Shoutbox

[Idea] space replacement to emoticon. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. (/showthread.php?tid=64755)

[Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by dodos622 on 08-10-2006 at 08:57 PM

Hi,

Back in the old days it was possible to use a space for a shortcut for a emoticon.

So with this line: "Hello how are you?"

Looks like: "Hello(L)how(L)are(L)you?"

But now in MSN 7 and up, this function is removed.
My idea is to make a script that "scans" for spaces and replace it with you favorite emoticon shortcut.

I can only program in Visual Basic. I tried to learn script, but I don't understand it.

Maybe a nice option is to activate the script by typing 2 spaces ("  ") and stop the script again with 2 spaces.

I hope somebody likes that idea and make the script for us.

Greetings,

Dodos622

RE: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by Huhu_Manix on 08-10-2006 at 09:05 PM

You don't understand javascript ?? O_o

code:
function OnEvent_ChatWndSendMessage(ChatWnd,Message){
while(Message.indexOf(" ")!=-1)Message=Message.replace(" ", "(l)");
return Message;
}

RE: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by dodos622 on 08-10-2006 at 09:10 PM

It sounds so easy if you see the answer.

But yes I dont understand javascript. :( shame on me, but I cant find good books or sites (in Dutch), wich can help me.

I am just a Visual Basic programmer who dreams back to the good old days of QuickBasic and the MSX.

Thanks alot for the script and I try it out.

:D

RE: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by andrey on 08-10-2006 at 09:11 PM

[Image: msn_goat.gif]don't[Image: msn_goat.gif]you[Image: msn_goat.gif]think[Image: msn_goat.gif]that[Image: msn_goat.gif]this[Image: msn_goat.gif]would[Image: msn_goat.gif]be[Image: msn_goat.gif]a[Image: msn_goat.gif]bit[Image: msn_goat.gif]annoying[Image: msn_goat.gif]?[Image: msn_goat.gif]:-/[Image: msn_goat.gif]

I would rethink using that before annoying my contacts...:wink:

RE: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by dodos622 on 08-10-2006 at 09:21 PM

I have some emoticons who are very discrete. It looks just nice.

I just like it because it remembers me of the old days.

(There was a girl who shows me the option) ;)

And you know, some people use so many emoticons that you cant read anymore what they saying, without to look what shortcut is used.

RE: RE: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by Huhu_Manix on 08-10-2006 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dodos622

But yes I dont understand javascript. :( shame on me, but I cant find good books or sites (in Dutch), wich can help me.

I am just a Visual Basic programmer who dreams back to the good old days of QuickBasic and the MSX.

A book ? Just look at some script, javascript is the easier language i've ever seen !

for variable : var gna = "a string";
for function : function youpi(arg1, arg2){}

With only this you can do what you want...

I've made all my scripts "Huhu" 1 one day after begin to learn javascript...

EDIT : Sorry if i was direct... :$ But if you can code with javascript, you can easly code with javascript. Just try again !
RE: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by leachy08 on 08-11-2006 at 03:03 PM

function OnEvent_ChatWndSendMessage(ChatWnd, Message) {
    do {
        Message.replace(" ", "emoshortcut")
        strpos = Message.indexOf(" ")
    } while (strpos != -1)
)

That should do it. I think... Replace emoshortcut with your emotion like :)

RE: RE: [Idea] space replacement to emoticon. by Anton on 08-11-2006 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dodos622

I found a site on Google: http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp. If you want a site in Dutch you can search on Google with for exemple "learn javascript" (of course i Dutch, not in English). You can try in html until you can it, and then read the Script Documentation. If you get any problems, you can ask them on this forum, and probably get answers.