Shoutbox

[Request] HotKeys - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Request] HotKeys (/showthread.php?tid=64995)

[Request] HotKeys by scott2010_h on 08-16-2006 at 07:13 AM

Alright well here the low-down on the idea. Say that you are at a friend’s house and you forgot to log-off or shut down your computer. Well I was wondering if someone could make a script that could shutdown or log-off you computer (you could accomplish this by emulating keyboard keys) by some one typing something (like a password) into a convo with you.

Thanks in advance

RE: [Request] HotKeys by Daniel on 08-16-2006 at 07:17 AM

lol that would be a very insecure script, imagine if somebody discovered the passphrase you use and then sent it to you while you were in the middle of doing something important?

RE: [Request] HotKeys by CookieRevised on 08-16-2006 at 07:21 AM

As with all things, don't hand out the password to anybody.... Everything password related like that is equally (in)secure.

Anyways, yes it is very possible (and easy) to make.

Some things I would implement if I would make something like that:
1) do not react and the password when you are in a multi-convo
2) show a time delayed popup (eg: 1 minute) as soon as the password is recieved, so in case of mistakes (and someone did discover the password and typed it to you) you could always cancel it out in time.

RE: [Request] HotKeys by Ezra on 08-16-2006 at 09:03 AM

I'm trying to make somethig like this.

It will do all the things cookie suggested :-)

!sht <passphrase> [optional <delay>] [optional <comment message>]
!shtcancel

With a nice preferences screen to choose a passphrase and default delay.

RE: [Request] HotKeys by step_on_hen on 08-16-2006 at 09:51 AM

hmm,  I see what you're trying to do :) 

shutdown.exe,  logout.exe both system directory,  so no need for anything past that,  and only if you have hmm,  1 hour idleness?

oh,  and passcode changes every time you log in...  (send to email,  and toast it)

those are just my ideas :D

RE: [Request] HotKeys by saralk on 08-16-2006 at 09:53 AM

I'll make the script, hold on about 15 minutes.

RE: [Request] HotKeys by Ezra on 08-18-2006 at 07:04 PM

Well. What I have now is this.

!sht <passphrase> will shut the computer down in xx amout of time.
!shtcancel <passphrase> will cancel the shutdown when it's still within the time limit.

On the pc itself there will be a pop-up with a live counter and a comment message.

There's a preferences screen to choose the delay, comment and passphrase.

The settings are saved in the registry, when for some reason the registry can't be read (and first startup) the preferences screen will come up, and you need to fill all the boxes else it will refuse to close and when pressing cancel or X the script will be disabled.

I don't really feel like adding more features to this script so, whoever wants to continue be my guest. :-)

P.S: Keep your password save, if you think anyone knows it, change it...
The password is saved in the registry as plain text...

IF anyone knows your password and tries to shutdown your computer you can either cancel it with !shtcancel <passphrase> or start->run "shutdown -a"

RE: [Request] HotKeys by CookieRevised on 08-19-2006 at 12:30 PM

cool,

although the delayed popup box I had in mind would be a msgplus dialog since you can't easly close the shutdown.exe popup (you can't cancel it out using ALT-F4, ESC, pressing a cancel button, etc...). The stuff in the shutdown.exe dialog can be put into the msgplus dialog too of course...

But this will do the trick too

;)