaller things like graphics cards, memmory cards, hard drives, etc as this will save money.  Some other peices of hardware you might look into as it seems you are very rich are a HDTV tuner, wireless card, bluetooth (saves having something sticking outside your computer) and better peripherals (mouse, keyboard will be what you look at mainly as you use them the most).  Also you might want to look into having dual screens if you can afford it.  I hope I have given you some ideas.
RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by flanders56 on 08-10-2006 at 01:42 PM

i have a logitech G15 keyboard, a razer krait mouse, an icemat, JBL speakers and some sennheiser SK 160 headset :D so i think im sorted with that but thank u very much for clearing my worry about the screen size ect :D

i need more positive/negative input please

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by lizard.boy on 08-11-2006 at 01:33 AM

One thing i noticed was the choice of the 3gb of kingston value ram, at 533 mhz. I would suggest going with 2 gb of quality ram at 800mhz, probably for the same amount of cash. The speed of the ram for gaming is often more important than the quantity, and buying quality ram will usually give stricter timings for better gaming. I wouldn't go with value ram unless your building a simple workstation.

As well, i would definatly go with a secondary DVD/CD ROM drive, you'll love it if you ever duplicate a cd.

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by Nathan on 08-11-2006 at 01:50 AM

I have a 3.0ghz intel P4 and 1gb of ram and its fine for running games (well would be if i had a decent gpu) But its so much fatser as it is DDR2 Ram. So it'd be better of going for less ram but DDR2 ;)
Sounds like a good pc there though.

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by flanders56 on 08-11-2006 at 10:17 AM

thank you, more comments please!

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by Kenji on 08-11-2006 at 10:32 AM

I think your going abit over the top there, i got a new pc aand the specs are good and it only cost arround £700 :

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmatic
2 x 1 gb ram
Intel P4 dual core 2 x 3GHZ
Samsung 250GB hdd
500W psu
17' Samsung tft monitor
XP media center
some other stuff from old pc

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by aNILEator on 08-11-2006 at 10:01 PM

2 1GB sticks and just think if one of them gets an error you'll be fucked again to replace them 1gb sticks cost soooo much:P

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by Nathan on 08-11-2006 at 10:36 PM

It all depends on what kind of ram what model what make etc....
Prices for ram can very to as little as £10. but for higher memory they go to sky high prices like £400!
For a 1gb stick of DDR2 Ram it'd cost as little as £67 but the higher prices at £129.
So all ram sticks vary in price.

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by lizard.boy on 08-12-2006 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
2 1GB sticks and just think if one of them gets an error you'll be fucked again to replace them 1gb sticks cost soooo much:P

If you get them in a bundle, its often cheaper than 4x 512, and if your buying quality you usually get some sort of warrentee.
RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by lrac522 on 08-12-2006 at 04:58 AM

WOW! Would definately get that without a doubt, that's heavy man! then again, when would I be able to buy something like that?:( :angel:

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by flanders56 on 08-13-2006 at 11:30 AM

fortunately i can afford it :D

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by kao on 08-13-2006 at 11:41 AM

i'd say go for 2gb of 1066MHz DDR2 ram instead, and like dt said, don't get widescreen if it's to be a primary monitor.

e.g of what i'm getting after payday ;p

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by flanders56 on 08-13-2006 at 02:26 PM

need more peeps to give negative or positive comments please ... would you buy this computer!?

RE: wOuLd YoU BuY ThIs? by Kenji on 08-15-2006 at 06:49 PM

Just get the damn pc!

RE: Would you buy this? by cloudhunter on 08-15-2006 at 06:51 PM

Heh, I second that. If you can afford it, and justify it, by all means get it.

In fact, screw justifying it :refuck: :P

Cloudy

RE: Would you buy this? by lrac522 on 08-16-2006 at 04:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flanders56
need more peeps to give negative or positive comments please ... would you buy this computer!?
quote:
Originally posted by flanders56
ugh... commonn peoplelelel
I think he's just playing with us...