Shoutbox

[RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN (/showthread.php?tid=64969)

[RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by davidt on 08-15-2006 at 08:36 PM

Hi All,

I wrote this today as my first crack at scripting.

[Image: msgr_screen_1.jpg]

http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/download/msgr.plsc

msgr allows you to share your flickr photos with your friends over MSN.

3 steps to photo sharing:

1) install msgr

2) type '/script flickr find (flickr username)' in a conversation

3) select photos to share

This is very useful as:

- it is quicker than going to flickr yourself and finding a URL
- looking for photos on your hard disk is clunky and time consuming. With msgr you get to flick between categories and see a preview of each picture - much easier than using MSN's Send File dialog.

As the logo says, this is a Beta (how very Web 2.0). You CAN:

- browse photos and photo sets by on a per-user basis
- share photos

You CANNOT yet

- switch between users in the msgr window. You will need to exit and call msgr again with a different username
- go past photo #36. I will add pagination for the release version, promise! :)

This is only a day's work and a beta so please, be kind ;)

Please reply - any comments / recommendations / feature ideas are all greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by alexp2_ad on 08-15-2006 at 09:02 PM

First, a problem:
I'm getting automation server can't create object for the thingy on line 80.

OK, couple suggestions:

1.  Add a menu, preferably also keeping the used usernames in memory.
2.  Add a normal command, no need to use /script.

Oh, and LMFAO at you using the web 2.0 logo maker. ;)

EDIT:  Screenshots look pretty cool though, but if you think "it's only a days work" and such, why not just keep writing it till it is ready?  If you did all that in a day, you could have it polished up and working really nicely in 2.  No need to rush a release, it'll just make people less keen to try it if they used the first version and it didn't work.

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by Yil2201 on 08-15-2006 at 09:25 PM

Screenshot sounds so great! Congrulations, a very great and cool and useful idea !! Make it final and working ;)

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by davidt on 08-15-2006 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alexp2_ad
First, a problem:
I'm getting automation server can't create object for the thingy on line 80.

You don't have MSXML 4.0 installed - sorry I missed this, but my friend who tested it did have it installed so I forgot about that dependency. You can download it from this web site

http://alexfung.info/xml4dl.htm

or if you don't feel comfortable with that you can get it direct from microsoft.

quote:
OK, couple suggestions:

1.  Add a menu, preferably also keeping the used usernames in memory.
2.  Add a normal command, no need to use /script.

Menu's on the way - as are the saved usernames (they will appear in the dropdown box top left on the photo browser). Not sure yet on how to get normal commands to work - I have programmed one in in scriptinfo.xml and it shows in the dropdown box but I get a 'not a valid command' error. Will address all these issues tomorrow.

quote:
Oh, and LMFAO at you using the web 2.0 logo maker.
fitting, isn't it? :)

quote:
EDIT:  Screenshots look pretty cool though, but if you think "it's only a days work" and such, why not just keep writing it till it is ready?  If you did all that in a day, you could have it polished up and working really nicely in 2.  No need to rush a release, it'll just make people less keen to try it if they used the first version and it didn't work.

Agreed - I don't plan to leave it at this. I simply released this to the community to let you have a play around with the core mechanics of the script. I plan to add all the features I described in the first post, plus any more idea people have. I hope to get a new version out perhaps at the weekend - I won't have any more completely free days like today to code.

thanks for the feedback.

quote:
Originally posted by Yil2201
Screenshot sounds so great! Congrulations, a very great and cool and useful idea !! Make it final and working 

Cheers!
RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by heissam on 08-16-2006 at 06:33 AM

hi,

nice script, can you change it to picasaweg from google too??

greetz

heissam

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by Yil2201 on 08-16-2006 at 06:54 AM

[Image: (reflect)Yil22012.0Beta.png]

:D:) Excellent, Thanks to alexp2_ad, i have a Web2.0 logo :P

Seriously, PicasaWebAlbum is a new service but it is by Google so it will take time to peolpe go on it and use it, but i think people will prefer PicasaWeb Album coz you have 100Mb and no transfer limit... is there a way to make it compatible with PicasaWeb ?

See you!
RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by heissam on 08-16-2006 at 07:06 AM

you have 250 MB :-) :-) :-)

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by davidt on 08-16-2006 at 08:36 AM

If Picasaweb has an API similar to flickr's, then yes I will look into it once I've finished this.

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by Yil2201 on 08-16-2006 at 08:59 AM

250Mb !! Better than i thought ! I had 100Mb  during the private test session ... Cool! :P

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by saralk on 08-16-2006 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidt
[Image: msgr_screen_1.jpg]

Bottom row, third from the left, the guy at the very end of the photo, is me :P

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by davidt on 08-16-2006 at 10:39 AM

And I am also bottom row, third from left, foremost.

RE: [RELEASE] msgr - Share your Flickr photos with your friends over MSN by saralk on 08-16-2006 at 12:48 PM

And Pranav, the person who David is talking to in the screenshot is top row, extreme right.

Will, who's flickr account it is, is second from the bottom, third from the right.

Matty, who has long hair, is to the left of the afformentioned picture.