Shoutbox

What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? (/showthread.php?tid=65151)

What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by M73A on 08-20-2006 at 11:29 AM

well?:P

Mines gtta be quicktime, its a complete tosspiece, no matter how many times you tell it not to it insists on running on startup... it doesnt have an option in the program to stop it from loading so you have to use other ways... and then even those don't work if you load a webpage and it uses it :@

stupid program ?!?!!?!

whats your annoying applications?

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Veggie on 08-20-2006 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazmatic
Windows XP pro, stupid error messages every few mins
How did i know that was coming...

I dont think i have any annoying software, if it annoys me i dont use it.
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by M73A on 08-20-2006 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
quote:
How did i know that was coming...

I dont think i have any annoying software, if it annoys me i dont use it.

i dont use quicktime but it... on purpose, just some websites use it :(
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by alexp2_ad on 08-20-2006 at 11:34 AM

WLM.  It always signs me out and won't let me sign back in, at the worst possible times!

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by absorbation on 08-20-2006 at 11:35 AM

I think QuickTime is actually good on a Mac, but Apple arn't going to do such a wonderful job for Windows arn't they :P.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Lourix on 08-20-2006 at 11:36 AM

Mine is chat watch as I cant uninstall it.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by ShawnZ on 08-20-2006 at 11:38 AM

"winblowz because M$ wrote it"

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by GiantSpider on 08-20-2006 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
Mines gtta be quicktime
Quicktime Alternative

Mine is Total Video Converter, it only convert one thing, then it closes itself, so you gotta open it back up everytime.
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Rik on 08-20-2006 at 12:37 PM

I have to say Outlook express has i only use it to check my ISP e-mail (i lost the password :P) and it totally freezes my pc

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
quote:
Mines gtta be quicktime
Quicktime Alternative

wow, thanks (Y)
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by saralk on 08-20-2006 at 12:41 PM

quote:

Am I the only one who finds Windows stable?

I rarely have crashes, the only time I really have any trouble is when shutting down, and thats only because some non MS software decides to crash on me.
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by absorbation on 08-20-2006 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk

Windows is a very stable software indeed. There are just more chances of things going wrong because it is so big. However, other Microsoft products are just poorly coded and at the end of it, it is due to a bad project manager not keeping a high quality :P.

Edit: Does the QuickTime alterative support iTunes?
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Dempsey on 08-20-2006 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rik
I have to say Outlook express has i only use it to check my ISP e-mail (i lost the password :P)
Mail PassView

i used that before when I forgot my stored password.  It's useful. 

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by stoshrocket on 08-20-2006 at 01:18 PM

quote:
quote:

I rarely have crashes, the only time I really have any trouble is when shutting down, and thats only because some non MS software decides to crash on me.
ive got windows home on this computer and its never crashed on me... sure ive had programs that crash like WLM but not due to the OS... Anything annoying i just find an alternative tbh... No point keeping software you don't like
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Ezra on 08-20-2006 at 02:13 PM

I love Quicktime, it's a lot better than Windows Media Player at least...

My Most annoying software has to be Panda Antivirus, it's a good scanner, but it takes so much resources... I guess all live virus scanners do that... When my subscription runs out, i'm taking my changes without any virusscanners :)

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by kao on 08-20-2006 at 02:21 PM

quote:

Mines gtta be quicktime, its a complete tosspiece, no matter how many times you tell it not to it insists on running on startup... it doesnt have an option in the program to stop it from loading so you have to use other ways... and then even those don't work if you load a webpage and it uses it :@

stupid program ?!?!!?!

whats your annoying applications?
lol? mine doesn't start with startup and all works fine =p

quote:
quote:

Indeed, i almost never have a crash and it always runs fine.
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by kotjze on 08-20-2006 at 02:56 PM

None are really annoying, except Guitar Pro I guess, because most of the time when I press Ctrl-Z(undo) it gives me a French error and then I can't do anything except save and restart the program :p

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Zahid™ on 08-20-2006 at 03:00 PM

Mine was Norton Anti-virus before i uninstalled it. I don't think i have any software now maybe WLM sometimes when it takes the piss.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Supersonicdarky on 08-20-2006 at 03:00 PM

styleXP because for me, after applying a visual style and then restarting, it always reverts back to the classic xp style [Image: msn_sad.gif] I have enabled the reapply theme at startup but it takes soooooooo long [Image: msn_sad.gif]

actually most programs on startup are annoying cuz it takes forever

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by ShawnZ on 08-20-2006 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
styleXP because for me, after applying a visual style and then restarting, it always reverts back to the classic xp style I have enabled the reapply theme at startup but it takes soooooooo long

..so use the uxtheme patch? they do the exact same thing...
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by M73A on 08-20-2006 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
styleXP because for me, after applying a visual style and then restarting, it always reverts back to the classic xp style I have enabled the reapply theme at startup but it takes soooooooo long

..so use the uxtheme patch? they do the exact same thing...

i use that its very good :) the only problem is i can never remember the folder... can anyone enlighten me to where i should put themes (A)
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by tony on 08-20-2006 at 03:14 PM

i put them on My Documents / Themes :P

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by marissa on 08-20-2006 at 03:14 PM

i love paint shop pro 8 and all...
but holy crap it sucks at loading. it takes forever, and then when you go to select eraser/brush/whatever it takes soooo long becuase its "looking for new items" or something. it takes a good 10 minutes, and by the time 10minutes is up you dont want to play on paintshop pro anymore or you forget what you're doing

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Zahid™ on 08-20-2006 at 03:28 PM

quote:
i use that its very good (Smilie) the only problem is i can never remember the folder... can anyone enlighten me to where i should put themes (Smilie)
C:/WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by M73A on 08-20-2006 at 03:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
quote:
i use that its very good (Smilie) the only problem is i can never remember the folder... can anyone enlighten me to where i should put themes (Smilie)
C:/WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/

Thanks, why it got to be so awkward:P

oh another one that really grinds my gears, realplayer.... :@ it asks me to update everytime it goes off.... update? how about now? yet? no? what about now? is it time yet? FUCK OFF

edit: oh yeah, and realplayer emssage centre that opens up with it aswell... what a useless piece of.... oh i cant be bothered you get the idea.
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by tony on 08-20-2006 at 03:33 PM

there's a real player alternative too.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Voldemort on 08-20-2006 at 03:53 PM

itunessssssssssssssssssss
too bad youve got to pay for anapod explorer, and that wmp cant do it...

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Thor on 08-20-2006 at 04:46 PM

My most annoying piece of software is Adobe Photoshop :P

It opens every time I just want to look at an Image :|

And I'm too lazy to uninstall it, would take ages :P

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by aNILEator on 08-20-2006 at 05:03 PM

change the file associations to open them in image and fax preview this can simle be done by right clicking->open with->choose program select previewer and then tick always use this program to open this kind of file

and i'm very surprised no one has said.............

Messenger Discovery :cheesy:

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Voldemort on 08-20-2006 at 05:29 PM

no one mentioned it because no one uses it.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by lrac522 on 08-20-2006 at 05:59 PM

I can’t seem to remember any but I know I had a few, reason is, when they started acting up I just use my medicine UNINSTALL… Oh! I nearly forget my dear little friend, IE7 (BIG ACCIDENT)(Y)

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by kotjze on 08-20-2006 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro

Right click a .jpg .gif .png and each other type of image and go to Properties. For "Opens With" click Change, and pick Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. :p Should work tbh
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Thor on 08-20-2006 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
as said.............
quote:
Originally posted by Kotjze
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro

Right click a .jpg .gif .png and each other type of image and go to Properties. For "Opens With" click Change, and pick Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. :p Should work tbh
Thankies :)
btw, before I used right clicked and choose Preview, but PS has replaced so that it opens in ImageReady :P

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by dylan! on 08-20-2006 at 08:48 PM

this gay ass program ting that is full of spyware and adware called messenger plus! live or something.... it just plain sucks :sad::refuck:

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by CookieRevised on 08-20-2006 at 09:15 PM

quote:

1) disassociate quicktime as the standard player if you have set it so (you don't need to disassociate the quicktime file extension though)
2) remove the startup entries for quicktime in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

never ever bothered me since...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My most annoying program would actually be the Windows Update Notification thingie which pops up after you've updated asking you to restart the PC....

Highly annoying when you can't restart yet because you're still working with stuff. And that process can't be killed; it will simply return...
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by ayjay on 08-20-2006 at 09:16 PM

Here's a solution to everything in this thread so far: http://distrowatch.com/

:P

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by M73A on 08-20-2006 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
theres a registry hack so you can choose a time for it to remind you.
Now, to get rid of it:
Start / Run / gpedit.msc / Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update / Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by andrewdodd13 on 08-20-2006 at 09:32 PM

Atm? Mines would have to be texvc - it's what makes maths work on wikipedia.

It works when I'm testing it, then when I need to use it for whatever reason it bombs out :(.

Apart from that, I mainly use alternatives (Quicktime Alternative, etc) so they don't annoy me that much :)

RE: RE: RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by ZrednaZ on 08-20-2006 at 10:27 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

My most annoying program would actually be the Windows Update Notification thingie which pops up after you've updated asking you to restart the PC....

Highly annoying when you can't restart yet because you're still working with stuff. And that process can't be killed; it will simply return...

There's an easier way. May not be that fancy, but.. click the notification and drag the new window down beyond the lower right corner your desktop so it's invisible. Problem solved. ;)
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by GiantSpider on 08-20-2006 at 10:35 PM

Doesn't work on the timed ones though.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by absorbation on 08-20-2006 at 10:37 PM

My most annoying software has to be Microsoft Office 2007. When will Microsoft relise I only have 256MB RAM and I can only wait so long before what I typed appears on the screen.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by M73A on 08-20-2006 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
There's an easier way. May not be that fancy, but.. click the notification and drag the new window down beyond the lower right corner your desktop so it's invisible. Problem solved. ;)

or what i posted:P it works! try it!
RE: RE: RE: RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by CookieRevised on 08-21-2006 at 12:05 AM

quote:
quote:

That would be nice...

quote:
Now, to get rid of it:
Start / Run / gpedit.msc (...)
That's for Windows XP Pro, not Home....

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
that's what I do now. I don't consider it solved though as this has some other drawbacks.
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by WDZ on 08-21-2006 at 04:32 AM

I usually don't install or use any annoying software... :p

quote:
Mines gotta be quicktime
Hmm, yeah, that's pretty annoying, but RealPlayer sucks even more. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Cookie
2) remove the startup entries for quicktime in the registry
It always adds itself back. :(
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by haydos on 08-21-2006 at 05:57 AM

All adobe products... not because they aren't good at all, but they just don't like to run quickly on my computer, and they like to freeze up other programs upon closing it. I suppose I'm inpatient.

The 5 minute timer before restart is a pain too

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Lourix on 08-21-2006 at 08:09 AM

Adobe stuff on my computer are fine for me.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by M73A on 08-21-2006 at 09:25 AM

Run regedit

In [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]

Edit > New > DWORD:
"RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled" with a value of "1"

Edit > New > DWORD:
"RebootRelaunchTimeout" with a value of the time in minutes until the next prompt. "1440" (24 hours) looks like the max. If you input "0" for this DWORD or the former, it will default to 10.

source: http://lifehacker.com/software/top/get-rid-of-win...art-nag-183976.php

RE: RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by CookieRevised on 08-21-2006 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Run regedit

DWORD:RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled=1

DWORD:RebootRelaunchTimeout=value of the time in minutes until the next prompt. "1440" (24 hours) looks like the max. If you input "0" for this DWORD or the former, it will default to 10.

(y) thank you :bow:
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by markee on 08-21-2006 at 10:39 AM

Mine would have to be windows updater when I say to reboot later it comes up every 2min asking "Do you want to reboot now?".  How many times do I have to say NO!?!?! :P

EDIT: I thought those restry edits were for adobe, but they're for windows update :cheesy: thanks

RE: RE: RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by dylan! on 08-21-2006 at 11:46 AM

quote:
quote:
Run regedit

DWORD:RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled=1

DWORD:RebootRelaunchTimeout=value of the time in minutes until the next prompt. "1440" (24 hours) looks like the max. If you input "0" for this DWORD or the former, it will default to 10.

(y) thank you :bow:

:refuck: I don't have this problem as I do not recieve full software and update support from microsoft as I could be a victim of software counterfiting8-)

* dylan! runs
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Nagamasa on 08-21-2006 at 02:28 PM

QuickTime. Some websites just love to piss me off when they force us to use QuickTime. And what I hate more is the installer for QuickTime. Gives me iTunes when I dont have an iPod, nor can I select to install iTunes or not.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Revrant on 08-22-2006 at 02:04 AM

Quicktime 7, 6 is fine, but Quicktime 7 is just Junk, can't skip, it crashes, can't have it on fullscreen, the audio just unsyncs without fail, comes with iTunes, which is a nonsense move, it's just a horribly coded application, no other player has given me more trouble. =\

Yahoo with Talk is tied with it all the same though, I have never gotten it to work, it just crashes left and right, can't click the interface, crash, can't click the status selection, crash, anything I click - Crash.

Bullcrap.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by DarkMe on 08-22-2006 at 02:12 AM

Windows Media Player 11 :dodgy:

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by prashker on 08-22-2006 at 02:27 AM

PartitionMagic 8 :sad:
* prashker uninstalled because it was mean to me

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by Voldemort on 08-22-2006 at 02:38 AM

Return to 10, thats what i did

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by DarkMe on 08-22-2006 at 02:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
Return to 10, thats what i did
maybe works :rolleyes:
RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by J.J on 08-22-2006 at 03:11 AM

WLM for me...biggest pain in the ass when loading at startup.

RE: What's Your Most Annoying Piece Of Software? by MC Inferno on 08-22-2006 at 11:25 PM

Nokia PC Suite

jus plain doesnt work and wont un-install. bastards.