Shoutbox

[REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones (/showthread.php?tid=64767)

[REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 08-11-2006 at 12:46 AM

I really wonder if someone would like to make a script like that, since we users have been forced for ages to use default emoticons in conversations for common expressions like smiling, laughing, feeling sorry, etc.., and, you know, those emoticons REALLY suck. ;)

Well, I'd like to do that on my own but I don't have any knowledge nor I have time to sit down and study how to do the whole thing, so I hope someone takes my suggestion and gives it shape somehow. :D

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by kotjze on 08-11-2006 at 01:10 AM

Wouldn't the person you're talking to need to have it too so they would ee the new emoticons? Why not just add custom ones and use those instead of trying to replace the old ones?

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 08-11-2006 at 01:17 AM

It's easy: I can't associate custom emoticons to the keyb combinations for default emoticons, such as :] and :[ (I wrote square parenthesis here, but I clearly intended round ones), since these combinations are already in use by the default emoticons themselves.

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by cloudhunter on 08-11-2006 at 01:20 AM

I remember stuffplug had the feature to assign custom emoticons even if they are being used by internal shortcuts... I don't know if it will be included in new one though...

Cloudy

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 08-11-2006 at 01:25 AM

That feature is nowhere to be found in the official exclusive preview published some time ago, though. I don't really know why it has been dropped by TheBlasphemer, StuffPlug3's developer.

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Huhu_Manix on 08-11-2006 at 01:27 AM

It can be only do with your sended message. :s

Take this :

code:
function OnEvent_ChatWndSendMessage(ChatWnd,Message){
     Message = replace(Message, ":)", "*smile*");
     Message = replace(Message, ":$", "*feeling sorry*");

return Message;
}

function replace(txt, a, b){
    if(a.indexOf(b)==-1){while(txt.indexOf(a)!=-1)txt=txt.replace(a, b);}
    return txt;
}

There's a bad replace function because i don't know to use "replace(/gnagna/, "");" sorry.
RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 08-11-2006 at 01:30 AM

Hence can it not be done? :(

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by cloudhunter on 08-11-2006 at 01:32 AM

It can defineitely be done... It was in stuffplug ng. It can't be done without advanced hooking though.

It may be in stuffplug, it might not. You could request it in the stuffplug forums....

Cloudy

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Huhu_Manix on 08-11-2006 at 01:33 AM

When your contact send you a message, there's X char. And if you replace ':)' to '*smile*', the end of the text can't be write. You can replace with only the same length.

code:
function OnEvent_ChatWndReceiveMessage(ChatWnd, Origin, Message, MessageKind){
   Message = replace(Message, ":)", "xx");

return Message;
}

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 08-11-2006 at 01:39 AM

To cloudhunter: Already requested but noone answered. If noone releases it as a single script, well, let's hope TheBlasphemer adds it as a last minute option in his SP3 at least (but, judging from the preview I linked above, we can't rely on that).

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by cloudhunter on 08-11-2006 at 01:42 AM

Plus Huhu_Manix, that wouldn't replace their emoticons with a custom one.

Your replacing on sending message would work though, however people using web messengers or certain desktop messenger don't see the custom emotes.

Cloudy

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 08-11-2006 at 01:46 AM

Now actually all these problems can be the reason why the feature has been dropped from the upcoming SP3.

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by cloudhunter on 08-11-2006 at 01:48 AM

Nah, not related. If you replace your emoticons using a standard shortcut like ":)" people without custom emotes will just see ":)" instead of your emote. It is huhus method of replacing the strings that caused the problems, as im sure not many messengers use "smile*" as a smile shortcut...

RE: RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Huhu_Manix on 08-11-2006 at 01:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudhunter
Plus Huhu_Manix, that wouldn't replace their emoticons with a custom one.

Your replacing on sending message would work though, however people using web messengers or certain desktop messenger don't see the custom emotes.

Cloudy

If he choose a shortcut with same length it can be done.
RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by cloudhunter on 08-11-2006 at 02:04 AM

But it will just replace the emoticon with text, even if you set an emote to be "xx", because it is the incoming emote, not the outgoing emote. You can't change what messenger sees someone elses emotes as without hooking.

Cloudy

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Huhu_Manix on 08-11-2006 at 02:08 AM

So I can't do this... ^^

I think you've to waiting for stuffplug ! :s

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by cloudhunter on 08-11-2006 at 02:12 AM

Stuffplug probably wont for people sending you smilies, but might do with your sending smilies, which is what he wants...

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Yetike on 01-03-2007 at 06:36 AM

I have posted the emoticon replacement bug for the very same reason - and it has been fixed in the latest release.

All you have to do is go to Quick Texts, type the code of the emoticon you want to replace with the code of the new emoticon - and there you go!

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by AmbulanceX on 01-03-2007 at 06:59 AM

is the new stuffplug ever coming out?

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by prashker on 01-03-2007 at 07:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by AmbulanceX
is the new stuffplug ever coming out?

It's out in beta. But some features do not work at the moment.

http://www.StuffPlug.com
RE: RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 01-03-2007 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Yetike
I have posted the emoticon replacement bug for the very same reason - and it has been fixed in the latest release.

All you have to do is go to Quick Texts, type the code of the emoticon you want to replace with the code of the new emoticon - and there you go!

Do you mean that installing the very latest StuffPlug beta I'll be able to do the editing?
RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Thor on 01-03-2007 at 10:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Griffith
Do you mean that installing the very latest StuffPlug beta I'll be able to do the editing?
'As I've discovered, no.

I have not found that feature, but I'd really like it to comeback. :)

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 01-03-2007 at 10:10 AM

So, why was he saying that, in your opinion? *-)

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Thor on 01-03-2007 at 10:28 AM

quote:
So, why was he saying that, in your opinion? *-)
err... .S

SonicSam told us that there was a beta out, remember it's a beta and not the final. Features may be diffrent in the final version.

As of the moment, the feature is not included in SP3. Maybe it will be later, or maybe not.
RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 01-03-2007 at 10:36 AM

I was referring to what Yetike said. :D

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Thor on 01-03-2007 at 10:42 AM

quote:
I was referring to what Yetike said. :D
Oh, well that will not do it as it does in StuffPlug NG.
It will be replaced, but it will a diffrent smiley that is sent (not the : ) smiley).
RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Mad_Griffith on 01-03-2007 at 10:49 AM

are you saying that, even if I change the default keys to show non-default emoticons (which is what I want), just the default emoticon will be sent ultimately?

RE: [REQ.] Replacing default, ugly emoticons with custom ones by Matti on 01-03-2007 at 11:12 AM

I managed to replace my Messenger emoticons in StuffPlug-NG, and by upgrading to Windows Live Messenger, they just stayed. :)

What you could do:

1. Downgrade to MSN Messenger 7.5 with Messenger Plus! 3(*) and StuffPlug-NG.
  2. Enable the feature in SP-NG.
  3. Set the shortcut of your emoticons to one of Messenger's shortcuts.
  4. Upgrade again.
Of course, this is a very nasty work-around but I think it can work.

* You don't have to uninstall Messenger Plus! Live since it can work next to Messenger Plus! 3.