Shoutbox

Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus (/showthread.php?tid=65167)

Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by andymc1989 on 08-20-2006 at 08:19 PM

It is annoying that some of your friends who don't have plus won't see your name properly and instead will see the format codes.

My suggestion is to have a phrase, for example, "Can't see my name properly, get Messenger Plus! Live @ www.msgpluslive.net"

You would put this at the start of your name and Plus would automatically remove it, but those without would still see it.

I hope you's understand what I mean.

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by CookieRevised on 08-20-2006 at 09:03 PM

I understand what you mean, but I also think many more people will not like that at all as this sounds more like those highly annoying advertisement trojans.

Intention is good and there is something to say about that idea, but I highly doubt this will be done.

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by andymc1989 on 08-20-2006 at 09:06 PM

It could be optional and turned off by default so people wouldn't be annoyed by it if they didn't like it.

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by mickael9 on 08-20-2006 at 09:29 PM

* Mickael has an idea
why not a "format map" after the text ?

For example,
My actual name is : [b][c=4]|\/|[/c] [c=12]I[/c] [c=3]C[/c] [c=5]|<[/c] [c=36]@[/c] [c=14]E[/c] [c=1]|_[/c][/b] (not easy to recognize the text :p)

It looks like this :
|\/| I C |< @ E |_

With a "format map" (from my imagination (A)) :
M I C |< @ E |_#{b; c-1=4; c2-3=12; c4-5=3; c6-7=5; c8-9=36; c10-11=14; c12-=1}

first character is 0-1 (and not 1-2), spaces are NOT ignored

b : all the name is in bold
c-1=4 : characters from [start] to 1 are in red (|\/|)
c2-3=12 :  characters from 2 to 3 are in blue (I)
[...]
c12-=1 : characters from 12 to [end] are in black (|_)

* Mickael will try to make a parser in php :p
* Mickael thinks nobody will understand :$

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by andymc1989 on 08-20-2006 at 09:36 PM

I understand it and it sounds an okay way of doing it, but it seems a little too complicated.

My idea is not only simple, but would get more people to download Msg Plus!

RE: RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by CookieRevised on 08-20-2006 at 11:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andymc1989
It could be optional and turned off by default so people wouldn't be annoyed by it if they didn't like it.
The problem is that other people, your contacts, will see it and be annoyed by it.

So you can disable/enabled all you want in your own messenger, but you can't change what others see (eg: you may find it usefull and not annoying, but all your contacts might find it annoying (I would :p) and they can not control the setting for you... and vice versa).
RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by kmcbest on 08-21-2006 at 08:40 AM

Yes, sometimes it's really annoying, as long as M$ has enabled nicknames, I keep my contact list clean with their real names.

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by joemailey on 08-21-2006 at 10:20 AM

People get more annoyed at seen my jibberish name lol than having a simple thing saying get plus i guess.

Use to wind me up so much seen stupid code for someone's name when i was testing WLM in its beta phrase

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by Nagamasa on 08-21-2006 at 12:22 PM

I sorta got really pissed at the dots and brackets when I'm not on a MP! computer. You cant read people's display name when they change colour every colour.

So in the end, I dont use dots or brackets.

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by artfuldodga on 08-21-2006 at 05:52 PM

How about a option as part of Plus! Preferences in which you would be able to set a display name ex) with color / format codes.  Then have a dialog where you can select all of your contacts whom you know are using Plus!

For your Contacts which you have not selected to see your Plus! Friendly name, they will see whatever you have set in WLM's default Display Name field.

So..

1. Selected Contacts in the Plus! Prefernces will use the Plus! Display Name Field

2. Unselected will use WLM default Display Name Field.

I donno, its a stretch... i have no idea how WLM & plus! can work together :)

RE: Suggestion: Formatted names without Plus by Jesus on 08-21-2006 at 11:35 PM

@artfuldodga:
Won't be that easy since your nickname is stored on the server. AFAIK there's no way to put up 2 nicks at once.
Or your contact's MP!L will have to "know" you use MP!L too, and request the color codes seperately.
I don't know if that's possible in any way.