Shoutbox

wlm keeps disconnecting - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: wlm keeps disconnecting (/showthread.php?tid=65195)

wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-21-2006 at 01:07 PM

I recently installed wlm but i am facing a problem.It keeps disconnecting not even when i leave the pc open for many hours,but also when i am talking with someone..Why is this happening?If it could be a server issue why dont other contacts who live very close to me face the same problem?Pls let me know

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by RaceProUK on 08-21-2006 at 03:45 PM

There are literally hundreds of factors behind a dropping connection, ranging from the servers having an off day to your own network card playing up, with everything in between. It is possible to narrow this down somewhat, but only so far as finding out whether it's your PC or not.

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by Nagamasa on 08-21-2006 at 03:46 PM

Is your Internet program doing this also? If so it should be a problem on you side, if not, its WLM.

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-21-2006 at 04:43 PM

Is your Internet program doing this also?

no i can visit websites...So there's something with wlm but i dont know what...

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by Lourix on 08-21-2006 at 07:35 PM

How long has this been happening?

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-21-2006 at 08:09 PM

from the day i got the adsl(1.5 year ago).It happens 1-2 times per day

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by FineWolf on 08-21-2006 at 09:05 PM

Do you have filters installed on every phone in the house?

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-21-2006 at 09:10 PM

why should i do that?

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by Nagamasa on 08-22-2006 at 05:05 AM

Try checking your computer for virus and spyware. Your connection problem might be caused by the ads.

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by NiteMare on 08-22-2006 at 05:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FineWolf
Do you have filters installed on every phone in the house?
quote:
Originally posted by ReD-RevolutioN
why should i do that?
DSL uses the other 90% of the phone cable that the 10% analog telephone communication does not use, with out filters, normal phone use, or simply having a phone, satalite, alarm system or a fax mashine hooked up to they phone line could disrupt the DSL signal causeing your modem to disconnect, the filters filter out the DSL signal from the phones and other stuff so that it does not interfere

also check the RJ-11 length(the phone cable from the wall to the modem), it should idealy be 6 feet or less, but the max it can be and still transmit safely is 20 feet

what you can also try is checking for packet loss, if you open command prompt, and type in:
code:
ping -n 20 google.com
that will ping google.com 20 times, look for where is says
code:
packets sent=20 resieved=20 loss=0 (0% loss)
if loss does not = 0 then you have packet loss

at that point i would suggest reseting TCP/IP and Winsock, should you have windows XP you can use these commands:

TCP/IP
code:
netsh int ip reset log
winsock
code:
netsh winsock reset catalog

if that still doesn't work you should contact your ISP tech support for frequent disconnects

ps, if your wondering how i know this, i'm a DSL tech support agent
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-22-2006 at 10:09 AM

i dont have any packet loss i checked it with the commands u told me.As for the filter i have one that interferes between the router and the telephone line..

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by Oxy on 08-22-2006 at 11:22 AM

are you using a p2p program like limewire or morpheus? i've heard that can interfere with wlm...

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-22-2006 at 11:39 AM

i dont remember maybe sometimes i had both mirc and limewire connected...

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by NiteMare on 08-22-2006 at 04:07 PM

quote:
As for the filter i have one that interferes between the router and the telephone line..
do you mean you have a filter on the phone cord that connects to the modem?

if so try directly connecting it to the wall
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-22-2006 at 04:44 PM

i meant i have a filter that interferes between the wall and the router...

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by RaceProUK on 08-23-2006 at 10:37 AM

quote:
i meant i have a filter that interferes between the wall and the router...
It doesn't 'interfere', it 'interfaces'. And you need the filter there for two reasons:
1. To allow phone use at the same time as Internet.
2. To prevent an incoming phone call causing the ADSL modem problems.

And since you don't have packet loss, trying without the filter won't show any improvement.
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-23-2006 at 01:32 PM

any other suggestion in order to solve the problem?I have msn disconnecting even when i am talking with my friends.This happens with mirc too disconnecting me because of software causing connection abort..

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by NiteMare on 08-23-2006 at 05:47 PM

well you could try checking your modem stats, to see if your getting errors, or have bad signal noise resolution, or attenuation, but with out knowing your ISP's firmware on the modem i can't really help you get there, i would call your ISP's tech support

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by Pickles on 08-23-2006 at 08:10 PM

Actually, i am ALSO having the same problem as ReD-RevolutioN with wlm. However, i think it could possibly have something to do with Messenger Plus! Live instead of wlm itself.

The problem is that I get disconnected from wlm every hour or less especially when i'm in the middle of a msn conversation with someone. I can't even receive big files anymore because it would just keep disconnecting me every now and then for a minute or so.

I know this is not a network problem on my side because I've done the packet loss test suggested above, I've never had this bad experience with any of the msn messengers before, and i can always use the internet while getting disconnected from wlm.

Could the devs be so kind to help or check messenger plus! live for this kind of bugs?

In addition, could anyone tell me how to do a CLEAN UNINSTALL of Windows LIVE Messenger AND Messenger Plus! Live? I've tried to reinstall both using Add/Remove Programs but maybe some files were still left on my computer after the simple uninstallation.

Thanks alot for your kind help.

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by NiteMare on 08-23-2006 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pickles
Actually, i am ALSO having the same problem as ReD-RevolutioN with wlm. However, i think it could possibly have something to do with Messenger Plus! Live instead of wlm itself.

The problem is that I get disconnected from wlm every hour or less especially when i'm in the middle of a msn conversation with someone. I can't even receive big files anymore because it would just keep disconnecting me every now and then for a minute or so.

I know this is not a network problem on my side because I've done the packet loss test suggested above, I've never had this bad experience with any of the msn messengers before, and i can always use the internet while getting disconnected from wlm.

Could the devs be so kind to help or check messenger plus! live for this kind of bugs?

In addition, could anyone tell me how to do a CLEAN UNINSTALL of Windows LIVE Messenger AND Messenger Plus! Live? I've tried to reinstall both using Add/Remove Programs but maybe some files were still left on my computer after the simple uninstallation.

Thanks alot for your kind help.
well there are other reasons for frequent disconnects tehn just packet loss

it could be a bad phone line,  faulty filter, bad modem, problem on the ISP side and so on

i don't know why i didn't suggest this earlyer, pwr cycle the modem, so unplug the power cable, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-23-2006 at 09:48 PM

what will this help?

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by NiteMare on 08-23-2006 at 09:53 PM

quote:
what will this help?
power cycleing may help, the best bet would to call your ISP's tech support they'll be able to look closer and see if you need o tget it repaired or not
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-23-2006 at 10:28 PM

repair what??i dont really understand

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by NiteMare on 08-23-2006 at 10:40 PM

quote:
repair what??i dont really understand
it looks like there may be a problem with the DSL on there end or with your modem, contact them and see what they say
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by jmccarroll on 08-24-2006 at 12:09 AM

Just throwing this out there, but if you think it's Plus! related have you tried running WLM by itself without Plus! installed?

Do you have any scripts installed?

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-24-2006 at 08:54 AM

i dont have a script or even plus installed

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by RaceProUK on 08-24-2006 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jmccarroll
if you think it's Plus! related
It won't be: Plus! doesn't alter how Messenger connects at all. It does monitor the connection though I think, but that shouldn't cause connection dropping.
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-24-2006 at 12:42 PM

i can visit websites etc but mirc and msn disconnect

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by Lourix on 08-24-2006 at 01:34 PM

Well sometimes it disconnects because of the servers but that cant be the problem. Seek a expert who lives near you or phone up for one.

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by RaceProUK on 08-24-2006 at 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lourix
Well sometimes it disconnects because of the servers but that cant be the problem.
Why not? After all, servers are computers themselves, and like all computers, they have problems sometimes.
RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by Lourix on 08-24-2006 at 04:40 PM

He has said it has been happening for ages. A year infact.

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ReD-RevolutioN on 08-25-2006 at 02:29 PM

as i can see a solution is not going to be found.Anyway can someone tell me if there is a program that can inform me if and when wlm disconnected??

I want f.e when i am sleeping to have wlm opened to see when i wake up if it disconnected and when

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by sinoevil on 01-03-2008 at 12:45 AM

WLM has been disconnecting since I set up my network thru a Trendnet router. I noticed that the time was set improperly on the router. WLM runs fine now and anytime it disconnects, first thng I do is check if the time is correct on the router and any computer on the network. After all the times are properly set WLM works fine! Hope it helps!

RE: wlm keeps disconnecting by ElJakker on 03-08-2010 at 02:06 PM

I also have this exact same problem. Messenger keeps signing me out about every 1-5 minutes, one moment it's worse than another. Anyway, I've had this problem ONLY after I've installed the newest versions of MSN Plus, This has been going on now for a few months in a row now and have tried every solution I could possibly find. I even had 2 friends trying to help me out, of which one is quite an expert and on top of all I even formatted my pc again and installed WLM without MSN Plus to see if that would make a difference....and it did. I haven't been disconnected even once over the entire week and as soon as I've installed MSN Plus....the shit's been hitting the van right away again. Please dear developers....it's gotta be due to MSN Plus somehow 'cause I've never had this problem before installing the latest few versions of MSN Plus. I do have to be online in 2 several accounts for personal and business contacts....so could anyone please sort this problem or post a solution here and on other forums? Thx and good luck with it ! :)