Shoutbox

Windows, Hard disk problem. my comps on deathbed! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows, Hard disk problem. my comps on deathbed! (/showthread.php?tid=65015)

Windows, Hard disk problem. my comps on deathbed! by Rubber Stamp on 08-16-2006 at 04:31 PM

i have been having lots of trouble with my computer lately. since yesterday, my comp has gone very very slow. the mouse reacts many seconds after i move it. and i takes almost 10 minutes for the win xp bar to load.
also, i have two hard disks, one 40 GB and one 80 GB, and when i started my comp just now, My Computer shows only the two drives of the 40 GB HD, on which windows is installed. but i checked BIOS and it is detecting both the hard disks.
then i thought reinstalling windows might help, but when i start installing, i get the blue coloured screen, but it gets stuck at "SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS", and it wont move any furthur after that, so i cant even install a fresh copy of windows. i tried windows restore. it didnt work.
i am using win xp sp2
intel motherboard, processor
1 GB Ram.
plz help me with this.

RE: Windows, Hard disk problem. my comps on deathbed! by Sunshine on 08-16-2006 at 04:45 PM

I had problems like that too..Windows not detecting second HDD...then finally it stopped recognising it in total and i got a booterror on restart...

Then suddenly windows loaded normally again after turning it off and on again. So i went and bought a second HDD (certainly the HDD had died) and put that in. Next day Windows didn't recognize my second HDD again (the new one uhuh!!!), so i thought how about the IDE cable? I replaced that one and sofar so good.

I too suffer from a slow computer...still...

Seeing from what you've tried i fear a reformat and reinstall of Windows is needed...and possibly replacing the IDE cable.

RE: Windows, Hard disk problem. my comps on deathbed! by Rubber Stamp on 08-16-2006 at 04:56 PM

i tried formating. i cant even do that. it gets stuck at "setup is starting windows". right now, my mouse pointer is stuck at one place, i am using the keyboard to operate the comp. plz plz help me. this really sucks. and the second hard drive is a SATA drive, so i just have one red cable connecting it to the MB, and one for power.

RE: Windows, Hard disk problem. my comps on deathbed! by Kenji on 08-16-2006 at 04:58 PM

Have you got another windows disk?, if you have then try that, if that dosnt work the like sunshine said, try another IDE  or another SATA cable.

I had a problemm when i was installing windows and i had to constantly switch windows disks throuout setup as i scartched both of them :$