Shoutbox

Help choosing please. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Help choosing please. (/showthread.php?tid=64915)

Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-14-2006 at 05:51 PM

Well my grandma and my aunty said they would gang up and get a laptop for my birthday. They asked me to find a laptop that i like and they will tell me if they will let me have it.
So here are the specs i would like please:

• Built in wifi
  • Minimum 1Gb of ram
  • 1.7Ghx+ Cpu
  • The shiny display :P (can't remember name i think its called "chrystalbrite" or something)
  • Nice design
  • Not too thick
  • dvd rw+
  • USB 2.0 ports
  • A decentish GPU
Thats all I can remeber.
Thanks,
Nathan
RE: Help choosing please. by philipe on 08-14-2006 at 06:03 PM

If I were you, I'd definately get a Mac Book or a Mac Book Pro. Although Mac OSX is the default operating system on both, you can still install Windows on it by downloading a software called Boot Camp. You can only get the glossy display on the Mac Book Pro which also has a more decent graphics card and a sleeker design (IMO).

RE: Help choosing please. by Stigmata on 08-14-2006 at 06:15 PM

which country are you from?

RE: Help choosing please. by Zahid™ on 08-14-2006 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
which country are you from?
quote:
Originally posted by Profile
quote:
Chester is the county town of Cheshire in North West England.

RE: Help choosing please. by Vimto on 08-14-2006 at 07:13 PM

Yeah I'd go with Dell. Its much cheaper and you can get what you want for less than you'd pay in a shop. They have fabulous Laptops :drool:

* Vimto makes a mental note "Must get new laptop"

RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-14-2006 at 07:55 PM

I found this laptop:
[url=http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/acer-aspire_5652_wlmi-laptop-3-n2.htm#[url]
What do you think?

RE: Help choosing please. by Dr4g0n on 08-14-2006 at 10:41 PM

I'd have to say go for a Mac Book Pro, it's got everything you're after, they're reliable and you'll have OSX and Windows (using Boot Camp).

Plus they look nice too =p

RE: Help choosing please. by aNILEator on 08-15-2006 at 12:03 AM

well the current dell laptops have had reports of exploding and current macbooks can burn your legs what a wonderful world we live in :Di think that you should just get what you feel is right, bearing in mind it is alot of money that they will be spending on you so i'lll leave it up to you

RE: Help choosing please. by Kenji on 08-15-2006 at 12:22 AM

Go in the direction of Packard bell... there all good:P

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
well the current dell laptops have had reports of exploding

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550 :O
RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-15-2006 at 10:19 AM

Well,
I have found two of the same models.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=265257
&
http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/acer-aspire_5672wlmi_v1-laptop-3-n2.htm
One has 2gb of ram and the other has only 1gb.
the one with 1gb of ram has a 512mb gpu and the other one only has 128mb. one has crap software that comes with it the one with 1gb of ram doesnt :/
Look at the differnces and tell me the difference and which one i should go for.
Thasnk. This is pretty urgent as i might be getting it today :D
Thanks,
Nathan

RE: Help choosing please. by CookieRevised on 08-15-2006 at 10:37 AM

I would go for the Acer Aspire 5672 (the one with 1gb memory).

It's nice to have 2gb of memory, but even having 1gb is for almost everything way more than enough.

A harddisk of 100gb is also not that less than having 120gb. So not much difference there.

What can make a difference in everyday use is the memory the graphics card is using, so if I could choose, I'd choose the Aspire 5672.

PS: the software is identical on both (don't know where you get that it has totally difference "crap" software though), except for 1 program. Eventhough, software included should never be a factor in choosing a PC. Software can be installed/uninstalled as you wish.

RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-15-2006 at 10:42 AM

Ok thanks,
I just thought that with 2gb of ram I wouldnt have to upgrade it all, and I am getting it slightly cheaper with the 2gb of ram :S

RE: Help choosing please. by CookieRevised on 08-15-2006 at 10:49 AM

If you're worried that you can't play/run programs in a few years from now because they need +1gb of memory, you maybe should take the Aspire 5670*.

Although, I have never seen a program wich explicitly needs 2gb to run, and I very very very highly doubt such programs will exist in the near future and you are going to use them... unless you do very heavy video rendering and stuff, there is no performance difference between having 1gb or 2gb.

The main factor for me personally to choose the Aspire 5672 is the video memory of the graphics card. Although, it will make a small difference in performance, it might not be so noticeable either though. It all depends on what your priorities are (games, video, office, ...)

*given the fact that you don't already have a new laptop or pc by then.

RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-15-2006 at 10:55 AM

Would there be a battery difference with 2gb? + apparntly when this laptop is on battery the proccesors run at 998mhz. So :S

RE: Help choosing please. by CookieRevised on 08-15-2006 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Would there be a battery difference with 2gb? + apparntly when this laptop is on battery the proccesors run at 998mhz. So :S
Not that I know of (I'm not 500% certain), a bigger HDD doesn't require more battery power.

(of course a bigger HDD means useually more time to defragment and stuff. And more time means longer battery drainage... if that is what you mean).
RE: Help choosing please. by Mike on 08-15-2006 at 03:39 PM

[OFFTOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmatic
Go in the direction of Packard bell... there all good:P
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
well the current dell laptops have had reports of exploding

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550 :O
https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/ :P[/OFFTOPIC]
RE: Help choosing please. by hiqbal on 08-15-2006 at 06:32 PM

Toshiba Satellite Notebooks are very good based on my experience with more than 12 notebooks now. Dell Inspiron is a cheap and weak product.

If you can afford any range in Toshiba Satellite, get one otherwise buy an entry class in DELL Latitude Series.

RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-16-2006 at 09:59 AM

Well I am going to my grandma's today and were going to speak about it.
But tbh i really am stuck whether to get one cheaper with more ram or the more expensive one with less ram and a 512mb gpu (the other one has 128)

RE: Help choosing please. by hiqbal on 08-16-2006 at 10:15 AM

Get as much RAM as possible .. RAM is gonna be needed more than the graphics in the long run .. so priority should be more RAM .. get as much RAM as possible now as later the prices of older modules to upgrade will be expensive as well ..

RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-17-2006 at 03:37 PM

Write,
Guess what!
I've ordered the laptop but i've found somewhere were it has 2gb of ram and 512mb gpu :D. So I'm getting the best of both :D. I also got a 2 year warranty (That I had to buy seperate) And its being delivered on sunday :D

Cant wait

RE: Help choosing please. by Voldemort on 08-19-2006 at 01:57 AM

Look at user reviews for any acer.
whatever you do donīt buy one.

RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-19-2006 at 08:40 AM

Voldemort why?
It's coming tommorow. I have looked and read every single review i could find. I found approx 150 reviews. and only about 15 of them had a bad review becuase of customer service.
And its been reated out of 5, 4.7 So thats not bad.

RE: Help choosing please. by Mike on 08-19-2006 at 08:45 AM

So, which laptop did you buy?

RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-19-2006 at 08:51 AM

Acer 5672wlmi, 2gb, 512mb gpu, 1.66ghz x2, 120gb hdd and other stuff :P
Link here: http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/572_32547...CER_AS5672WLMI-166
Except i bought it from the shop, (gran insisted :P) and got a 2 year warranty :D

I have to wait for them to come :<
The tension is soo much :P
* Nathan wants it now :P
RE: Help choosing please. by Nathan on 08-20-2006 at 04:35 PM

I Have got it :D,
It doesnt get that hot, and its been on for an hour now, writing a disc etc... cpus at 100%. I don't see what everyones saying :/
Anyway im very happy with it :D

RE: Help choosing please. by Voldemort on 08-20-2006 at 05:04 PM

good luck acer.