Shoutbox

Chat Logging not logging all chats - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Chat Logging not logging all chats (/showthread.php?tid=64819)

Chat Logging not logging all chats by kop48 on 08-12-2006 at 08:38 AM

Hey, I tend to close my conversation windows pretty regularly and I've noticed that Plus! Live does not catch all of my chats. From what I've been able to pick, it tends to miss the last part of anything that was said as I closed the window, but I'm not sure if it's just narrowed down to that.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Shady IIV on 08-16-2006 at 05:01 PM

Yes! I have exactly the same problem.

With MSN 7.5 and Messenger Plus everything worked fine. But the new LIVE Messenger and Messenger Plus Live just dont work right.

- Doenst catch all chats
- Sometimes the Date is wrong
- Recently i found a 1 week old conversation mixed up with a new one. And the new one is not even full. Just parts.

:'(

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by kop48 on 08-17-2006 at 07:37 AM

Any Beta Testers or Developer(s) know of this?

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Patchou on 08-17-2006 at 06:17 PM

are your chat logs encrypted? are they html or txt?

Also, can you confirm that both of you tend to often close your chat windows and that its always the end of the chat thats not logged?

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by kop48 on 08-17-2006 at 10:32 PM

No, they're not encrypted. They are HTML. I can confirm that I often close my chat windows. I've only noticed the tail end of messages being chopped off. Also, from what I've noticed, it's usually only the last message sent.

Cheers Patchou!

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by gordontse on 08-26-2006 at 07:59 AM

how do i make msn live not save chat logs?

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by kop48 on 08-27-2006 at 07:58 AM

Plus! Live Preferences -> Conversations -> Chat Logging

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by FineWolf on 08-28-2006 at 04:45 AM

I get this issue too... Annoying when you rely heavily on your logs. (Also often close the windows). It seems to happen alot when you receive a new message right after you close the window.

MPL! 4.01.0.240 (Unencrypted HTML Chat Logs, scripts: NameCustomizer)
WLM 8.0.0812.0 (Previous versions also, no other addons running)
Windows XP SP2 (With all updates installed till 27.08.2006)

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Jesus on 08-28-2006 at 10:32 AM

Some parts were missing in my chatlogs too, like they only get updated every x seconds/minutes...
I turned logging off, it's not really useful this way...

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Patchou on 08-30-2006 at 06:15 PM

I really want to fix that problem but I still can't find it. Please confirm that the text that's not logged is the the last message received in the chat and not the first one. Also, can you think of any reason triggering the problem? your status, the timing, etc...). The more information the better, especially if you foudn a way to always reproduce the problem (my email is mplus@patchou.com).

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Jesus on 08-30-2006 at 09:44 PM

well I deleted all the logs I had, but I've turned logging back on to see if the problem reoccurs and if so, i'll provide you with some more info.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Rogier21 on 08-31-2006 at 09:23 AM

I notice a weird problem, if somebody sends you a message when you are not online (lets say at 9:01) and I open my messenger at 11:01 and that person is gone but i still get that offline message, the time in the Log will say the time when I get  it (11:01), not the real time it has been send (09:01)

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by FineWolf on 08-31-2006 at 10:24 PM

The first message is being skipped... That is, if the contact initiated the window.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by FineWolf on 09-06-2006 at 08:34 PM

Any updates on this bug?

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 10-15-2006 at 06:54 AM

I find this happening quite frequently too, when I close the window.

It happens with both html and text logs, I am pretty sure, as I seem to recall cahnging to txt files to see if it was a html bug to try to get around it. As such, it seems to be from when the log script catches the text and dumps it to file, rather than a bug with either of the dump formats.

This is on WLM 8.0.0812 w/ Plus 4.01.0.240.

If I close the convo window quickly, it fails to log the first message recieved:

IE:

1: contact window opens with someone sending me a message
2: I reply
3: they counter-reply
4: I reply again and close window

My reply, their counter-reply and my other reply will be logged, but their first message won't be.

I hope I've given enough info. If you need any more, just ask.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by markcubed on 10-22-2006 at 04:44 PM

Sup',

I've been getting this issue since Messenger Plus! Live was released, but never bothered reporting it till now.

Just as with the other people in this thread, I lose the first message sent to me.

It's been annoying, but only now taken the time to try and search for a solution.

Logs at HTML and unencrypted. Happy to forward a settings file if it'll help.

Regards,
Mark

Edit: I am up to date on both Live Messenger / Plus!

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by krissyafc on 10-24-2006 at 02:08 PM

Can it be that when you send somthing it takes say 2 minutes to go to the chat logg so if you wait a while it will all be there.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 10-24-2006 at 04:02 PM

No, it NEVER appears. I've looked at several-month-old logs and they are still missing the messages. It simply never writes them to the logfile.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by krissyafc on 10-24-2006 at 04:36 PM

well try to keep the convo open For ten minutes that might work

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 10-24-2006 at 04:39 PM

Yes, leaving the conversation window open for a while will guarantee logging of all chats, but I tend to try to keep my taskbar clear as much as possible so I tend to type a message then immediately hit escape to close the window - it's now habit. (Yes, I know of tabbed chatting, as well as grouped taskbar items, but do not wish to use either). It's not a matter of simply avoiding the bug - that's more than possible by keeping open the window - it's a case of trying to fix the bug so we don't have to avoid it. Unfortunately, I think the powers that be (Patchou, etc) have gone AWOL or simply have no idea about this one. :(

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by krissyafc on 10-24-2006 at 04:48 PM

try turning off the chat logging then put it on again

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 10-24-2006 at 04:53 PM

Still no go. Just tried it then. Same bug appears. I didn't think it would've helped too much given that other people also experience it.

I think it may be to do with under what conditions trigger the writing of chat in a window to the logfile. IE: it writes when you send a message, and when you recieve a message after you've sent one or after they've sent one, but not if it's the first message they've sent that you recieve, prior to all of that.

Alas, I have no ability to find the bug in code :(

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by krissyafc on 10-24-2006 at 04:54 PM

can you show me a screen shot of the problem

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 10-24-2006 at 05:02 PM

[Image: msnbuged8.png]

You'll note that I messaged him with "ok message me again to recreate this smegging bug" and then closed the window. He then replied, as can be seen in the acutal chat window, with "indeed" and then I replied "ta", however in the logfile, "indeed" does not exist, and nor will it ever appear later on unless I leave that chat window open for a long time.

Another thing to note that with each time I close/reopen a chat window, it considers it a new session as far as logging goes. This never used to be the case in versions prior to MSN live! plus - it had some sort of timeout where it took, say, 5 minutes of no active conversation before it considered the last session to have ended and the new one to have begun. If I had done the same thing in older versions, it would've simply considered it all one session and logged all text. I figure this may help to pinpoint down the bug if Patchou reads this.

Anyhow, it's 3am here so I'm off to bed. Adios.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by krissyafc on 10-24-2006 at 05:05 PM

Ok i think i know ...... were did you dowlnload wlm from

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 10-24-2006 at 05:07 PM

http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
It's version 8.0.0812 - the latest they've put up there.

I have modified it with apatch (as can be seen by the rather simple view of it) but I'd not see why that should affect the execution of a script that is included as part of Messenger Plus. If it is, however, then I'm going to have to change one of them. :(

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by krissyafc on 10-24-2006 at 05:27 PM

ok uninstall it then install it again ( remember to save contacts )

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by haydos on 10-24-2006 at 05:53 PM

Reinstalling WLM has about 0% of helping you with this to be honest, but back onto the problem...

In the screenshot posted, I recall seeing this thread in the beta testers section a few months back. It appeared to be fixed at that stage so it could be something reocurring.

I think it's something to do with the fact when your contact sends that first message the window isn't already created so Plus! Live finds it a bit more difficult to log for one reason or another... hopefully next time Patchou pops into the forums he'll give it another look, as there's no simple fix at the moment.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by CookieRevised on 10-24-2006 at 11:11 PM

[OFF TOPIC RANT]

krissyafc,

It is nice you're trying to help, but can you please NOT post when you don't know what you're talking about.

The only senseable thing you've did in this thread is asking for a screenshot (and even that wasn't really needed as the problem has been described clearly already)...

quote:
Originally posted by krissyafc
Can it be that when you send somthing it takes say 2 minutes to go to the chat logg so if you wait a while it will all be there.
(..)
well try to keep the convo open For ten minutes that might work
That is VERY clearly not the case. It has been stated several times that a first message isn't logged, but all the others afterwards are.

quote:
try turning off the chat logging then put it on again
Messages are being logged, it is not that nothing is logged.

quote:
Ok i think i know ...... were did you dowlnload wlm from
Hasn't got todo with anything.

quote:
ok uninstall it then install it again ( remember to save contacts )
If it is a bug it is going to be present in the re-install too. It is very clear that the problem is not because of a "bad" installation. Also, you never need to save contacts when uninstalling ad/or re-installing. Contacts are kept on the msn servers

[/OFF TOPIC RANT]
RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 10-24-2006 at 11:35 PM

Correct - reinstalling won't assist given that this problem has spanned multiple computers and multiple reformats. It's not a bug to do with corrupted files, but rather the code itself.

Ah well, here's hoping the big man himself has some idea.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats. by crypteus on 01-14-2007 at 11:01 PM

Hi all. Any updates regarding this issue?
As FineWolf mentioned, it takes place whenever a contact initiates a conversation. This first message she/he will sent, will not be logged.

Thank you in advance and keep up the excellent work.
Fingers crossed!

C out.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 01-15-2007 at 02:35 AM

Not that I know of. There's nothing more I can really add to help since I can't view code or anything.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by FineWolf on 01-15-2007 at 05:54 AM

I'm about to test via a script if Messenger Plus! is in fact caching all messages but not logging them all, or if Plus! is missing a few messages (ie.: first one).

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 01-15-2007 at 05:55 AM

If you need help feel free to ask. I am moderately technical so can possibly help a little but I wouldn't be able to dive into your scripts or anything.

RE: RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by FineWolf on 01-15-2007 at 05:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Assasinator_2
If you need help feel free to ask. I am moderately technical so can possibly help a little but I wouldn't be able to dive into your scripts or anything.

I'm just making a script that beeps everytime a message is received... Nothing complicated... But if it doesn't beep on the first message, it basically means that logging is not in cause.
RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Assasinator_2 on 01-15-2007 at 05:59 AM

ah yes that makes sense. If it doesn't beep then you know messenger plus is not grabbing the message and thus has no chance of logging, rather than plus seeing it but not correctly executing the logging file append procedure

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by FineWolf on 01-15-2007 at 06:21 AM

Initial Test Result:

Messenger Plus! does catch the MessageReceive Event but doesn't log the message. It all started when I finished a sentence with a emoticon (;p in this case) but as the test was only of a session's length, I can't prove as of right now that this is (and I see no reason why is would be) the problem. But I can say that the problem is with the Logging code and not Messenger Plus! event handling.

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by matthew1471 on 10-17-2007 at 10:06 PM

I also experience this problem, it happens when your contact says something to you.

I believe it occurs when your contact is the first person to say something to you after you have closed the window.

Matt

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by Patchou on 10-18-2007 at 07:29 PM

This bug may be fixed in the next version of MEssenger Plus!. If it is not, please post again, thanks :).

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by matthew1471 on 04-17-2008 at 09:35 AM

It's still not fixed, my friends (who have only now just got into the bad habbit of quickly replying and then immediatly closing conversations) have started commenting on it now too.

In searching to try and find these topics I found this recent duplicate: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=80957

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by ahmetgns on 04-18-2008 at 08:28 PM

Patchou said that this is a Messenger bug, not Plus! bug, here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=81...d=883896#pid883896

Or I am mistaken.

RE: RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by bradrobbo on 04-25-2008 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
This bug may be fixed in the next version of MEssenger Plus!. If it is not, please post again, thanks :).

yay!...(Y) i have this same problem (its with using txt file logging rather than the new one (i don't like it,(N) laggy to open and it didn't copy the smileys (at first at least, it may now i've not used it, i think the txt file is nicer anyway)

My version info:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Windows Live Messenger 8.5.1018
Messenger Plus! Live 4.60.0.324

It's the first line of chat that a contact sends that isn't logged, first line/message of a new window.
RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by bradrobbo on 06-04-2008 at 05:49 PM

I hope that was enough information that i gave... was it? anything else you need to know, like what settings i have for chat logs, i will be happy to supply you with :).

Its continually an annoyance and I just decided to come back to this thread now to see if there's any news on it =).

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by timothyholt506 on 07-09-2008 at 04:34 PM

I am getting a very annoying problem where it sometimes doesn't log any of the conversation at all if the conversation is started by my contact. The Plus button in the conversation window doesn't even work when I get this problem and have to close and reopen the window. I am using the latest version of Plus. Windows Live Messenger didn't even save my last conversation to the message history so it was completely lost. I am very annoyed with the reliability of chat logging. Is there any workaround for this problem?

RE: Chat Logging not logging all chats by CookieRevised on 07-11-2008 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by timothyholt506
I am getting a very annoying problem where it sometimes doesn't log any of the conversation at all if the conversation is started by my contact. The Plus button in the conversation window doesn't even work when I get this problem and have to close and reopen the window. I am using the latest version of Plus. Windows Live Messenger didn't even save my last conversation to the message history so it was completely lost. I am very annoyed with the reliability of chat logging. Is there any workaround for this problem?
The reason that the Plus! icon didn't even worked is a strong indication that something is preventing Plus! from working properly. So check if you don't have any other programs running at that moment which could prevent the proper workings of Plus!, like anti-virus stuff, other Messenger or Windows addons or patches, etc